SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you're going to be drag racing at the airport, make sure there are no airplanes around
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you're going to be drag racing at the airport, make sure there are no airplanes around Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
http://www.heraldextra.com/new...dd-43ac67d5a51a.html

quote:
A Corvette driver participating in a drag race with another car crashed into a small airplane stopped on the taxiway at Spanish Fork-Springville Airport on Friday evening.

Sgt. Cade Harding with Spanish Fork Public Safety said the drivers were invited into the security area of the airport by an individual with a hangar at the facility. He said those additional individuals didn’t have authorization to be at the airport.

The Corvette and a Porsche were reportedly drag racing on the taxiway. During one of the races at about 8:30 p.m., a single-engine plane preparing to depart stopped on the taxiway and stopped its engine to investigate a mechanical issue.

While the plane was stopped, the Corvette struck the plane causing damage to the plane’s wheel and possibly part of its tail, Harding said.

There was also damage to the passenger side of the Corvette.

No one was injured in the incident, including the plane’s instructor and student.

Harding said the two car drivers would likely be charged with reckless driving. He indicated that drag racing isn’t necessarily a sanctioned activity at the airport, particularly when there were flight operations. The airport does accommodate flights after sunset.

The National Transportation Safety Board was contacted about the incident and Harding said airport personnel were going to address matters on their end.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would hope they know there are numerous FAA laws broken and enforced there. Is local p.d. only charging them with reckless driving?

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sloppy reporting. What model of Vette and Porsche? 911 with or without turbos? Z07?

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
... and the vette driver wasn't injured in a beat down after hitting an airplane on an active taxiway? Hmmmm

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is local p.d. only charging them with reckless driving?

Because they don't have the authority to charge those crimes.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
So who won? Jeez, man. Don't leave us hanging like that.

Big Grin

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I would hope they know there are numerous FAA laws broken and enforced there. Is local p.d. only charging them with reckless driving?

Local cops can enforce federal laws? Learn something new every day.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
8:30pm is after dark. Real smart, drag racing in the dark on an airport.

Posts: 9399 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Someone had better have a lot of insurance.

We had some racing retards show up at our airport a while back.
I hate street racers. They are a menace.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:

Yes they do.
In fact a local agency LEO can ask for my credentials and I must comply.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/resources/law_enforcement/

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would hope they know there are numerous FAA laws broken?
What "FAA laws?" Can you give us a specific reference?

I ask this in view of the fact that some of the hangars at Our Little Airport are owned by car and / or motorcycle enthusiasts. Ferraris, various collectible model Porsches, etc. We (airplane drivers) see unsanctioned vehicle activities, but to the best of my knowledge there are no "FAA laws" being broken. Bear in mind that I take FAA written exams at least every two years, there are fairly extensive sections of the exams that cover rules and regulations, and I have never seen anything that would prohibit this activity. I have been teaching, as a commercial pilot and flight instructor, for more than fifty years, and believe me, we do a pretty thorough job of dealing with the FARs (Federal Aviation Regulations).

Maybe somebody with more knowledge will chime in. I know that we have both active and retired Air Traffic Controllers here on the forum; they probably have the many rule-books memorized. Although their knowledge of surface operations at airports is likely to be only at those airports that have control towers; it appears that there was no tower at this airport, or if there was a tower, it was likely not in operation (many control towers at other than very large, busy airports, shut down overnight).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
"I have been teaching, as a commercial pilot and flight instructor, for more than fifty years.....Maybe somebody with more knowledge will chime in"

I don't expect anyone else to contradict you, Sir! Big Grin

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the Vette lost the coin toss and was given the wrong lane to be in. He may find his insurance doesn't take kindly to "racing" and elects to not cover the damage to his car or the plane.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Give the vette driver a 609 ride!!!

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smile
in the early 60's , the kid with the caddy in high school had keys to the gates at the local airport
as soon as we hit 100 m.p.h. , he would have to clamp down on the brakes, to get her stopped in time.

I would usually start getting car sick.

how do they choose run way numbers?

is there a rhyme or reason to the numbers they choose?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
how do they choose run way numbers?

is there a rhyme or reason to the numbers they choose?

Take a close look at the map you posted and I'll bet you can figure it out, think compass points / 10 Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the FAA would penalize the driver of the car if he also holds a pilot's license? Something about "obstruction of a runway" or "operating unsafely around aircraft" or some such.

I'm not a pilot, but I do work in aviation. The pilots affectionately refer to us as "self-loading baggage" Smile

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I don't see how it can be against any FAA rules, as I have seen several organized drag racing events held at small airports.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15694 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:

Yes they do.
In fact a local agency LEO can ask for my credentials and I must comply.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/resources/law_enforcement/

In VA, while I was still sworn, federal laws could only be enforced by local or state officers when they were part of a federal task force (sworn as federal agents).

At the same time, VA state police and Fairfax Co. police were the only agencies that could investigate aircraft accidents, other than the feds.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Local LE, and even the Feds, have fairly limited jurisdiction at our airport.

The hangars and hangar lots are individually owned. Each owner is an owner / member of the Airport Owners Association which, in turn, owns the common areas like runway, taxiways, fuel farm, etc.

Vehicular activity on the surface of the airport is not within the jurisdiction of any agency unless that agency is asked by the Owners Association to enforce something.

So, for example, the local PD cannot just come in and cite somebody for racing a motorcycle up and down the runway.

Of course, they certainly have the same authority over criminal activities as they would on any other private property, but they can't just lurk and cite somebody for ignoring the one and only STOP sign on the airport, or exceeding the posted 15 mph speed limit.

I'm not sure where the line is drawn, but I'm guessing that if something is legal to do on your own farm property, for example, then it's just as legal on our airport.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post