SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody know about Skype?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody know about Skype? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Thread drift for the geeks that care.

Skype the change from p2p to cloud

https://arstechnica.com/inform...lephant-in-the-room/

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Come on guys, he's asking about a Skype issue and not what to use instead.

Because it's a reasonable suggestion?

No, because it's just like folks screaming buy an Apple computer when someone starts a thread asking for help about their Windows unit. It unhelpfully doesn't address the OP's qusetion. Get it? Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Come on guys, he's asking about a Skype issue and not what to use instead.

Because it's a reasonable suggestion?

No, because it's just like folks screaming buy an Apple computer when someone starts a thread asking for help about their Windows unit. It unhelpfully doesn't address the OP's qusetion. Get it? Smile

Kinda is different. Smile

If someone is using a Windows computer they don't have a Mac in front of them. When using an iPad to Skype to another iPad you have facetime available right there.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16395 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
comet24,

You're still missing it. Jallen asked about a Skype issue NOT about what else could be used. It's that simple and no matter how much some of you want to spin things answers touting different programs simply DO NOT address the OP's query period.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
comet24,

You're still missing it. Jallen asked about a Skype issue NOT about what else could be used. It's that simple and no matter how much some of you want to spin things answers touting different programs simply DO NOT address the OP's query period.

I disagree.

While he was asking about Skype issues, the suggestion TO USE THE NATIVE,BULIT-IN video chat app on each of the iPads at each end is not the same thing as squawking "get a Mac". If anything it's more like "I can't get this frozen bolt loose with ABC socket" and someone saying "try using XYZ socket instead!".

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
After action report.

My wife returned tonight, safe and sound. Yea!

In questioning her about the Skype misadventure, I think it is most likely that the reason for being successful earlier and not later is that at the reception, she had wifi coverage. At the wedding dinner, in a different part of the facility, thick rock walls, she did not have wifi signal.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post