SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    BBQ beef or pork? What's your preference?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BBQ beef or pork? What's your preference? Login/Join 
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
As I am not there, you're a bastard; but a MAGNIFICENT bastard.

Beef, brisket. Pork, ribs.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
Don't forget Jackfruit. Grilled in a skillet with BBQ sauce..instant Sloppy Joe.

Feel free.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Always, always pork. Raised in the SEC.

Then........ I moved to Texas for 6 years. OhSWEETbabyjeebus!!!

Beef please.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12416 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Beef brisket is BBQ, everyday, twice on Sundays. Since moving to TX, I have ordered brisket in BBQ joints 100% of the time.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Texas beef is King, always has been, always will be.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 726 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
I've been in SC my whole life...pulled pork is my favorite. I'm always fascinated by the "regional" differences in pulled pork...I would assume this is true in more areas than just SC.

In SC, the upper part of the state seems to prefer mustard based, while the lower part of the state (getting near the low country and coast) prefers vinegar based. And in-between, a lot of people love the sweet and smokey sauces.
Personally, if pulled pork is done right, I prefer no sauce at all. If forced to choose a sauce, I go with vinegar based.

When we went to Austin, TX last fall, we went to The Salt Lick in Driftwood. I will admit, the brisket burnt ends...some of the best stuff I've ever put in my mouth, followed closely by their ribs!

Posts: 740 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pork

Only Texas can screw up both BBQ and chili......

Eek

Posts: 465 | Location: Pell City, AL. U.S. | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I like to visit North Carolina, but I don't like the "vinegary" BBQ.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
Is this another Karma?

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Well, on the North American continent, this is the original barbeque. This pork barbecue with the thin, vinegary sauce makes a good sandwich but damn they need to stop sloppin' the barbecue sauce into the slaw!

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic15al:
Pork

Eek

Well. I’ve never been to Alabama, so I guess I’ll reserve my judgment on how ya’ll BBQ. But I will say, being born and raised in west Texas and spending many summer days in central Texas, I never knew we had screwed BBQ up or chili. Granted, going from El Paso to about Odessa, the definition of chili goes from something that’s 100% vegetable to something that’s 99% meat with some dried chili’s thrown in for color, but aside from that, I’m scratching my head. I have to wonder at what is so amazing compared to the brisket I grew up on that you’d be inclined to make such a bold statement? Smile

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pawprintsdoc:
I've been in SC my whole life...pulled pork is my favorite. I'm always fascinated by the "regional" differences in pulled pork...I would assume this is true in more areas than just SC.

In SC, the upper part of the state seems to prefer mustard based, while the lower part of the state (getting near the low country and coast) prefers vinegar based. And in-between, a lot of people love the sweet and smokey sauces.
Personally, if pulled pork is done right, I prefer no sauce at all. If forced to choose a sauce, I go with vinegar based.

When we went to Austin, TX last fall, we went to The Salt Lick in Driftwood. I will admit, the brisket burnt ends...some of the best stuff I've ever put in my mouth, followed closely by their ribs!

Then there's also GA, AL, and NC. GA likes a thicker mustardy vinegary sauce on/in their pulled pork which is good, NC has the vinegar with a bunch of spices and I like that a lot on pulled Pork. Then AL has that godforsaken white sauce which I'm not sure what you're supposed to do with.....hehehee…..

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by medic15al:
Pork

Eek

Well. I’ve never been to Alabama, so I guess I’ll reserve my judgment on how ya’ll BBQ. ...... I have to wonder at what is so amazing compared to the brisket I grew up on that you’d be inclined to make such a bold statement? Smile

I grew up there, and lived there a total of 35 years so I can help you out.

It's shit. And to find the least shittiest of the shitty, you'd think you could get in a car and drive somewhere and stumble across something decent. Nope, just stay home and save the gas.

I'm not saying there aren't a bunch of really good BBQ cooks in the state, but most of them are cordoned off in their own neighborhood or back yard. Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur being the possible exception.

While living in TX we would regularly plan a Saturday of driving and eating, centered around 2 or 3 stops. Occasionally found one that was meh, but all in all almost every place was good to great. Standard sample was some pork, brisket, a sausage. If they had beef ribs on menu we'd peel off something else and find some Tums for the balance of trip!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12416 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Its for sure and acquired taste.

That being said and having lived on the East cost (VA and NC) for 14 yrs total and TX for 20, I gotta admit to loving them both (BBQ beef brisket and East NC style shredded pork BBQ). Is that so wrong?

Also like a nice smoked boston butt and baby back pork ribs (don't care for beef ribs).

If I had to pick one, it would be brisket though.

After moving back to NC last year, we found a place 6 mins from the house that does ribs, pork BBQ and brisket all amazingly well, and occasionally makes delicious burnt ends...its possible that the location of the restaurant may subconsciously have contributed to our home selection.

quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post