SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    K9 Handlers (all types) looking for some tips/advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

K9 Handlers (all types) looking for some tips/advice Login/Join 
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted
Hi Gang,

It's been awhile since I have posted. There have been lot's of ups and downs over the last couple years. Suffice to say I am looking for a new career...

I would be open to any type of K9 handler position aside from the pest control side of things. Because, well, yuck!

Of course I understand it will take a huge commitment of time, energy and education. But I have the drive. (OR RN for 14+ yrs)

I have picked the brain of a K9 handler online and he offered some good thoughts and a few leads.

But, I would also love to hear what the K9 handlers here have to say. Have any of you come from the civilian world straight into K9 handling?

Any thoughts on classes, internships, etc. Is it even possible?

I am kicking myself a bit for not following my original path in criminal justice. OR Nursing was good but now it's time to do something else I love.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and your time!

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Do you specifically mean law enforcement k9 handling?

It is nearly impossible to just walk into that from the street.

I’d imagine something like search and rescue with a volunteer group could be done. But unless you’re buddies with the sheriff, zero to k9 is a 5+ year track in most places. And even then it’s not guaranteed.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
No probably would have to be private sector.

Detection dogs, S&R, Tracking...seem to be the most likely.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

One major problem with civilian handlers is the reluctance of LE to call on civilian handlers. Crime scene processing is the main stumbling block. (They *the civilians*) will futz up the crime scene as far as evidence goes. My wife taught a class for civilian handlers to overcome this prejudice, and this resulted in 40+ civilian cadaver teams being deployed at the Pentagon in September 2001. It's tough being a civilian handler, though, and being accepted.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: henryaz,

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
SAR is a voluntary gig most places. You sound like you're looking for a paying job.

Posts: 2460 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I don't have any advice regarding the k9 bit but I'm sensitive when it comes to people's livelihoods. I wish you the best and I'm certain you'll come through fine.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BradleyS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Do you specifically mean law enforcement k9 handling?

It is nearly impossible to just walk into that from the street.

I’d imagine something like search and rescue with a volunteer group could be done. But unless you’re buddies with the sheriff, zero to k9 is a 5+ year track in most places. And even then it’s not guaranteed.

This information is spot on. I worked patrol for about 8 years, before being selected as a K-9 handler. It was no doubt the best gig I had, even with all the work and frustration.

Isaiah 6:8

Posts: 618 | Location: Salisbury | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
I sure do understand needing a job change, but what about money? I know little about K9 handlers, but I can't think that it would pay like being an OR RN. Maybe some day, but not for years. Sorry to be a wet blanket, and wishing you the best whatever you decide.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Thanks all... I am not concerned with the difference in pay. I live small and my happiness is more important then my paycheck.

I will be past the age limit for most local PD's in no time and in some areas I think I already am. So going through school and working my way up in a department is probably out of the question.

I will keep researching and see what might turn up. There are programs out there to become a trainer in various disciplines so that may be an option.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I think working towards becoming a professional dog trainer would be a better path, we have a local guy who does pretty well.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I handled a dog for about 8 years, and it was the most rewarding 8 years of my career.

However, I wouldn't do it again. It is a lot of work. A lot of work.

The problem with getting on in the good paying jobs on the commercial side is that most all of them get picked over by retired LE and .mil handlers that have 10+ years handling a dog. I say that as "breaking in" to the business is probably going to be pretty tough for you.

Don't give up, though. You never know.

AS Rhino said, there are a bunch of opportunities in the training side. You might be able to look at some of the larger providers and see if they have any openings.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Dunno about where you live now, but the area you moved away from has several large and active civilian SAR groups. Many of the teams are also trained in cadaver detection.

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Thanks again... I won't give up. Life is too short! Smile

posted Hide Post
I would agree with starting as a dog trainer. Getting in with a well known trainer/group/organization, would be a good start. Helps you learn and gets you known in the training circles.

Here around Pittsburgh there are two very well known K9 training companies. They train the dog to sell to Police and train the handler. You can look for one close to you and see if they need help.

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I’ve trained dogs for a long time. My own and for others. Breeders make money, nobody else makes too much. When I first got into Schutzhund I figured out the lay of the land quick, same for SAR. A SAR trainer saw me working one of my dogs hard one afternoon and invited me and my k9 to his classes to school some of his students and get me familiar with what they do. There isn’t any money in that, he told me he doesn’t make much, maybe enough to feed his dogs, about it. It’s a hobby or passion. Schutzhund you have to have a litter from a titled dam or a titled Sire to stud out. Even then it ain’t a living.

You could make a living with the busters and their pets. But you’ll be training not so intelligent animals, and it will be the basics. I could not deal with the clientele. I’ve done that and hated it. It’s really train the trainer and it sucks training people then they go off and do whatever they think is best or nothing st all.
Out of 10 people/dogs, you’ll get lucky to get 1 in 10 to stick to it.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
OP is inspiring. Nice to see someone pursue their dreams.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
If you are under the age of 40, Border Patrol is hiring. As for K9s. Like any other agency you would have to prove yourself in the field as a line agent first and compete for a K9 Handler slot, but during that time you'd work is fairly close proximity to the K9 handlers so you'd see how the program works.

We have agent EMTs. With your medical background you could probably pick up one of those slots pretty easily.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/490196400

Posts: 11158 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the kind words and suggestions.

SL ... unfortunately I am not under 40 (Only in mindset Wink )

When you say "Agent EMT's" you mean with Border Patrol as well? If so, that's too bad. It would be nice to get a foot in the door there.

Looking at these as a possibility:

http://highlandcanine.com

http://interquestk9.com Perhaps getting something going locally here with my close proximity to both Md and Va. Not sure about franchising though and that would be the only way without relocating. It would be a booming business in this area I have no doubt.

Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Yes, they are Border Patrol Agents with extra training and certification as EMTs. They go to the field with their shift to respond to any aliens, or agents, found to be in distress.

Posts: 11158 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Ahhh I see. Thanks! Missed my window darn it!