SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Human Skull Discovered Sitting on Fireplace Mantle for Over a Year and Sporting Sunglasses Positively Identified as Man Missing in Morgan County TN
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Human Skull Discovered Sitting on Fireplace Mantle for Over a Year and Sporting Sunglasses Positively Identified as Man Missing in Morgan County TN Login/Join 
posted
https://www.wjhl.com/news/skul...ssing-tennessee-man/

WARTBURG, Tenn. (WATE) — A skull that wound up on a Tennessee resident’s fireplace mantle belonged to a man who had been missing since Sept. 2012, a DNA test determined.

According to District Attorney General Russell Johnson, the Morgan County Sheriff’s Office retrieved the skull, sporting sunglasses, after getting a tip. The Morgan County resident who had the skull said someone else found it in March, 2019 in the Gobey area, less than 10 miles northeast.

A DNA test by the Knox County Regional Forensics Center and the University of Tennessee Department of Anthropology found it belonged to Junior Willie McCann. The match was made using DNA from McCann’s family members.

“Speculation and rumor has been that Junior Willie McCann was possibly killed by a family member who is now deceased as well,” Johnson wrote in a statement.

Investigators performed “an extensive search” in the area where the skull was said to have been found. Authorities are now reaching out to the public for information into McCann’s death.

No arrests had been made as of Monday evening.

Russell Johnson
16 hours ago

Human Skull Discovered Sitting on Fireplace Mantle for Over a Year and Sporting Sunglasses Positively Identified as Man Missing in Morgan County Since 2012 - [Search for additional remains yielded no results.

The Morgan County Sheriff’s Office has been informed that a positive identification (through DNA testing performed by Knox County Regional Forensics Center and the UT Department of Anthropology) has been made of a human skull that was found allegedly in March of 2019 by an individual in the Gobey area of Morgan County. Someone subsequently placed the skull on a fireplace mantle where a pair of sunglasses were added. The skull remained there until the Sheriff's Office was informed of its existence. The MCSO retrieved the skull and sent it for testing using DNA from family members of Junior Willie McCann who had been missing since September 2012. The DNA from the family members and the skull were a match.

An extensive search was made - at the time of the skull being taken 'into custody' by the MCSO, TDOC and others - of the area where the skull had been found (according to the man who supposedly found it). Speculation and rumor has been that Junior Willie McCann was possibly killed by a family member who is now deceased as well. Regardless, Morgan County Sheriff Wayne Potter has requested that anyone with information related to Junior Willie McGann or other persons who remain missing, please contact the Morgan County Sheriff's Office at (423) 346-6262.

Posts: 12658 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Who the hell does this? An actual human skull on a mantlepiece with sunglasses on it? WTF is wrong with people?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Who the hell does this? An actual human skull on a mantlepiece with sunglasses on it? WTF is wrong with people?

Even for TN, Morgan County is pretty remote and backwoods. Kind of like Kentucky coal country - hills and hollers where you could dump a body and nobody find it for a long long time.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Tennessee, if'n we'uns don't like you'uns,..........................besides, it has always been a tradition to hang animal skulls on our walls as a trophy to our hunting skills. Cool

Posts: 1626 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I don't get it, you get found with a hawk feather you face federal jail time. Human skull on your fireplace? NBD.

Posts: 6345 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Apparently, some towering intellect thought the human skull with shades was a conversation starter.

Posts: 1967 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
Apparently, some towering intellect thought the human skull with shades was a conversation starter.
Well, I think he may have been right about that.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bdylan:
Apparently, some towering intellect...

"You mean it's really not a plastic Halloween prop?"

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2103 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
quote:

Even for TN, Morgan County is pretty remote and backwoods. Kind of like Kentucky coal country - hills and hollers where you could dump a body and nobody find it for a long long time.

lotta holes in the mountains of Eastern KY, a deep hole, a couple bags of lime and your problem goes away permanently

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Forget the fact that it’s on the mantle wearing shades. Let’s back this truck up a bit further.

WHO THE HELL FINDS A RANDOM HUMAN SKULL AND SAYS “IMA PICK THAT UP.” MUCH LESS “IMA PICK THAT UP AND TAKE IT HOME.”

I mean. GAHHHH.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Forget the fact that it’s on the mantle wearing shades. Let’s back this truck up a bit further.

WHO THE HELL FINDS A RANDOM HUMAN SKULL AND SAYS “IMA PICK THAT UP.” MUCH LESS “IMA PICK THAT UP AND TAKE IT HOME.”

I mean. GAHHHH.

This guy...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southern Rebel:
In Tennessee, if'n we'uns don't like you'uns,..........................besides, it has always been a tradition to hang animal skulls on our walls as a trophy to our hunting skills. Cool

I've got no problem with either part of this. Honestly. Deer skulls nailed to barns is an old tradition in hunting, and, well, knocking off enemies and disposing of their remains goes back to Caine and Abel. As for mountain Tennessee being a pretty good place to dispose of bodies, I've go to say, Central Florida is no slouch, either. People who disappear here tend to stay disappeared.

I'm coming at this more from cslinger's perspective; who finds a human skull in the woods wearing shades, and thinks to themselves, "This would look great on my buddy's mantlepiece."

Not "Gee, some family lost a hunter. I think I'll call the cops so they can have some closure." or even "Hey, look a murder victim. Probably ought to call the cops."

No, this genius decides to pack the skull and shades out, swing by a friend's house and say the redneck equivalent of "Hey slick, I gots you something nice. You and you're old lady will love it. Goes great with the curtains and carpet."

Not to mention ryan's point about hawk feathers and jail time.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
As for mountain Tennessee being a pretty good place to dispose of bodies, I've go to say, Central Florida is no slouch, either. People who disappear here tend to stay disappeared.
Hmmm. Lake Jesup leaps immediately to mind. Wink And I'm with you on the "this thing would look great on a fireplace mantle" thing.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:

Sounds like a line I heard on Justified once! Eek

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm coming at this more from cslinger's perspective; who finds a human skull in the woods wearing shades, and thinks to themselves, "This would look great on my buddy's mantlepiece."

When I first read the article I assumed the shades were added as an artistic touch but now that I think about it, maybe not. Either way pretty wierd

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nasig:
quote:

When I first read the article I assumed the shades were added as an artistic touch but now that I think about it, maybe not. Either way pretty wierd
I also thought the shades were just an artistic touch added later.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/tw5kRvCZ_Ng

Sort of sums it up. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Hmmm. Lake Jesup leaps immediately to mind. Wink And I'm with you on the "this thing would look great on a fireplace mantle" thing.

We don't need no stinking holes.....

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bob ramberg
posted Hide Post
This thread is worthless without pictures. Cool

Bob
Carpe Scrotum

Posts: 1366 | Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Madiganistan | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
It’s not so surprising if you met some of the drug heads in the hills of Tennessee. Remember a few years back when there was a alcohol “butt chugging” scandal at University of Tennessee Knoxville? No one I’d associate with ever thought sticking alcohol in your ass was good for anything up to and including getting drunk.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post