SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jay Leno’s Garage—Merlin Aircraft Engine
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jay Leno’s Garage—Merlin Aircraft Engine Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
I love this sort of thing, and I believe lots of members here do as well. Leno acquired a Packard-built RR Merlin aircraft engine. He had it restored to its full glory as a demonstration engine. He explains in detail how it works and then lights it up.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Wow.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
He needs to find a P-51 to wrap around it.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Jay is the man.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7489 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

Wrong Merlin, Jays is a -1 which was used in the P40 Kittyhawk.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3440 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
quote:

Didn’t know that; I thought they were all Allisons

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Working for him must be a dream job for a mechanic.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Jay has all the coolest toys.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Jay has all the coolest $$$.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Very cool- ol Jay really has a passion pretty much unmatched. Good lord, to take a ride in that Lancaster at 9:30. What a thrill that would be

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I think the coolest sound I've ever heard was the sound of Merlin and Allison V-12's in the Unlimited Hydroplanes of the early 60's. Hearing 8 of those things on the front straight at full throttle is a full body experience. By that I mean that you felt them clear down to your bones as well as a full scale assault on your eardrums. Those were the days!

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Packard-built RR Merlin aircraft

I know very little about that particular engine but Jay mentions 4000 R.P.M. which seems awfully high for a WWII combat aircraft engine.

Posts: 1496 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A Merlin sounds great, but a Double Wasp is where its at.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got this old truck that needs an engine, I wonder if a person could...

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting really enjoyed it.

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I think the coolest sound I've ever heard was the sound of Merlin and Allison V-12's in the Unlimited Hydroplanes of the early 60's. Hearing 8 of those things on the front straight at full throttle is a full body experience. By that I mean that you felt them clear down to your bones as well as a full scale assault on your eardrums. Those were the days!

Jim
You got that right! The Thunderboats

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
quote:

Didn’t know that; I thought they were all Allisons

You can tell whether a P-40 has an Allison or a Merlin by whether or not it has a carb air intake scoop on the top of the engine cowling just behind the propellor. If it has a scoop, Allison. If not, Merlin.

Merlin

Allison

The Merlins used in P-40s did not have the same supercharger as those in P-51. In the P-40, the supercharger was 1 stage, 2 speed unit that gave the engine only slightly better high altitude performance over the Allison.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Every single one of the Packard-built Merlin engines came in its serially-numbered crate with a serial-numbered jig and tool kit, every single part of which was serial-numbered to match the engine and everything else. A retired engineer of my acquaintance has such a set of tool on the walls of his man-cave.

He also has the engine that goes with it.

He also displays it a couple of times a year. He opines that the Packard-built engines were all totally interchangeable, whereas the Rolls-Royce engines needed an amount of hand-fettling to get things fitting properly.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Amazing. Jay's work post-latenight redeems him, IMHO

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
One of the few who put their earned fortune to good use.

I admire Jay for it.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I know where one is sitting in front of a business.
Just sitting there.

Not many left after all the racers destroyed them.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post