SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jay Leno’s Garage—Merlin Aircraft Engine
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jay Leno’s Garage—Merlin Aircraft Engine Login/Join 
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I know there has been 79 years of human progress, but I don't think there has been anything sexier made since the P51 Mustang with a 1650 cubic inch supercharged V12!

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1881 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ibanda:
I know there has been 79 years of human progress, but I don't think there has been anything sexier made since the P51 Mustang with a 1650 cubic inch supercharged V12!

Let me introduce you to the five bladed, Griffon powered Spitfire.

Here's one with a teardrop canopy.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailhook 84:
quote:
Originally posted by ibanda:

Let me introduce you to the five bladed, Griffon powered Spitfire.

Here's one with a teardrop canopy.

That engine/propeller combination was so powerful it had the effect of making the aircraft somewhat longitudinally unstable until a new tail was designed!

Posts: 2550 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post. I really liked the look of the Spits (and P-51's) with the Malcolm Hood.

As for Unlimited Hydroplane races. I was super lucky to have gone to Hydroplane races at the Miami Marine Stadium in the early 80's when they were still racing those motors. Only a few were running the new turbines (both of which caught fire).

And to completely derail this, got to see Jimmy Buffett play at the same stadium, just before hurricane Andrew destroyed it.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I wonder what increase in power and efficiency and reduction in weight we could achieve now if the top engineers and scientists were designing piston aircraft engines and no jet engines? In other words, what would the state of the art be now, if it hadn't frozen in time 70 years ago?

Fun video.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
What a cool video.

Thanks for sharing.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, a great video. Those engines must have been state of the art as well as a piece of artwork. Built in the Packard plant in Detroit, no less.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I wonder what increase in power and efficiency and reduction in weight we could achieve now if the top engineers and scientists were designing piston aircraft engines and no jet engines? In other words, what would the state of the art be now, if it hadn't frozen in time 70 years ago?

Fun video.

A great deal.

Aluminum blocks, progressive supercharging, Fuel Injection, multiple valve and variable valve-train geometry are but a few things that proved greater power to rate and efficiency of power production.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
You can tell whether a P-40 has an Allison or a Merlin by whether or not it has a carb air intake scoop on the top of the engine cowling just behind the propellor. If it has a scoop, Allison. If not, Merlin.

Learn something new every day.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Fun video.

A great deal.

Aluminum blocks, progressive supercharging, Fuel Injection, multiple valve and variable valve-train geometry are but a few things that proved greater power to rate and efficiency of power production.

I have no doubt. We'll probably never know.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post