SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone Use Sling TV?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Use Sling TV? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
We are getting ready to move and I would really love to stick it to Comcrap and drop as much of them as possible except for internet which we are kind of stuck using as there is no FIOS in the area.

My wife really loves Food Network and Hallmark and I like BBCA and some other stuff. I see that Sling TV has those channels and was thinking that this service plus Neflix we already have and an OTA antenna would be all we really need anymore.

Anyone have Sling and do you like it?

As Comcrap loves to punish those who drop their shitty TV service with high standalone internet prices, I probably would get a cheaper bare bones TV + Internet and just never use their TV part.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RAEIndustries
posted Hide Post
If been using Sling TV for two years and have loved ot so far!!

Shawn Rife

www.raeind.com

Posts: 175 | Registered: October 25, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAEIndustries:
If been using Sling TV for two years and have loved ot so far!!

I'm still not 100% clear how it all works.

Right now we have Xfinity X1 and if we miss the start of a show we like to watch, say Big Bang Theory, we just wait until later that night or the next day and it's available on-demand. Does it work that way with Sling?

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
Over a year on Sling TV thru a Roku3 box. I am overall a happy customer.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1887 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Philo is new. Check it.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roku box + Sling TV here. It seems worth it.

I also get Netflix and One America News through the Roku.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:

One America News through the Roku.

That's another area I'm interested in going. I've been done with CNN since Election Night a year + ago, cannot stomach MSDNC and am quickly tiring of Fox News.

Is OAN live via the Roku app or is it just clips?

Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
As I understand it, DirecTV will also be going internet soon. ATT sees a way to avoid installers, installations, satellite, DVRs, etc.

People in the boonies are already looking for alternatives.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Is OAN live via the Roku app or is it just clips?

It seems like a live series of programs, but I am not really sure. They could be pre-recorded.

I watch CNN for a few minutes at random times every night just to verify (in amazement) that they really are devoted to CONTINUOUS 24/7/365 whining about and criticism of Trump. It is a phenomenon in itself!

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
If you like the channel line up is good. The line up just is not that good for us.
I get it for March, April, and June each year. Just so I can watch March Madness since a lot of the games are on TBS and TNT.
I prepay 3 months ($60) and get $50 towards a streaming device.

If they keep the device offers the same I'll get a Roku Ultra.
Though I am curious about the AirTV device just need to read more about it. Already know Rokus are solid.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckWall:
As I understand it, DirecTV will also be going internet soon. ATT sees a way to avoid installers, installations, satellite, DVRs, etc.

DirectTV Now already exists. I've been a Sling subscriber for over a year, and like it pretty well. I'm at the end of a 30-day, half-price trial of DirectTV Now and will probably dump Sling for it. Sling's base package is cheaper, but only has CNN for 24-hours "news." For $35, DTN provides all the fake-news channels, including Fox, and also has OAN. Initially I had some gripes about the DTN interface/remote, the biggest being there's no "last channel," button, but there's a decent workaround.

For me, DTN seems to be a bit better about almost never presenting a poor image, though it does buffer sometimes. One thing it doesn't have, as far as I know, is the ability to pause/rewind/ff any shows or channels. I could be wrong about that. Sling does allow pause/rewind/ff on at least some shows/channels.

There was a recent, fairly long thread on these same services you can search for.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sling is missing 2 channels I really like Discovery and NATGEO.

I have PSVUE and it's pretty cheap (the price stated has no other fees or taxes) and you can get as many channels as comcrap has and the quality is great. Can also watch it on up to 5 channels/devices for the same price. Check out the PSVUE tv.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I like sling but if your internet isn’t fast it can get choppy. Direct TV now has a similar steaming only service through Roku. I have Roku, Apple TV, and Chromecast and Roku is by far my favorite. I have 5 Rokus in my house and the other two don’t really get used. What’s nice about sling and direct TV is that now for a few bucks more you can get your local channels. Sling also has a lot of free preview weekends where you get the movie channels for free. A couple months back I got all the Epix channels for a preview and they never went away. I still have them all and my bill hasn’t changed. I think internet providers are getting wise cause the prices keep going up. I’m paying almost $100 for just internet and Spectrum (TWC) is the only option I have. No AT&T or Fios in my neighborhood.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I've had DTVNow for nearly a year. I jumped on it when they were offering over 100 channels for $35 a month. I still have it and am locked in at that price. Does buffer now and again but not even enough to be real annoying.

They cancelled me a few months ago because my cc expired and I forgot to update my cc account with them. Figured I was screwed on my $35 a month deal. I went to the site and got on chat with customer service. They restored my service at the same price. I was both surprised and pleased at that outcome.
I get it through Amazon Fire which is another service I like but because I get everything I need with DTVNOW I rarely watch anything on Amazon Fire.

Rusbro here is a link on how to rewind ff etc. with DTVNow.

Link

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckWall:

DirectTV Now already exists. I've been a Sling subscriber for over a year, and like it pretty well. I'm at the end of a 30-day, half-price trial of DirectTV Now and will probably dump Sling for it. Sling's base package is cheaper, but only has CNN for 24-hours "news." For $35, DTN provides all the fake-news channels, including Fox, and also has OAN. Initially I had some gripes about the DTN interface/remote, the biggest being there's no "last channel," button, but there's a decent workaround.

For me, DTN seems to be a bit better about almost never presenting a poor image, though it does buffer sometimes. One thing it doesn't have, as far as I know, is the ability to pause/rewind/ff any shows or channels. I could be wrong about that. Sling does allow pause/rewind/ff on at least some shows/channels.

There was a recent, fairly long thread on these same services you can search for.
DirectTV Now is releasing their cloud DVR sometime in December. I did a test drive of DTR a month ago, and liked it overall. The cloud DVR should resolve the FF and REW of live TV (something I want).

My only hesitation is with DTV being owned by AT&T which I loathe. Regardless, this is where TV is headed in the not too distant future.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Rusbro here is a link on how to rewind ff etc. with DTVNow.

Link

Thanks!

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Sling + Roku user. Love the combo.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I have Sling right now and stream it through a Roku box. Most of the stuff on it I don't really care for, at least not enough to justify $20/month. I do sign up for it on Sept 1 and keep it going through Dec 31, so I can get college football games on ESPN. After the season is over I cancel Sling and restart it again the next fall. Most of the stuff on TNT, AMC, etc., just doesn't interest me.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
No espn or cnn with philo. 16 buck packages.

https://try.philo.com

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had it for a while now (probably a year or so) with Roku and really like it. We also have Netflix and Hulu. We are paying less for all three than we did for satellite.

Posts: 5283 | Location: GA | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post