SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sarcastic replies in threads - Is it getting old, or am I just getting old?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sarcastic replies in threads - Is it getting old, or am I just getting old? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
No bendable. Your writings never offend me.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
In contrast to bendable we have Rhino. LOL

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
which bendable are we talking about?

A, 2, or D? Wink

posted Hide Post
i know what you're saying

sometimes you are expecting well-written responses worthy of the Wall Street Journal

sometimes what you get are frat-house sarcastic one-liners

don't take it too personal ... you just have to sort through it

i think of it as striking up conversation at a gunshow. some people you meet are right in line with your way of thinking

some are bitter at the world. some are wackos. Cool

-----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

I have this exact sign hanging down in the barn, a gift from my wife and daughters. I still smile every time I see it. Smile

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Sarcasm is a form of wit. Almost all standup comedy is based in sarcasm. There have actually been scientific studies which show that being exposed to sarcasm is good for the human brain, since it causes the mind to have to perform additional processing to discriminate the input.

I myself am sarcastic and employ sarcasm not infrequently as part of the my toolkit for moderating this forum. This is at the bottom of the escalation scale. These indirect hints, aimed at some member or other, are used by me in an effort to make a member think about their behavior in a thread. Sometimes, that's all it takes, but if not, then I'll move past hints and begin speaking directly. The next step is to simply point out to a member their behavior and how it's negatively impacting a discussion or the member's status among their peers. If these things don't work, the escalation scale becomes steep, damn close to vertical as a matter of fact.

Beyond that, I wouldn't want to be around people who are perfectly mannerly at all times, because, quite frankly, that would bore the ever-lovin' shit out of me. Sarcasm = wit = at least some degree of intelligence. But, as with all things, too much is too much, and in this forum, such excesses are dealt with appropriately.

This isn't a knitting circle. We aren't elderly ladies. This is a forum comprised overwhelmingly of male adults, and not just male adults, but male adults who take an active interest in manly pursuits and defense of self and family. Such a cadre will have some form of gauntlet through which each member may run at some point.

[John Wayne] That is all [/John Wayne]

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
male adults who take an active interest in manly pursuits and defense of self and family. Such a cadre will have some form of gauntlet through which each member may run at some point.

^^^^^
Yep. Not like the singing lumberjacks??

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
My recollection is that the comment was "It's the world's smallest violin playing 'Hearts and Flowers'."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnXOr8GvKcQ (skip the ad).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Rhino is in his forties. Hence the difference, plus he likes MEMES.

posted Hide Post
I totally agree. There are a couple of people on this forum (who I won't name) that will go into threads and just post some generic sarcastic sentence that has absolutely nothing to do with the thread. It's one thing if it's even somewhat relevant to the topic, but most times it is not.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sheeeit, some of you are straight up OLD! Big Grin

And Jimmy, I'll take drive by one liners any day over factually wrong purported as the gospel! Wink

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Stick a sock in it, Rhino.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I myself am sarcastic and employ sarcasm not infrequently...

I have not noticed this. Going forward I will endeavor to be more observant. Thanks for the heads up.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Funny, I was under the impression that you already had your head up.

posted Hide Post
At times, yes. Keeps my ears warmer in the winter. Can be helpful when shooting rifle matches, as one gets more comfy being in windy conditions.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
At times, yes. Keeps my ears warmer in the winter.
Maybe you can sell your own custom hat style on Amazon. You could call it the derriear.

Unlike the target at shooting matches, I shoot back. Happy now?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
You could call it the derriear.

hmmmm....worth a shot. I may just do some digging through the bowels of the web to make certain there are no patent or copyright infringements. But, all this may take a back seat to other things cooking in the pot.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, you'd better finish up and flush. The cleaning crew might be coming in any moment and they're awfully efficient.