SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boy Scouts On Verge Of Bankruptcy
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boy Scouts On Verge Of Bankruptcy Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wasabibill:
The retired Chief Executive is paid $750,000/year as an annual pension.

Their business is hosed. Not because they pay their executives an unreasonable amount of income but because their moral compass no longer points North.

Where did you find the numbers you quoted. I believe you, but I've not seen that before. Certainly not during the Friends of Scouting fund drives.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Liberal/Leftists/Progressives always destroy leaving what's left in ashes.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
The plan to fundamentally change America seems to be succeeding.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I was a scout for about five years, back in Montana a long time ago. I never got anywhere near Eagle but had a great time with it and learned a lot. When my family moved out of Montana when I was 15, I got distracted by new activities in my new town and never re-engaged with BSA.

A good friend of mine has two boys, one showed no interested in scouting, the other made Eagle last year and is still active in Order of The Arrow and other aspects of it. One of my coworkers is a scoutmaster and loves it, although he's thinking about quitting it when his boys age out.

In spite of the issues I think it would be a loss if they do go under. But as others have said, today's society will probably not allow BSA to recover from all this.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Like many of you, I'm from a "scout" family. My dad, my brother and I, my nephews. Father-in-law's family: Same. I was a Cub Scout, a Boy Scout, an Explorer, OA, camp staff. At 18, an Assistant Scoutmaster and later, Unit Commissioner.

Have you read the actual Congressional charter of the BSA?

"The purposes of the corporation are to promote, through organization, and cooperation with other agencies, the ability of boys to do things for themselves and others, to train them in scoutcraft, and to teach them patriotism, courage, self-reliance, and kindred virtues, using the methods that were in common use by boy scouts on June 15, 1916."

How difficult is this to understand?

Somewhere they lost their way. Remember the old bumper stickers? "America is returning to the values Scouting never left." Except they did.

When you stop being what you were created to be, and stop doing what you used to do, don't be surprised when your "constituency" takes a hike.

Posts: 2465 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Often homosexual men, child molesters, and strange people who have no compass or much that is attractive get into fixed organizations. It is a way they can socialize with others, as normally no one wants to be around them.

As more and more of them become involved, they recruit others with like minds and values. Eventually, if they are not stopped, they work themselves into postions of power and control. After that they swing the organization's direction so that homosexuality and sexual perversions are accepted to varying degrees. As this happens, the good persons leave and it is downhill from there. If BSA goes away, they will try and infiltrate other groups causing similar problems.

If those super high salary and pension numbers are correct, that is another sign that bad people have gotten in charge. I was a scout as a teenager, and everything was paid for by paper drives, etc. Almost no money was needed to be a scout. I would not let any of my kids get into that organization at this time, even if the local troop was good. Eventually they might get molested at a BSA camp or other large gathering.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GOOD! Let these bastards and the Girl Scouts go under...The liberal, progressives infiltrated both organizations and turned them into crap. Just like when the liberal progressives "run" a city or any other organization, it turns to crap. SCREW them and their over priced popcorn and cookies.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I loved my time as a Scout.

I guess I'll have to create my own organization before I have kids.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son did scouts all the way up till he was supposed to start the Webelos thing. Had a lot fun with him in it and even served as a den leader. His last year in the cub master stole all the popcorn fundraising money and other money in the scout account. Was a huge controversy as you can imagine. The cub master had no child in the pack and was essentially a nanny to one of the kids in there. He was a cub master and treasurer. Made it easy for him to steal the money. Crazy that the sponsoring church allowed it as well as the local council. After reorganization of the leaders and police reports and such people still saw that scumbag around town but nothing was ever done to my knowledge. The church as well as the local council didn’t want to go public about what went on. They sweeped it right under the rug and held battery sales fundraisers and car washes. They worked those scouts’ ass off to cover the loss from the theft. My family was probably one of the few who said screw you we’re not going to have our kid participate in fundraising while the thief walks free. It sends the wrong message to the kids that you just work harder to earn more money while doing nothing to bring justice to the wrong(s) done to the pack and the scouts. We were repeatedly told not to go public with what happened and only the cub master and church could talk to the media. I was a den leader that year this went down and was kept in the dark about the investigation and such. I know if they would have brought the incident public there would have been people and businesses that would come forth and donate money. Nope, you did well with popcorn sells now go schlep some overpriced batteries and wash some cars. The way this was handled really brought to light how the scouts were run. They were worried only about their image and not doing right for the kids. BSA didn’t cut the pack any break in regards to the popcorn money we owed them. Was a true pimp move on their part and nothing but “bitch better have my money”. We bailed after that year was up and shortly thereafter the gay issue came up and looking back on it all made me glad that we left the BSA. They have truly lost their compass. They no longer stand for their original mission purpose and it’s showing.

God, Guns, and Guts made this country....let's keep all three

Posts: 495 | Location: TX | Registered: March 09, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
They didn't seem broke (no pun intended) until somebody decided to fix them.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
As a former Eagle, three palms, vigil OA, it pains me to hear this. It is a self inflicted death wound.
My Eagle was done in the minimum amount of time allotted for the honor.
I was part of the district’s OA dance team, talk about cultural appropriation in today’s world. Never mind we were counseled buy one of the national winners of the national fancy dance contest.
So much of my 40+ year life has changed...for the worst.
So, what is left for young men....
I did philmont, Eli Minnesota, two OA national conventions. Those were lots of lawn mowed.
I pray for our country.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I remember my first scout meeting. The Scoutmaster spoke to us new scouts about the motto, the law etc. Behind him was a plaque with each rank and it's badge. At the far right was the red, white and blue eagle rank badge. I focused on it and swore I would work for and achieve that rank. After much tenacity, toil, service, many cold nights in a bag and smokey uniforms, I did achieve my goal.

It has been with great grief that I have watched the BSA point it's cannon at it's hull and fire.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29699 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Eventually they will learn that the loudest voices that are crying for PC are not the majority. I was in Cub Scouts and Webelos in the late 70’s/early 80’s and enjoyed it. Both leaders were outdoorsman and everyone in my group were friends. I took my first hunters Ed through them (even though I was grandfathered due to my year of birth) and won a bowling trophy in one of our outings. Nothing but good memories for me back then.

Posts: 4110 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Back when I worked in Pittsburgh a beloved PITT professor had a stroke. The whole university was up in arms. It turns out a reporter from the west coast called him a few nights before and told the guy that he was writing an article about pedophilia in the BSA and wanted a comment. Apparently this piece of crap abused kids for years and BSA let him quietly exit and hid his secrets. They never reported him to the authorities even though the accusations against him for raping young boys were substantiated. So yeah fuck them. After the article came out the professor never had another visitor.

More on his story here

https://www.post-gazette.com/n...stories/201210220157

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Adults , is there anything they won't screw up?

America needs programs for kids more than ever ,

its a sad state of affairs for those seeking to make things better

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post