SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boy Scouts On Verge Of Bankruptcy
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boy Scouts On Verge Of Bankruptcy Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I was a scout. My boys were scouts. One got his eagle. I was a scoutmaster twice.

I'm not a big fan of the scouting program. In particular, one thing that really burned me was the financials; a lot of boys and a lot of parents have little money, and that should never be an object is an organization which is supposed to be 100% altruistic.

When a kid can go to the store and buy a swiss army knife for half, or a third of what the BSA is charging scouts for the same knife (only with the BSA logo on it), that's a sad statement. When the kids are supposed to wear a uniform, but it's cheap, cheesy uniform that costs an arm and a leg for something they'll wear once a week if that...it doesn't speak well for the scouts.

For many years I used to collect scout uniforms, often scouring second hand shops like good will and other places and would buy them to have on hand for the boys that couldn't afford them. Maybe it was insurgent, ignorant practices like mine that bankrupted the BSA, because we weren't buying their pricey official gear.

When my son did his Eagle, it wasn't a positive experience. It was drawn out and felt more like a series of military tribunals; they sucked every ounce of value out of the program. The other boys saw what he went through and didn't want anything to do with it, and that's very unfortunate. It used to be that having achieved the Eagle was worth something, and now all it means is that one stuck it out while others have moved on with their lives. It shouldn't be that way.

Wow. That’s succinct. I can only imagine how tough the last 20 years have been for you.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are no companies too big to fail, or organizations too important to fold, imo.
Or as I like to say, everyone / everything is replaceable.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I was a Cub Scout, Weblo, and Boy Scout. I'm sad to see the shape that the "organazation" is in, I see to hope in it recovering in this day of hope and change. When the leaders forgot how to teach A Scout is Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent, it was the end.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Shame it's come to this.

I was in scouting from 5 to 18. Many of my best memories were with the friends from those years. Went to scout camp every summer those years. Got a little slack at the end and finished my Eagle requirements the night before I turned 18.

My son did a year of scouts, but didn't enjoy it. Neither did I. Probably would have been better at a different pack, but he's jaded on the idea at this point.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
As others have said, they dug their own grave with their BS politcal correctness. Time to let them fade away.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5039 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
The BSA of today is not the BSA of yesterday. So, good that they will die. Don't give a shit. Whatever organization(s) that need to pick up the slack should have their moral principles carved in stone and not crumble due to corruption and political correctness.

There are no companies too big to fail, or organizations too important to fold, imo.

This has to be one of the dumbest things I've read on here in a while. Do you know anything at all about Chapter 11 bankruptcy?

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Baden-Powell, whatever you think of him, wouldn't recognize his own organization, wouldn't approve of it, and would celebrate its demise.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
That's what happens when you take a century old institution and ruin it by being "inclusive".

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
I was a Cub Scout, Weblo, and Boy Scout. I'm sad to see the shape that the "organazation" is in, I see to hope in it recovering in this day of hope and change. When the leaders forgot how to teach A Scout is Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent, it was the end.

Yes, Sad... the Scout motto used to mean something.

I was a Cub Scout, Weblo, and Boy Scout too.
It's not what it was and it's no great surprise that the "leadership" has run it into the ground.
It's part of the “Long March through the Institutions”...

The New Leftist Hegemony

One explicit way in which Antonio Gramsci (1891-1937) stated that he believed that no revolution would be forthcoming in Europe was when he said that power is not something which you can “seize” in a revolution. In other words, Gramsci never talked about the “seizure of State power”. Despite that, in a certain sense he did indeed believe in seizing state power; though not, of course, through violent revolution. Instead he talked of “becoming State”. That is, the Marxist vanguard -- on behalf of the working class (of course) -- would become the state. Alternatively they would “take over the institutions” of the state (the police, the law, political parties, the civil service, councils, etc.) and even the institutions which are not ordinarily deemed to be directly part of the state (e.g., the churches, charities, regional/national newspapers, the universities, schools, etc.). (Rudi Dutschke called this the “Long March through the Institutions”.)

This new Leftist hegemony was to be imposed upon the working class via the schools, universities, local councils, the law, etc. (in exactly the same was as Marxists believe that the “capitalist-state hegemony” was imposed on the working class).

Read more: https://www.americanthinker.co...s.html#ixzz5ZZpZG7p8

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24103 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:

This has to be one of the dumbest things I've read on here in a while. Do you know anything at all about Chapter 11 bankruptcy?

Come on now - that's an incredibly high bar to reach, and nothing in this thread even hits the top 100. Razz

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It serves the idiots right. I was a scout. My entire family was involved in scouting, but these "progressive" Roll Eyes imbeciles have absolutely ruined the organization with their ridiculous bullshit.

Good riddance. It can't happen soon enough, and don't tell me how the kids will be the ones to suffer. Talk to the fucking idiots who invaded this organization and destroyed it.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chapter 11 bankruptcy

As opposed to a liquidation...
This chapter of the Bankruptcy Code generally provides for reorganization, usually involving a corporation or partnership. A chapter 11 debtor usually proposes a plan of reorganization to keep its business alive and pay creditors over time.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24103 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Boy Scouts? Wait, I thought they were just the Scouts now.

Roll Eyes

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Chapter 11 bankruptcy

As opposed to a liquidation...
This chapter of the Bankruptcy Code generally provides for reorganization, usually involving a corporation or partnership. A chapter 11 debtor usually proposes a plan of reorganization to keep its business alive and pay creditors over time.

This is assuming the ship can be made sound. With the LDS church leaving in a couple of years, they will be hemorrhaging money and membership. This looks like the captain in panic directing the ship be turn hard to avoid the iceberg far too late. Some have italicized the cause of this decline that makes chapter 11-like maneuvers necessary. Others have missed that point.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:

Isn't that the form of bankruptcy protection that often precedes Chapter 7?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat
Do you know anything at all about Chapter 11 bankruptcy?

Yep, Sure do. It usually means Chapter 7 is on the horizon. According to:

https://www.bankruptcyinbrief....ankruptcy-explained/

“The rate of successful Chapter 11 reorganizations is depressingly low, sometimes estimated at 10% or less.”

According to "Friends of Scouting", the cost of a boy in Boy Scouts is $300 per year. Our Church historically raised this amount, per boy, each year through a campaign both in and out of the Church. This money was sent off - not retained by the local troop.

Now, cut 1/3 of the membership (and funding) by the LDS Church and potentially other Churches and do the math.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
According to "Friends of Scouting", the cost of a boy in Boy Scouts is $300 per year. Our Church historically raised this amount, per boy, each year through a campaign both in and out of the Church. This money was sent off - not retained by the local troop.

That's a lot of overhead...

-rduckwor

posted Hide Post
I am an Eagle Scout and was in from 8 to 18. I worked at a BSA camp the summer I was 19. I’m the treasurer for my sons pack now. Terrible to hear this but frankly they brought this on themselves as noted.

Posts: 4761 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Our son is a Tiger scout, he's really fired up for the pinewood derby next month. As mentioned before, I'm an eagle scout, I don't like the direction boy scouts has gone, but he has a good den and pack, so right now, it's a net positive. We had a girl in our den, but she hasn't shown up in a couple meetings. Evidently our council's policy is co-ed dens until age 8. Our 4 year old daughter wants to join when she is older because she hears about the cool stuff our son does. I tell her about the girl scouts, but it's my understanding their program is lame. At least they consistently stand for something.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son just got the last signature on his Eagle project proposal. He’ll do his project in January. My other son, my six brothers and I are Eagle Scouts.

The LDS church pulled out of Scouting because it new it would increasingly be at odds with BSA and it wants to establish a youth program that is more universal and can be implemented world wide.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post