SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help Wanted: pick-up/delivery driver in Dulles, VA area
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help Wanted: pick-up/delivery driver in Dulles, VA area Login/Join 
Picture of Speedbird
posted
Hello All,
Help Wanted: pick-up/delivery driver in the Dulles Airport (Virginia) area.

Background: IAG Cargo is the cargo division of International Airlines Group, owner/operator of multiple airlines to include: British Airways, IBeria Airlines, AerLingus. I've been with the company 18years now (When we were just British Airways). We are starting our "Cargo Connector" service in the Dulles Area. In a nut-shell, the bulk of our air cargo is delivered or picked-up by the truck load. Our Cargo Connector service offers pick-up for smaller express cargo. Our partner has been unable to source any viable candidates and I am now recruiting...

The position is Full-time/Permanent, Mon-Fri, 10:00am to ~7:00pm. Pay is ~$15/hr, uniform and company phone is provided. Duties would include driving our Sprinter van within ~25 mile radius of Dulles, picking up cargo from customers and retendering to our handling agent thru out the day. Lots of stop and go traffic, waiting in line, minimal down time, light lifting, meticulous handling of paperwork and In/out of the van can be expected. We do not deal directly with the general public. The customer base is ~40 "Freight Forwarders" in the Dulles/Sterling area ranging from mom and pop to global corporate giants. The driver will have a regular route, be dispatched by cell, and expected to seek opportunities between runs.

The job is "Customer Facing". We are not looking for just a driver, candidate must be: Professional. Willing and able to build relationships with customers. Able to manage their own time and meet hard deadlines. Proactively and coutinuously seek opportunities for relationship building and sales opportunities. Excellent communicator. Friendly/personable.

Caveats: Technically, the candidate will be employed by our trucking company and subject to their employment T&C and receive whatever benefits they offer their full-time employees. (He/She would not be an IAG Cargo/British Airways employee: No flight benefits, pension, commission, or Airline perks.) CDL is NOT required. Must pass TSA STA & some simple training. Able to lift up to 32kg. Extensive on the job training will be provided.

If you are interested please email: IAD1connector(at)gmail.com

-Patrick

Posts: 502 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
drug testing? driving record?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54608 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
drug testing? driving record?

I'm assuming our trucking provider may have a screening program and probably some kind of go or no-go policy about driving record. I get to select the driver but he has to meet TSA and trucking companies requirements. I'll ask the company to clarify and update post.

Posts: 502 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Honestly, 15.00/hour in that area is a bit on the low end for the kind of person needed to maintain and build the business opportunity. The benefit package would have to be stellar and include all the necessary health coverage. Option for a 401 or other pension building vehicle would be very attractive for long term employment.

I worked for a air freight forwarding operation in the Seattle area. Having many years as a Teamster in the Puget Sound region, the air freight gig was a demanding schedule without any of the above perks. I took my experience and customer skills elsewhere...in short order.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
~$15 per hour? Good luck with that. Fogging a mirror yields $13 around here. I've got to assume competence is not as valuable as the notice implies.

My company is now paying $20 per hr 40 hrs a week as you go to trucking school on their dime. Then a $1000 minimum per week guarantee. $60k first year is easily attainable.

Things have changed.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Seems like an awful lot is expected for only $15/hour.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Living here and the cost of housing and traffic, there is no way you will find someone at that wage and no benefits.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Nobody worthwhile, anyway.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Living here and the cost of housing and traffic, there is no way you will find someone at that wage and no benefits.

This. Hell, I can't get qualified candidates for my open positions in that area and we pay well over $60k/yr with unbelievable benefits.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Some sign spinners earn 15.00 per hour down here.

Posts: 1978 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post