SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody else a fan of "Click and Clack" of "Car Talk"?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody else a fan of "Click and Clack" of "Car Talk"? Login/Join 
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
Tom and Ray were not only grease monkey mechanics, but both held degrees from MIT. You would never guess that from listening to them, they were so down to earth.

Yep. They gave the graduation speech there a few years ago. Fast forward to 10 minutes in, unless you had some relation graduating in 1999 and/or are in need of some sleep.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5o5wnEi2uw

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
They were historic, folkloric, and quasi—automotive.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Loved listening to that show. Some years back it was on when we'd be driving back from lake Whitney after a couple of overnights there. We'd be pretty tired and eating a kolache we just picked up for the Czech Stop in West Texas. They'd say something really funny and we'd have a hard time keeping that last bite from spraying the dashboard. What a treasure and a great piece of Americana.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Caller: "I have this problem with my 2007 Toyota . . ."

Click (or Clack), interrupting, "What color is it?"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Yes, Quasimoto was frequently mentioned on their show. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
^^^ Thank you for explaining, Pipe Smoker. I had no idea at all what "quasi-automotive" meant in regards to a show called "Car Talk" in which they spent the whole time talking about cars. Roll Eyes

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Loved their show also.
Does anybody know if their garage is still in business, though perhaps different owners?

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Loved their show also.
Does anybody know if their garage is still open, perhaps different owners, somebody in the family?

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Here’s the end credits for car talk...didn’t know they had such a large staff.

https://www.cartalk.com/content/staff-credits

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
One of their funniest shows, Martha Stewart was a guest.

They spent quite a bit of time discussing how to cook a chicken by wrapping it in aluminum foil and letting it sit on top of the engine block while driving.

And, when on the move, that's how we heated cans of C rations in Korea. What we didn't eat (or didn't like) we gave to locals in next small village.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I'm not a car guy, but I always loved Car Talk. I'm still waiting for all the wonderful stuff they promised to get to in the 3rd half of the show!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Here’s the end credits for car talk...didn’t know they had such a large staff.

https://www.cartalk.com/content/staff-credits

This is worth clicking on the link. Well done!

EW

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Yes, Quasimoto was frequently mentioned on their show. Smile

They had a puzzler every week. Mostly car-related, but not always. The ideal puzzler was historic, folkloric, and quasi-automotive.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I was a fan of their show and tuned in for years and years. Certainly they took radio-quasimotive to new levels....*kaff*kaff*

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They were both in the animated Pixar/Disney movie, Cars (along with Paul Newman). I watched it many times with my young grandson. Great movie, and hearing the "tappet brothers" in it was special.

Posts: 581 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
My wife used to like to see if I could figure out the problem—-or best of all the Puzzler—-myself. I got to impress her from time to time. I imagine a lot of us did the same.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
I love when this topic comes up for discussion because it brings back great memories.

I had the distinct pleasure of taking a marketing class taught by Tom during my sophomore year at BU in the late 80's. That class was so much fun- it was like a live session of car talk, only on-topic and focused on marketing. What a great experience. He was an excellent instructor.

I listened to them on BUR and then on NPR for years afterward.

I took advantage of his office hours during that semester when I could. It was nice getting to know him just a little.

I tuned in to the latest podcast posted yesterday and chuckled when he mentioned "those scuzzball marketers" a couple of times- knowing he was one.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
I got one of my best one liners from them.

"Write down your thoughts on the back of a 20 dollar bill and send it in. We'll review it later."

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
In the late 80's I worked for a guy that was born and raised in Boston. One day he said to me, "you like cars, you might be interested in these two guys from Boston". Every Saturday from then on was scheduled to allow running errands around Car Talk. I miss that show.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Loved their show & humor. Still listen to its reruns on Saturdays on local NPR station. It’s about the only thing I can listen to on NPR these days...

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post