SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody else a fan of "Click and Clack" of "Car Talk"?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody else a fan of "Click and Clack" of "Car Talk"? Login/Join 
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted
I loved this show and listened to it every Saturday morning with my son, who came out of the womb a car nut. I like cars, especially fast ones, but I'm not a car nut. When my son and I went to watch "Ford Versus Ferrari" last week, as we walked out of the theater my son said, "They showed a Mustang in Shelby's showroom with 17" wheels. They all had 15" wheels. That disappointed me." That is a car nut. I told him, "You know, there were three people in the US who noticed that. You are one of the three."

The other two would have been the Magliozzi brothers, if they were both still alive. The Magliozzi brothers were car nuts par excellence. People called in with every problem imaginable, and they, right there on the spot, tried to diagnose the cause and prescribe a fix. They did this in a stream of joking, teasing, and generally cutting up. My son and I listened and laughed along, rolling our eyes and groaning at the corny stuff, and holding our sides doubled over when they were really hilarious.

Tom and Ray were not only grease monkey mechanics, but both held degrees from MIT. You would never guess that from listening to them, they were so down to earth.

Their show went off air some years ago, but it is available now as a podcast. So, you can still "waste perfectly good Saturday mornings" listening to these funny, knowledgable, friendly guys:

https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510208/car-talk

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
I’ve passed the time on many long drives by listening to their Podcasts. A few times I hit the rumble strips because I was laughing so hard.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to listen to those guys. I really enjoyed their knowledge and banter. I'll definitely check out their podcasts. Thanks for bringing back the memory of how much fun they were and the link.

John

Posts: 416 | Location: Near Dallas, TX | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
They were awesome. Corny and hilarious, but also wicked smaaaaaaat.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Greatest NPR show of all time.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Great show and very funny too.

Sadly I think one of the passed away in the past few years.

Fun trivia: their voices were featured in the movie Cars

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Yes, Tom passed away a few years ago at age 77. He was the one who owned the -- I think '54?-- MG that was the source of many jokes. Sadly, he died of complications from Alzheimer's. Funny and, as RAMIUS said, wicked smaaaaaat, that must have been an incredible heartache for his brother.

Here he is snugging up a loose tappet.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Used to listen to Click and Clack with my dad most Saturdays while out and about. There are some absolutely gut-busting hilarious callers/episodes.

You can download the shows as podcasts, the wife will gather up some episodes before any lengthy car trips so we can listen to them.

That and A Prairie Home Companion are highly entertaining NPR classics.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I remember Click and Clack the "Loose Tappet" boys.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I liked when they got the call from space. “My government vehicle shakes at 17500 mph...”

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I used to listen to Click & Clack, The Tappet Brothers, every Saturday morning. On one show a woman asked about a thumping that sounded as though it was coming from the trunk of her car. Tom opined that, “You have a problem with your rear end.”

“The car’s rear end,” she corrected him.

On another show, a woman calling from Uganda said that the roads there were so rough that she had to wear a jogging bra while driving her SUV. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
That was a very funny show.
And, also educational.

My Grand Cherokee turns 26 next month. Much time spent working on it and listening to Click and Clack. Big Grin

Now, it's just me and the Jeep.

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I worked many a Saturday listening to them. Always enjoyable. The banter was phenomenal.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
The local station broadcasts their show on Monday nights and my son and I would listen to it on the way home from his swim practice. Then, I discovered that it was available on podcasts. Now, my son frequently asks me to play their show anytime we are in the truck together.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Long time listener. They still air them here on saturdays.

Harvard Square has changed a lot, I hope the old window stays put though.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I only caught one error. Someone asked about "Blowing out the cobs." They said it was "Blowing out the carbs." I sometimes thought their error was due to the New England accents.

Blowing out the cobs is old term from the days of steam locomotives. They used corn cobs to get the fires going and after the coal or wood was burning properly, they would shake the grates and blow out the cobs.

Growing up in the midwest, blowing out the cobs was slang for flooring the accelerator.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Listened to them on BU radio, then on NPR. I still get the emails.

Wicked smart guys, really funny guys. I miss hearing the show.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Don't drive like my brother!"

"Don't drive like my brother!"

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love their show and still listen to the podcasts. Most of NPR is too liberal for me, but this show is great.

Posts: 271 | Location: New Braunfels, TX | Registered: January 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
One of their funniest shows, Martha Stewart was a guest.

They spent quite a bit of time discussing how to cook a chicken by wrapping it in aluminum foil and letting it sit on top of the engine block while driving.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post