SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What have I said 10,000 times about the use of Classifieds in this forum?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have I said 10,000 times about the use of Classifieds in this forum? Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you've thought of this, but could it simply be restricted until X post count? Not a perfect solution, but surely it might help?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Make the classifieds password protected? Multiple choice passwords so participating members would have no trouble?

Questions with answers like, "Gay Cake" and such?

I just realized I suggested more work for you Para. Scratch my suggestion. Classified hiatus 90 days. Goodness gracious some people are always going to try and exploit a good thing.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
I'm sure you've thought of this, but could it simply be restricted until X post count? Not a perfect solution, but surely it might help?

-Rob

I believe the counter to that in the past is that people inflate their post count with nonsense posts.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:

-Rob

I believe the counter to that in the past is that people inflate their post count with nonsense posts.

Of course they would. Post-count barriers were the reason post whoring was invented.

It's a deterrent, though. And true post whores are usually pretty easy to spot.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As usual, it's the rogue users that abuse the privilege. An honest mistake can be forgiven.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Ask before you post. I haven't used the Classifieds but was considering doing so several months ago. I wanted to put a specific condition in the ad but was unsure if that would be acceptable. So I asked the question in the Sig Forum Office. Para assured me it would be ok.

Just common sense and courtesy.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I really don't know how Para and the other administrative guys have the patience to put up with the same crap, over and over and over again.

I know that we joke about the wrath of The Eagle, the Ban Hammer, etc., but if I were in that position, lightning bolts would strike frequently and relentlessly.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
In simplest terms: Don't be a dick, it's a privilege to post here.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wasn't there something about price gouging and relative price setting , or something like that?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delmag Tech
posted Hide Post

Posts: 742 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:

(With apologies to the Gospel of Matthew...)

No apology necessary. Wink

Where else can you sell something, and mail it out to a friend here before payment is received?

Just one of many examples of the class of persons here. Thanks Para.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've noticed that a lot of classified posters seem to have a very low post count, even if they have been members for years. Much more so than regular posts on the discussion groups.
I would hate to see classifieds go because the few times I'm looking to buy something used and SIG related, I felt much better dealing with someone on here.
Seems like requiring a minimum post count and time as a member would weed out many of the problems but I'm not the one having to do the work so I understand.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Para, is the forum software in anyway customizable? I tried figuring out what it's base is, but the Social Strata website wasn't very informative. I've done some customizations on web based systems before. I'm thinking of a simple test of how many posts does the user have before allowing them to post in the Classified section. That might help you out some. Email me if you'd like to discuss.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
You could probably put in all kinds of rules, gotchas, passwords, post count etc, in the end someone will abuse it, get nuked and be gone.

Sure appreciate the option to have the classified here, selling and buying is very trustworthy, I doubt I'd sell a gun anywhere else but to a friend or the gun store if not here...

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Have you considered naming a few additional mods who's only role and oversight is classified?

Simple things such as posting an item on multiple sites or a member posting more than one thread at a time could be cleaned up by these folks and leave you to handle the larger and more important issues that need to be dealt with within classifieds.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ianfiniti
posted Hide Post
I used the classifieds once to sell a P229 barrel, and I don't even post that often (Though I do come here and read a lot). So it seems to me that rule isn't even hard to comply with (or I just sneaked through undetected and should have kept my mouth shut).

I might have mentioned something in the post about needing the cash to keep myself in college at the time, which might have bought me some leniency, but I honestly don't remember as it was several years ago.

Either way, I will keep this in mind for the future.

O, here will I set up my everlasting rest and shake the yoke of inauspicious stars from this world-wearied flesh. Eyes, look your last. Arms, take your last embrace and lips, of you, the doors of breath, seal with a righteous kiss. Here's to my love.

Posts: 83 | Registered: August 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
Sadly, said person will probably never see this in the lounge.

Hopefully he just did!

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5530099914

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I too hope that classifieds don't go away. I have done a lot of buying, selling, trading here and I won't anywhere else. I have never had a bad deal on the forum and I have a lot of trust of the members here.

I hope there is a way to clean them up and keep them around.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
There is a lack of respect in general throughout the world. It seems like it unfortunately surfaces in the Classifieds. I hope it isn't shut down for a time as I do check it regularly and have bought several firearms and parts over the years. I don't think I have sold anything, I tried once, but no takers on an esoteric book LOL. That being said, I do believe there are some valuable members who have businesses that sell on the forum. Perhaps, if I may suggest, we limit access to the Classified Forum until you have been a member for a year and have personally asked - might be more work though than its worth. FWIW, I recently bought an HK on HKPro.com. It was a from dealer but I was still nervous. I have never had that concern on SIGforum. Interesting difference even though HKPro is a reputable forum.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I enjoy perusing the Classifieds, I don't buy very much but I do like drooling over all the cool toys I wish I could afford.

It's a shame that some people just blatantly abuse a free service.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post