SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Soft wall cooler recommendations? 2 bags of groceries
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soft wall cooler recommendations? 2 bags of groceries Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I like where I live. However, there are some (ethnic) groceries that aren't available nearby so I buy stuff when I drive to areas where they are available.

Some of the stuff I buy is frozen or otherwise needs to be kept cool while I drive home (several hours). Or perhaps we're taking a day trip with the truck and just want to keep a picnic cool (food, drinks).

I'm looking for a softwall insulated cooler that I can keep conveniently in the trunk (folded or squashed if necessary) but can keep food (say, 1-2 grocery bags) relatively frozen for at least 5 hours (I have ice packs).

Looking for a decent brand. Not too expensive (<< $100). Not made in China a BIG plus.

Recommendations? I saw some Igloos on Prime but mixed reviews.....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Use a couple pound piece of dry ice for those you wish to keep frozen. For the fresh groceries I just get a small bag of ice. Also, if the bags are stored in the car and the bags are hot, precool them with some ice.

I do the same when I make my Costco runs.

I’ve found the flexible cooler bags sold at Costco to be of sufficient quality, and they’re under $10.00

While they are loaded in the car you really need to keep the sun off them.

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Polar Bear Coolers
http://www.polarbearcoolers.com/

I use mine to put a couple of cans of seltzer water in to drink on the drive home from the office, so it sits in my car in the summer sun for 10 hours.

When I leave the office, most of the ice is still solid and everything inside is frosty cold.

Their site is down right now and so I was not able to see where they manufacture.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6401 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Fantastic.

I’ll check the local Costco as the price is attractive. The Polar Bear looks very good though. Buy once cry once.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Maybe check the Ozark Trail line at Walmart. Seriously doubt it's made in USA, though.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Maybe check the Ozark Trail line at Walmart. Seriously doubt it's made in USA, though.

Not made in the USA, but you're not going to be able to beat it for money/performance.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Read that three times before clicking trying to figure out WTF a soft color of paint for the walls had to do with two bags of groceries. Eek

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Is Polar Bear not made in China? I'd bet that Ozark Trails are made in China (Walmart to me is largely a Chinese retailer).

If Polar Bear is not made in China, I will pay the premium for one. If they are made in China, I may be more indifferent and try the Ozark from a cost/benefit perspective.

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I would look at the Ozark Trail imitation of the expensive Yeti hard cooler.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Oza...Cooler-Grey/49229405

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
either costco or sam's will be fine,just fine.

if you are not a member , there are people that will get a couple for you , I am sure

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pensfan
posted Hide Post
According to this link Polar Bear coolers are made in the good ol USA.

http://thecoolerexperts.com/wh...he-coolers-are-made/

Posts: 270 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: April 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post