SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cat Question for our Veterinarian Members
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cat Question for our Veterinarian Members Login/Join 
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Look no further than the Katsak. It even has a cat drawn on the bag.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
You pick up the cat by the scruff of the neck. With immobilizing force. The cat goes into a fetal curl. Drop him in butt first. Zip or otherwise secure top before the cat recovers.

My cat recently had an upper respiratory infection. Bloody snot. Doxycycline solution, prepared by Doc Woodman, by mouth 2x a day, for 21 days. She eventually understood resistance was futile and would not even stir from her comfy spot. Skull gripped at an upward angle, jaw pinched open, syringe in mouth, a reminder to "swallow", and it is over in a flash.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I do is put the cat carrier so the door is facing up towards the ceiling, grab the cat and drop it in there. It’s usually over before they even realize what just happened. If the cat happens to act quickly and grab an edge as it’s going down just knock the paw off the edge and it’ll drop in. I haven’t had an issue with doing it this way for a couple decades now, at least.

Posts: 684 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Well, it's not over. DAMN!

Mrs. V-Tail got the cat corralled yesterday after a major battle, got her to the vet. Exam, three-year shot of whatever, etc., all seemed to go well.

This morning, Cat could barely walk. Limped along like she was older than I am. Cried in pain if my wife touched her hip very gently.

No resistance at all this time, totally passive while being inserted in FTD, and back to the vet who gave her a shot of Buprenorphine. Cat is home and resting in the closet, where she goes when she wants a quiet, out of the way, place.

Vet charged thirty-five bucks today, to fix what they charged $270 to fuck up yesterday. Not so much the money, we have never begrudged money spent on medical care for our pets, but really annoyed that this all happened the way it did.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Pedro -- how in the world do you get three cats into an FTD? Seems to me like every time you get one in, the other two would jail break.

Coat the inside with Super Glue.

A thousand and one uses. Now a thousand and two. And a thousand and three. And a thousand and four.

But be very careful or else you end up with one, two, or three very pissed off cats super glued to you.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Velcro might be better idea.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The way we do it: Wife holds CTD in place. I have cat suspended by middle with both hands (I have large hands, btw). I firmly insert front end of cat into CTD, remove one hand, place on back end of cat, and stuff.

The CTD sits out for a minimum of 24 hours before scheduled departure time.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I have a Sherpa CTD which stays out all the time, with its top and side unzipped, and one of Simba's favorite towels is always in it for him to lay on. It's more of a play tunnel set up that way, and he does hang out there now and then.
That gets the 'panic-I'm-trapped' smell from being the only smell in the CTD. (If cats are only in the carrier on 'vet' days, and always panic, then the smell triggers the memory of feeling trapped and it's self-fulfilling.)

If he's complaining once I have him in the car, I will pat him through a slightly-unzipped top when traffic permits. I let him get his head out of the carrier, so he can see, if that doesn't work. Makes the ride (we're about 15 minutes from the vet) a bit less traumatic.

Also, to avoid the 'trapped' feeling, I got a medium dog-sized CTD so he has room to move around.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Whatever happened to the time honored burlap sack?
Most of us are too big to get into one.

Posts: 6469 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have 5 indoor cats. There is no way I could manage to corral all 5 for a simultaneous visit to the Vet. A carrier big enough to hold them all would be impossible to pick up or put in the car (I don't have a truck or SUV). The best I can do is one at a time. I have had the Vet do a house call--I usually manage to get 3 or 4 of them serviced that way. Bottom line: we don't do many Vet visits.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i leave the carrier out for 2 days before the journey, except emergencies.

both cats usually walk/snif/sit in the carrier before the actual journey.

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
You pick up the cat by the scruff of the neck. With immobilizing force. The cat goes into a fetal curl.

Oh. Yours does that? Mine gives me a warning yowl, and if I don’t let go fast enough, he cranes around in his skin and sinks his teeth into my wrist at a speed I always find surprising. We’ve been playing this game for thirteen years and he just keeps getting better at it. Roll Eyes Big Grin

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
If you don't have a "top load" pet carrier, might I recommend this one...

Amazon Link

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m not that brave. 3 separate crates.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post