SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Woodworkers - I screwed up the finish on my project. What can I do about it?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woodworkers - I screwed up the finish on my project. What can I do about it? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I screwed up. I spent the last couple of weeks working on a project, only to apply a stain that looks absolutely hideous. I should have tested it first on a piece of scrap wood, but I didn't. What are my options (besides paint) at this point? I'm thinking some kind of stain/poly combination that would go on a little thicker to cover up this mess? It's an an 8x10 wooden camera, made of oak. There are a few areas with very close tolerances, so I would have to take care not to build those areas up too much, or sand them down too far. I really don't want to rebuild this. I'm hoping someone has a good solution.

Picture added -

Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 4x5,

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
What type of stain did you use? If it is Oil based you might try a solvent wash. Some water based stains will reduce with a alcohol wash, don't use rubbing alcohol though it has oil type lubricants in it.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I think I would try a darker colored stain of the same type over the one you used. Try it on a piece of scrap thats stained with the hideous color stuff of the type you used on the project and see if you like it. Use scrap of the type you built the camera with for the test. If you use a stain varnish combo you may end up compounding the problem.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
If you use a stain varnish combo you may end up compounding the problem.

Is that because a stain/varnish would be harder to remove if I don't like it?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Take some scraps and make them the same hideous outcome, then try the proposed solutions on those scraps, because now - even more than before - the scraps are crucial since how the new finish works with the one you hate is even more unpredictable...

However, once you do all that you can surely find something you find satisfactory, but there's no real shortcut, especially now that it's been stained already.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Sand off (if not too deep), cover up (paint or something much darker) or rebuilt.
Only options.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
A picture of the bad area would help with potential solutions. Lots of things can be rescued.

Kleen-Strip paint stripper will remove stain, without sanding. I've used it many times to refinish surplus rifle stocks, and not damage stock cartouches. It can be worked into corners and details with a toothbrush.

Several applications and rinses may be in order, but it can be done.

Before you strip it, depending on what "ugly" is, it might be rescuable, how about a pic?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
I would think a soak in acetone would lift most of the stain out. If you have glued miters though, I doubt they would fare well in the soak.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you have glued miters though, I doubt they would fare well in the soak.

Definitely good to know! Lots of miters in this project!

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
So you've got some uneven areas, and some spots that look like glue sealed the wood, what are your other concerns?

What method did you use to apply the stain, and is it a stain, a "gel stain," etc.

Before I did anything else, I'd wipe the areas that were trouble down with mineral spirits, rinse with water and let dry.

Did you condition the oak at all?

What type of glue did you use?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Take some scraps and make them the same hideous outcome, then try the proposed solutions on those scraps, because now - even more than before - the scraps are crucial since how the new finish works with the one you hate is even more unpredictable...

However, once you do all that you can surely find something you find satisfactory, but there's no real shortcut, especially now that it's been stained already.

I’d be tempted to ebonize it with India ink, but I certainly would want to test it. Never tried it on top of an existing stain.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Yeah. I don't think staining over what you have there is gonna help at all. That may be a job for paint.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
And you might "distress/age" it.

Typically I dislike "relic'd" things, but in some cases it can look good.

The exceptions are if this is a "show piece" vs. a work horse.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
So you've got some uneven areas, and some spots that look like glue sealed the wood, what are your other concerns?

What method did you use to apply the stain, and is it a stain, a "gel stain," etc.

Before I did anything else, I'd wipe the areas that were trouble down with mineral spirits, rinse with water and let dry.

Did you condition the oak at all?

What type of glue did you use?

I used a minwax stain, and I didn't condition the wood. The glue is Titebond II

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Depending on the color you were going for, you can 'glaze them with a gel stain. The key is to know what your goal is and to experiment on scraps. This kind of thing is right in my ballpark. I live close to you. If you want, I'd be happy to help. You can email me at trg21reticle at yahoo.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure what the problem is. It looks like stained oak.
You can strip it,re-apply a lighter color, or try any of
the other recommendations listed so far, but that grain is
still gonna be there.
The Mowhawk wood finishing products people have something for everything.
Might give them a try.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Minwax stain has a "finish" product included. Used to be Tung Oil, now I don't know. Trying to stain over it without removing the shit will not turn out well.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
brush on a gel stain. do not rub it off. It will conceal what is underneath and the brush strokes will simulate wood grain. Test on scrap first.
Alternatively spray with minwax polyshades. stain and clear in one. Light mist coats to get the look you are wanting.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steel wool. I like 4x. See how it rubs out the finish on a piece of similarly stained scrap. Should lighten finish, but not a lot. Easy. Easy to try. No significant wood removal.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
couple days and you'll get used to it. looks ok to me now.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post