SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What were your earliest software packages?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What were your earliest software packages? Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
My first exposure to ANYTHING Personal Computers was MS-DOS 3.x (I think) and Lotus 1-2-3 ver 1.0...first spreadsheet software on the market for PC, I believe (Circa 1984-85). My previous experience from 1981-1983 was mainframe systems with terminals...had a tape drum and those big-ass 12" floppy disks.

Remember the first 82 lb. "portable" computer by Compaq? I think that's how I got my hernia...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
my first IBM DOS machine, my first software packages were WordPerfect for DOS

WordPerfect was a HUGE advancement...
I can remember writing law school briefs and papers on MultiMate. Red Face

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:
So many references to the TRS-80 warms the cockles of my black heart.

I remember being at a meeting of the San Diego Computer Society in the auditorium at Grossmont Junior College when it was announced that a member had sold his Z-80 computer design to Radio Shack. Everyone stood and cheered. I was out of law school then, so it may have been in 1976 or so. I bought a very early Apple II, 16 k memory, built in BASIC, cassette tape storage. The floppies were introduced later. I still have it.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Lotus 1-2-3 ver 1.0...first spreadsheet software on the market for PC, I believe (Circa 1984-85).

VisiCalc as ported to DOS predates the introduction of Lotus. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

WordPerfect was a HUGE advancement...
I can remember writing law school briefs and papers on MultiMate. Red Face

WP still is considered the gold standard for law offices.

After decades of being loyal to WordPerfect (before and after the Corel take over), I recently migrated from my old version X4 to LibreOffice v6.1.2. Since I have no real need for database management at this stage of my life, I can opt out of needing Java to support aspects of that part of the suite. I've been quite impressed with LibreOffice. Big Grin

And FWIW LibreOffice development teams are working to have a Java free version in the future. https://ask.libreoffice.org/en...-no-longer-use-java/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WordStar for word processing, Lotus 123 for spreadsheet and dbase II for database work. Tandy 1000 with one two 360K Floppy Drives, no hard drive. 15" color monitor with DWP 210 daisy wheel printer.

I was mnfr's Rep for coated fabrics.

Had a handbook for dbaseii that had sample programming illustration that I used to teach myself how to write a program for lead management.

Also had a funny little Tandy book size computer that hat a built in modem I believe for telephone communication.

Crazy to think back to those slow computers.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My first personal computer was a TI "luggable" (46 pounds) machine. I learned to write BASIC on it and had a compiler for it (GBASIC, I think). I also ran a modest COBOL compiler on it. I did have a spreadsheet (don't remember what it was called). I used SPFPC as my file editor--it looked just like the SPF I edited with at work. I took the luggable to the shooting range each week to score USPSA matches using a program I'd written in BASIC. Eventually USPSA wrote their own program and mine fell into disuse. That machine has not been turned on since Y2K (but it's still in the garage somewhere).

I was not "into" games (still am not). I wrote COBOL code for hours every day at work and did not do a lot of recreational computer use at home. I was able to sign into work if called with a problem.

Now, if you are interested in the first software I was exposed to, that would go back to my last semester in undergraduate college, when I was learning to program an IBM 650 machine. Besides its intrinsic machine language, we learned to program it in SOAP (Symbolic Optimized Assembly Program) and RUNCIBLE (Revised Unified New Compiler IT Basic Language Extended)--both written by the Computer Science department at Case Tech. RUNCIBLE was kind of a very basic FORTRAN, but very limited in capabilities. In later year in USAF I learned simple programming in COSEAL and JOVIAL (Jules' Own Version of the International Algorithmic Language) on the IBM SAGE (Semi-Automatic Ground Environment) computers. And in my Masters Degree work in the late 1960s I learned IBM ALC on a System 360 and COBOL on a Honeywell 200. I had additional COBOL training in 1975 via USAF, and programmed on the Honeywell WWMCCS (World Wide Military Command and Control System) computers. When I retired in 1980 I then worked 26 years for Texas Instruments doing COBOL programming on their IBM mainframes. (Some of what I wrote in the early 1980s is still running....)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
First computer ever was a Pionex with windows 3.1 and 25mhz. Didnt have internet back then.

I was so happy when I was able to get Doom 1 shareware to install and play on it.

Looked just like this one, Turbo button and all. haha

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
Turbo Pascal running on my IBM PC.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
I bought a very early Apple II, 16 k memory, built in BASIC, cassette tape storage. The floppies were introduced later. I still have it.

That’s awesome.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Writing BASIC code for TRS 80s.

That's where I started. Moved up to a IBM dual floppy with Visicalc.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I started with an Tandy 8088 right before the 286 came out. I remember WordPerfect and an AOL account.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Palantir and Visi-Calc on a Kaypro.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
My abacus and slide rule.

In the modern digital electrically powered type our cable provider offered timesharing on a mainframe called NABU. I learned BASIC that way.
Then a 2 floppy IBM that cost almost as much as a good used car, around $2000 in late 1970s dollars

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
It was a software suite by spinnaker.
I’m trying to remember the pc utility program; it did move files and such.

Very first program was pc dos and I did edlin.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19649 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CPM rather than DOS 2.0 in an Eagle luggable.

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I had a simple computer class for 1/2 yr in high school,
that was 1980,

used a very basic computer at work about 15yrs later for internal only email, as well as some other work related functions,

Dad went all high tech and had someone build him a machine in the late 90's, damn thing had a tower that was maybe 2 feet tall, used earthlink to connect via internal modem,

he had no idea how to use it, I have even less of an idea (not used to the internet, we did not have access at work) and used it mostly to play Doom,,

in 2004, when I bought our first computer (late bloomer,, ) we still did not have internet access at work, but did have an extensive intranet for the company,

that cheap gateway , using comcast broad band, had a pirated copy of microsoft office (2003 edition iirc) and that was about it,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
8086 and Altus Page Maker.
Lotus 123 for spreadsheets

WordPerfect couldn’t even guess the rev. 3 maybe?

Kermit comm software and a Supra fax modem!

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Discounting game programs for my Apple II+ and C64, it would probably be the WordStar suite for CP/M-86 on my NEC APC, the first computer I owned that I used for "real" work. Roll Eyes

I also...(ahem)...accumulated compilers for that one, and got a copy of AutoCAD 1.0 among other programs. The NEC was a workhorse and it also came with MS-DOS, but finding software in either CP/M-86 or MS-DOS released on 8" floppies was a real bitch.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Wordstar on 720K floppy for Osborne computer with 4” green screen. Printer was a converted electric typewriter.

My favorite old package was Ami Pro...so sad it lost to excel.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I had the only PC at the bank where my first job was. I used a lot of Lotus123. The secretaries had dedicated word processing machines. My PC had some word processing software on it, but I deliberately didn't learn how to use it, lest I become a de-facto secretary.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post