SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What were your earliest software packages?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What were your earliest software packages? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
If I skip my first computer, an Atari 800XL with 256k bank select memory and toggle switched EEPROMs with AtariDOS, SpartaDOS, and a decompiler, along with a phone coupled modem, and go directly to my first IBM DOS machine, my first software packages were WordPerfect for DOS, VisiCalc, and Netscape.

A lot of water under the bridge since then but it was fun reminiscing. Smile

What did you folks start with?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
WordPerfect for my Atari 1040ST.

My first computer was an Atari 800. Then the 800XL, then a 1200XL. I skipped the XEs and went to the 1040ST, then a 4160STe that I bought from the guys at Double Click software then to a Packard Bell 486 and I don’t remember the bunch of computers after that.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DanPatWork
posted Hide Post
We had an original pong, tandy color computer, trs80, and then a swan IBM clone that was a precurse to Dell or gateway.

My parents were semi earlier adopters. Mom convinced dad we needed the color computer. I would have been better off with a new pellet gun but it was fun

ETA should have included the important info.. first software was probably the modem dialer for CompuServe, where I would download game code, and then it was wordperfect. Anything else and I had to type it in from a printout or magazine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DanPatWork,

Posts: 284 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
My first computer was a Timex Sinclair 1000. I learned to write some BASIC on it and load programs from our cassette player. I had some game where you did actions and moves in two word sets. Like get book, go north, etc. It was some kind of adventure raiders of the lost ark type game. We played for hours exploring the different environments and rooms and challenges. So much fun.
I formally learned BASIC on a tandy TRS80 as well, but that was in school. But my first real computer that was all mine was a Commodore 64. I cant list all the programs I had for it. It was my first modem as well, and I would dial into some BBS in Atlanta.

I still have them all on a shelf in my office.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first computer was a Mac SE complete with 2 floppy drives....Forget all your useful software like Mac Write, Mac Paint, etc...I had Mac Playmate, complete with a "panic button" that would launch a spreadsheet!

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Descriptions Now! and Policies Now! by Knowledgepoint.

PkZip by PKware.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
I had a Commodore VIC 20. I think it was hooked to a small black & white TV. It had a cassette player for data storage. Datasette?? I really don't remember much about software for it. This was early to mid 1980's.... Wink

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
My first computer was a Timex Sinclair 1000. I learned to write some BASIC on it and load programs from our cassette player. I had some game where you did actions and moves in two word sets. Like get book, go north, etc. It was some kind of adventure raiders of the lost ark type game. We played for hours exploring the different environments and rooms and challenges. So much fun.
I formally learned BASIC on a tandy TRS80 as well, but that was in school. But my first real computer that was all mine was a Commodore 64. I cant list all the programs I had for it. It was my first modem as well, and I would dial into some BBS in Atlanta.

I still have them all on a shelf in my office.

My first computer was a Timex Sinclair too. I learned BASIC on it.
After that I used a TimeShare connection, with an acoustic coupler and a teletype machine (no Monitor). If you screwed up, you had to start all over again.
Trash 80 after that.

My first useful PC was an IBM PC with a 4.77 MHz 8088 processor, running DOS 3.0 (or 3.3?). It had a 10Meg hard drive (that cost something like $800 - real money in 1987).

After that it was a 80286, 80386, 80486, Pentium, etc.
Never got into Apple or the Mac.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
There was a data base manager I paid $100 for to run on my 16k Apple ][, before Visicalc, et al.

I no longer remember the name, and do not believe I ever got it to run succesfully. It was exceeded in it uselessness only by its complexity.

For decades thereafter, I refused to buy software unless I could get a pirated copy, see it run in my system and satisfy myself that it was what it was represented to be. Then, and only then, was I happy to pay for a legit copy.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Are we counting games on an Atari 2600?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Apple II with no hard drive and two floppy disk drives.
The "software" makes DOS look advanced now.
Things have come a long way but not always for the better.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
IBM 1401 with 8KB of core (hard-wired BCD), had to upgrade it to 16KB before it would print a 30-year amortization table on the chain printer. Software packages? We eventually got the Fortran compiler running, but mostly we wrote in assembler (punch cards). The high school actually owned it, but it was mine!

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
My first computer was a 286 something-or-other. I think I bought a starwars game on 5.25 floppies. Lol

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cant recall.... but do remember floppy discs.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
A FORTH assembler (MacForth). For my fat (512K) Mac. FORTH is an interesting threaded programming language. Produces very compact code.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Zowsa - It has to be the Commodore 64 at the house. Staying up way too late on school nights entering lines of code from the latest COMPUTE magazine to make a little sprite dance on the screen. Only if, you were able to effectively debug the code.

Prior to that we did have Pong. Lucky kids~

Posts: 904 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
My first computer was a TRS-80 with 4k RAM. My second computer was a Commodore 64, and the first 'real' application I used was the Panther Assembler, so I could write machine language (assembly) code games.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Writing BASIC code for TRS 80s.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Apple II with no hard drive and two floppy disk drives.
The "software" makes DOS look advanced now.
Things have come a long way but not always for the better.

Me too. And the software instructions encouraged you to make a copy for regular use and store the original.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Atari 800 upgraded to have 48K RAM.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post