SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sen. Ted Cruz: Mike Lee is the best choice for the Supreme Court
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sen. Ted Cruz: Mike Lee is the best choice for the Supreme Court Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Swamp creature promoting one of its own. Roll Eyes

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion...r-supreme-court.html

Sen. Ted Cruz: Mike Lee is the best choice for the Supreme Court

By Sen. Ted Cruz | Fox News

President Trump is scheduled to announce one of the most important decisions of his presidency on Monday: the name of his second nominee to the Supreme Court, to replace retiring Justice Anthony Kennedy.

This will be a defining moment for President Trump’s legacy. Every president is remembered for his nominations to the Supreme Court – and not always positively.

Past Republican presidents have repeatedly nominated justices who failed to live up to the principles they were selected to represent. For example, President George H.W. Bush’s selection of liberal David Souter was one of the most consequential errors of his presidency.

Indeed, many of the worst liberal judicial activists, including William Brennan, John Paul Stevens, and Harry Blackmun – the author of the Roe v. Wade decision that legalized abortion nationwide – were appointed by Republican presidents. These mistakes haunt the legacies of presidents, a specter they can never shake. We cannot let this happen again.

Most presidents are forced to gamble on a nominee they do not truly know – someone who has spent a lifetime outside the public eye. Presidents must pore over the thinnest bodies of evidence on these people, trying to discern their convictions and ability from scattered cases and the recommendations of others. It’s a risk, when what a president really needs is a sure thing.

President Trump, however, has lucked out. He has a sure thing, battle-tested, ready, and willing to serve: Sen. Mike Lee.

Sen. Lee, R-Utah, was made for this moment. No other candidate has his combination of record, ability, and a sure-fire path to confirmation – and no other candidate would excite conservative voters this November more than someone they know and trust, like Mike Lee.

Moreover, Lee safeguards President Trump’s Supreme Court legacy for all time, because there is not a single soul out there who can doubt that a Justice Mike Lee would remain true to the convictions he has fought for his entire life.

First, there is no question that Mike Lee is extraordinarily well-qualified to serve on the Supreme Court. His legal acumen and experience are unparalleled.

Indeed, Lee has served in all three branches of the federal government. He clerked for two federal judges, including Supreme Court Justice Sam Alito. He was a federal prosecutor, general counsel to the governor of Utah, and has served his home state for the better part of a decade in the U.S. Senate.

As Lee’s colleagues know, he is a brilliant legal thinker, capable of seeing all sides of an issue through a principled, constitutionalist lens.

Lee would interpret the Constitution and laws according to their original meaning and text. He literally wrote the book on the lost clauses of our Constitution and how they protect our fundamental liberties.

A Justice Lee wouldn’t let activist lower courts distort the meaning of our laws and Constitution in order to impose their left-wing preferences on the nation. After all, who knows better that a judge’s job is to apply the law as it is – and not to legislate from the bench – than someone who was previously a legislator himself?

Mike Lee has a proven track record as a formidable advocate for the separation of powers, for federalism, for the Bill of Rights, and for a limited judicial role that adheres to originalism and textualism in judicial interpretation.

This is the judicial model that made Justices Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas so revered by conservatives, and it is why Justice Neil Gorsuch has been such a strong success for President Trump. And now the president has the chance to do it again with Sen. Lee.

President Trump and conservatives can be sure that Lee won’t change. We’ve seen time and again judges bending to pressure from the liberal media and the D.C. cocktail party circuit once they get to the high court, moderating their decisions or avoiding tough issues when they matter most.

But if one thing is certain, it’s that Lee won’t bend his principles in the face of pressure. I’ve seen it myself in the Senate, where Lee has always stood up and fought for what he believed was right, regardless of whether it was popular with the D.C swamp.

Finally, President Trump should consider the single biggest political advantage that Lee has over every other name on his list of potential nominees. As a U.S. senator, his nomination process would be simple and his confirmation would not be in doubt.

Sen. Lee has the respect and admiration of his colleagues, Republicans and Democrats alike. And even with Republicans’ slim majority, senators on both sides of the aisle would have little trouble giving their advice and consent to a nominee they have served alongside for years.

When it comes to this Supreme Court nomination, President Trump can have it all. He can bring home another huge victory for conservatives with success being certain. And he can honor his promise to the American people to nominate justices “in the mold of Scalia and Thomas.” No other nominee fits that mold like Mike Lee.

After countless mistakes by Republicans, we finally have a chance to get this right. President Trump can become the first Republican president in recent history to hit a home run on all his Supreme Court nominations, cementing his legacy for all time.

Nominating Sen. Mike Lee to the Supreme Court is the way to do it.

Q

Posts: 26380 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I don't want either of those guys near the SCOTUS. They have both demonstrated that they will let their personal feelings and emotions guide their public/professional actions.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nominating Sen. Mike Lee to the Supreme Court is the way to do it

That is part of the problem with courts is political opinions for decades.
How about we just let the president select,he has done a great job so far
We damn sure do not need any congress critters F$%
up things.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
As I said in the other thread:

Mike Lee might be the best pick. He might be the best pick on this planet. Hell, Mike Lee might be the best pick in the entire galaxy, but he will never get the nod from Trump. NEVER.

Do you think Trump saw this video? Do you think a man that (rightly or wrongly) is willing to call out John McCain for McCain's bullshit, would pick a guy for SCOTUS that would make a video like this?

It's like Lyin' Ted Cruz doesn't remember who lives at 1600.

EDIT - Shit this video burns my behind even more now with all that Clinton pulled, and all that the uniparty and FBI/CIA/DOJ is doing. Trump is the ONLY, and I mean ONLY, guy that can weather this shit.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Nope

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best candidate will be whomever the President says......... Big Grin . Live with it !

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
The best candidate will be whomever the President says......... Big Grin . Live Deal with it !

Wink

Q

Posts: 26380 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's gonna be the chick- Tammy Suzy Bryant or whatever the fuck her name is.

Candy Shirley Bowman. Penny Sherry Buckman

Something like that

Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Nope to Lee.....

EasyFire

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
And it's not going to be Ted Cruz, either.

It's gonna be Tammy Tammy Buford or whatever

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I see you're not hyphenating Stephanie Rachel Randalson's name.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

We should distinguish the swamp from those who are actually fighting for us. Mike Lee and Ted Cruz are on our side.

I don't think Mike Lee will be chosen for the Supreme Court, but it was a nice letter Ted Cruz wrote in support of his friend.

quote:
It's gonna be the chick...

Probably.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24108 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post

He should nominate The Brain.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
I don't want either of those guys near the SCOTUS. They have both demonstrated that they will let their personal feelings and emotions guide their public/professional actions.

Yep. I really don’t care who Ted Cruz thinks is good for SCOTUS and I doubt our President does, either.

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It's gonna be the chick- Tammy Suzy Bryant or whatever the fuck her name is.

Candy Shirley Bowman. Penny Sherry Buckman

Something like that

So long as that name isn't Danky Wubberman Stolz* I think we're good.

*Gratuitous Danky reference.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

We should distinguish the swamp from those who are actually fighting for us. Mike Lee and Ted Cruz are on our side.

Yep. I would be ecstatic to have either on SCOTUS but it will not happen. I know exactly where both stand on issues important to me especially immigration, ACA, and the Second Amenemdent, which is a big reason they could never be confirmed. Either would insure we don't get another Anthony Kennedy. I am not near as confident with many on the list due to lack of any record on such.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Swamp creatures promoting other swamp creatures.

Nope.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:

I mean this as an honest question, what exactly has Lee done for us for you to feel he is on "our" side?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Horse shit:

"Senator Mike Lee Calls For Donald Trump To Step Down as the Republican Nominee"

He is NOT on our side and he can go fuck himself. He's blind as a bat and therefore, part of the problem.

Do you know what would have happened if Donald Trump had taken the advice of this DOLT? We'd have President Hillary Clinton right now. You know it's true.

So, the guy can go fuck himself. I'm not interested in hearing one single thing he has to say and I certainly wouldn't want someone who has exhibited such outrageously poor judgement to sit on the Supreme Court.

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Lee, and to a larger extent Cruz, are seasoned public whore politicians who happened to have conservative values. I do not want to see public whore politicians in the court. I want them to be quiet, unassuming citizens, not political animals.

And yes, Mike Lee can go jump into a lake. Being a conservative Republican and anti-Trump shows extremely poor judgement.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post