SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who else is excited about hunting season?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who else is excited about hunting season? Login/Join 
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted
I have been unable to deer hunt for two years due to a back injury.

I am good to go this year and can't wait. I hunt my own land and two years off seems to have increased the deer population. Of course they will probably disappear on opening day. Big Grin

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I'm not there yet but getting there. Thinking how busy and stressed I've been this year, it would be good to take a week off and sit in a blind with my crossbow.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Haven't been able to go the last season or two due to one reason or another.
Got my new Tikka sighted in & ready to go.

Only downside is the 6-7 hour drive to our ranch.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoyW
posted Hide Post
Oct.1 cant get here fast enough.
I will probably be getting the bow out here in a week or two and start slinging some arrows.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 84 | Location: Taylorville,Il. | Registered: June 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I have 3 cameras set up at the ranch that text pictures to an app on my tablet. There are some nice bucks in velvet visiting my spots along with lots of hogs and Aoudad too. Can't wait for bow season to start!

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I grew up in a time/place/family where hunting wasn't a pastime. Central Michigan in the 60's was NOT a hunter's paradise. Rabbit and pheasant were scarce, deer were practically unheard of.

So, I never got the bug. I HAVE gone hunting with in-laws and even bagged a (small...) deer, but lack of skill and old age have pretty much eliminated any urge I might have to walk around in the woods with a gun. I can't get through the woods quietly, and I can't sit for more than a few minutes without stiffening up so bad it brings tears to my eyes.

My daughter, OTOH, is some wicked fierce to go! She's taken a turkey and a small black bear, but deer have eluded her to date. She'll be out there as soon as bow season starts and won't give up until muzzle loader season is over or she bags one. She's been seeing a lot of nice candidates on game cameras on her new property, so maybe this will be the year.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I'm always excited about hunting season. Especially deer season. I'm fighting a rotator cuff injury this year, so I'm not sure how much I'll get to bow hunt, but I'll be in the woods even if I'm just sitting in the stand watching the trails.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
6 weeks till bow season here and I've been ready since last season ended.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I allow hunting by permission only on the property. I believe that five deer per tag is still allowed (2) bucks (3) doe or all does. This year in North Carolina hunting is allowed on Sunday. I draw the line there not on my property. I also have a preference that all hunting is from tree stands and or other elevated platforms.

I've never charged a fee to hunt on the property. This will be the twenty-third year of our ownership of the property and hunting access to others.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Every day is hog hunting season. Big Grin

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Every day is hog hunting season. Big Grin

Not here, it's been over 100 degrees most days lately and that is stay home in the A.C. season Razz

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have had bears at two places. One place is in the city and you can't shoot any kind of weapon except a blow gun. Big Grin How I know this is the neighbor is shooting birds in his blueberries since a blow gun is legal.

If you stop the video and move the slider back to the start, you can see the teeth on the bear as he gets a walnut off the tree.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have yet to get the bow out of the case. I keep telling myself this weekend I will start shooting.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
I am! I have access to about 600 acres and look forward to it every year. We have one deer we nicknamed 'Trump' because he is yuuuuugee. We couldn't tag him last year but he made it through the season and this may be the year.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4311 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
There are some big bucks in Loudoun County which has he highest deer population per square mile in VA.

Here is one using the neighbors feeder which will be illegal Sept 1.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
35 days until bow opens up. Im looking forward to heading up north to Lake Tomahawk and sitting in my stand. It's been a stressful year, so I'm excited about it. I'm trying to shoot a few times a week.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Scout cameras say this will be a good season.

A couple nice bears and 4 worthy bucks. Three weeks till bear season then another couple till bow season. Got the Stick all refinished this summer it just needs a bit of blood for the final touch.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I've got an either-sex pronghorn tag. A little more than 1 month away.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Can you guys recommend a game cam? Too many choices.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I've been trying to help my little brother get a moose for 3 years. Last year I called one in and got him a shot, but he wasn't confident enough to take it. I wasn't in position for the shot.

This year I've put my foot down that he has to be able to properly commit to the hunt or I'm not going. He needs at least 4-5 days IN the field, and he needs to be able to make 2-3" groups consistently at 200-300 yards in all conditions.

I don't think we're going to be going.

I'm still saving up for a boat, which is needed to get to my deer hunting grounds. My daughter passed hunter safety this winter and is learning how to shoot her ruger american in .308. I'm working hard to make a boat happen by next year's deer season.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post