SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who else is excited about hunting season?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who else is excited about hunting season? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Mainly a bird hunter. Dove starts on September 1st, then mountain quail. North East zone Duck opens October 7th, and the season runs until late January. Yeah, I'm getting excited.

Posts: 365 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I dread when deer hunt season begins and it continues through till January, 7 days a week now I believe.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to live for hunting season, dove, squirrel, quail, rabbit, deer, you name it (shot crows when nothing else was in season. Well arthritis has taken that away! So enjoy every minute of your chosen sport while you can, you never know what the future holds.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
Can you guys recommend a game cam? Too many choices.

I have nine Bushnell Trophy cameras. You can find them for as little as $150 at times. Two have failed after about five years and several others have a longer trigger time probably due to the capacitors going bad.

You want the No-Glow LED models.

http://bushnell.com/all-produc...l-cameras/trophy-cam

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnel...uflage/dp/B06XSH1V3Q

You will need a Master Lock Python cable to lock it to a tree....16 feet by 5/16 inch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Master...N8i7v4QdZhz5Lz2h6PTg

I use a small Master Lock Model 121T to lock the box:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Maste...yed-Padlocks/3052639

Here is a video of a Cooper's Hawk setting in front of the camera feeding on something...maybe a mouse.

I have more fun hunting with the trail cameras. Smile

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Garret Blaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
Can you guys recommend a game cam? Too many choices.

Browning strike force. They are great cameras, good trigger speed, and if you are patient you can get refurbs on eBay for around $50 (as high as $80). I just checked mine today...One of them had 478 pics (since July 9th) and was still at 97% battery life.

And yes I am ready for season, probably more than I have been in a long time, and I have been bow hunting 26 years. New bow, bunch of new equipment, and some new property that is amazing. Been shooting almost every day and scouting my ass off.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 335 | Location: Buffalo, WY | Registered: June 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Thank you Garret.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Thanks 41.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I get excited about hunting season for the last, well, 62 years now. Except ours does not start until November.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Duck season. Looks like I will try to scare up a hunt this year since I don't live in a good area for ducks. My last duck hunt was with a good friend of mine from high school that is currently a Federal Game warden. We limited out before 9:00 AM. I will probably call him.

Damn! It's been a while since I had wild duck and andouille gumbo!

T-Boy

Posts: 499 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: September 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I look forward to those times in my stand and am more than ready for the season to start...almost out of deer burger too.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I hope this year to be successful after two years off. I miss my 2002 Silverado, which I sold recently. But, I'm making vehicle changes to get back to the woods.

Anyone want to buy a 2006 Lexus RX330?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I hope this year to be successful after two years off. I miss my 2002 Silverado, which I sold recently. But, I'm making vehicle changes to get back to the woods.

Anyone want to buy a 2006 Lexus RX330?

I'll take it for $500 Wink

Anyway, back to the OP....definitely looking forward to the season. Love getting out to enjoy the peace and solitude. If a nice deer happens by, then that makes it even better.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Big time excited Jeff. This is the first year Michael (14) will be carrying a gun in the woods.

We've come a long way from him being in charge of the binoculars!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Deer hunting is becoming the sport of kings here in Texas, so I don't participate in it much anymore. I mostly just bird hunt now, it's my favorite type of hunting anyway.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I'm looking forward to dove season too. I'll probably just shoot the opener (September 1st), but that's alright. I shoot clays about twice a week and the difference between that and the challenge of shooting those quick turning birds is notable.

In November, I'll be going to New Mexico for bull elk and I'll be holding out for something in the 350+ class. I shot my first (a raghorn 5 point) last year and we've still got some meat in the freezer, so the pressure is off. A buddy from the Netherlands is flying out to go along as an observer, so regardless of my success, it going to be a fun hunt.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post