SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for a SS (stainless steel) canteen with a SS (stainless steel) cap
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a SS (stainless steel) canteen with a SS (stainless steel) cap Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
I want a 1 quart stainless canteen. One I can carry in my El cheapo Ncstar first responder bag that I take with me nealy everywhere. I would also like to be able to boil water in this canteen.

The ‘net abounds with “military style canteens” but they all have a plastic cap. Nearly all the reviews mention the cap cracking at some point.
Does no one make a SS canteen that doesn’t have a crappy plastic lid?
The only thing close that I’ve found is a Keith Products canteen.
But it’s titanium.
And it’s nearly $160 bucks! Only way I’m getting that is through some serious act of benevolence.

Maybe I’ll give this Stanley a try.
Maybe it’s just late (early) and my google-fu is weak.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hudr,

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

I saw that Stanley canteen from your link at Walmart. I don't remember the price, but the cap and threads are plastic . The stainless is just a plate on the cap from what I remember.

The Canteen Store is now Lost Wild Outdoors
www.LostWildOutdoors.com/
Look in the "Kit" section of their store for rugged canteen although they use ABS plastic tops. Maybe its due to cost, maybe the threads just do better with plastic on metal ~ I don't know but I bet they will sell you a 2nd top if you're really worried about lifetime use.

Another good canteen is sold by Self Reliance Outfitters:
www.SelfRelianceOutfitters.com/
but I think they are a business partner of Lost Wild Outdoors and two companies share manufacturing with each other.

Looking at some of the WWII reproduction companies, I found this all ALUMINUM canteen with ALUMINUM cap that is made to the pre-WW II M1910 canteen specs:
www.OnlineMilitaria.com/products/3582-US-M1910-Canteen-with-Cup-Reproduction/

They also sell just the ALUMINUM cap as well, and they have a close up of it here:
www.OnlineMilitaria.com/products/4628-US-Early-Style-Flat-Cap-for-M1910-Canteen/?bc=no

Calvary Officers were able to purchase a leather canteen carrier that attached to the saddle. This can easily be attached to the outside of your pack:
www.OnlineMilitaria.com/products/4768-US-Officer-Leather-Canteen-Carrier/?bc=no?bc=no

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sleepla8er,

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
US Canteen seems to have what you're looking for, but I'm not sure if they're even still around. The links in the following article seem to be dead. At the time of writing (2009) it was only $30!

US Canteen article

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That US canteen is exactly what I’m looking for, but, yeah, looks like the links are dead.

Well, shucks and other comments. I’ll mull it around a bit and see what I come up with.
Thanks, guys.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Ah, so close and yet so far.

More good news: the US Canteen "COMO" is sold on Amazon.

The bad news: of course, it's "currently unavailable".

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just my luck. Smile
Let’s see, my birthday is on Cinco de Mayo.
Some folks think that’s a drinking holiday...
Maybe someone will buy me that Ti canteen to drink out of....

4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
Much better than a canteen
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...5q407h0EL&ref=plSrch and might be cheaper directly from rtic

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you end up going with what Zecpull has shown. Run over to Walmart instead, go into the sporting goods section and pick up the Ozark Trail branded one instead. That's what I use at work. I have both an RTIC and an Ozark Trail tumbler, they both hold ice for the same amount of time... Ozark Trail is much cheaper...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zecpull:
Much better than a canteen
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...5q407h0EL&ref=plSrch and might be cheaper directly from rtic

Thanks, but I’m working with a specific set of parameters with regards to size constraints and capabilities. It doesn’t have to keep liquids cold or hot, but I want to be able to stick it over a fire and boil/purify water. I carry this pack everywhere, even on the bike. A quart canteen is just about the perfect size and shape. I have a few rudimentary medical supplies and other stuff in there as well. It’s kind of a get home, EDC bag.

Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post
All that comes to mind is either a little under or over your capacity standards and not the classic military shape. Meets the metal cap and boil water requirements.

Klean Kanteen Reflect 27oz

https://www.kleankanteen.com/c...oz?variant=860232191

Or the classic 40oz and buy the metal cap.

https://www.kleankanteen.com/c...z?variant=1605355075

https://www.kleankanteen.com/c...s/stainless-loop-cap

Posts: 2997 | Location: FL | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:I would also like to be able to boil water in this canteen.

Are you planning on drinking from this canteen after it's contents have been boiled? I'm picturing someone drinking from a stovetop water kettle directly Eek

Are you gonna bring hot mitts to pour that boiled water into a separate cup?

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
where did you find a two strap bag, mine is a single strap and don't care for it much.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54612 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:I would also like to be able to boil water in this canteen.

Are you planning on drinking from this canteen after it's contents have been boiled? I'm picturing someone drinking from a stovetop water kettle directly Eek

Are you gonna bring hot mitts to pour that boiled water into a separate cup?

The military canteens I’ve been looking at have folding wire handles. I have also used a leatherman tool as a set of tongs in the past. In a single wall canteen, the contents cool rather quickly. This is an emergency type scenario. I don’t plan on building a fire in my cubicle and having tea at work.
I have thought this through a little.

And bendanle, I picked the bag up at my LGS. There’s also a link somewhere in an earlier post.

posted Hide Post
If you want to consider titanium, look into www.heavycoverinc.com. Their titanium canteen has a titanium cap and a fitted cup. Not inexpensive, but really nice kit.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KenS:
If you want to consider titanium, look into www.heavycoverinc.com. Their titanium canteen has a titanium cap and a fitted cup. Not inexpensive, but really nice kit.

Ken

Yeah, I looked at basically the same thing from Keith Products...nice, but a bit spendier than what I was looking for.

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Eek And me thinking we were about to start a Classifieds
section of nazi paraphernalia Big Grin That's, what happens when English is not you primary language.

My apologies, if someone needs them.

Big Grin

0-0

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
section of nazi paraphernalia Big Grin That's, what happens when English is not you primary language.

Big Grin

0-0

Thanks, 0-0, you’ve “Godwin’s Law”-ed my thread.. Big Grin

I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:

Big Grin

0-0

No Nicky, I thought that too!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have made a decision.

I’m gonna wait.

A couple weekends of OT.
One more load of livestock to the sale barn.
One more unused firearm sale.

And I’ll just get the Ti kit.
Buy once, cry once. Right?

Oh, and I’ve changed the title....might be confused as a click bait situation. Wink