SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question About ABC Fire Extinguisher: Placing Outdoors
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question About ABC Fire Extinguisher: Placing Outdoors Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I finally changed out the ancient ABC fire extinguisher mounted at the top of my basement stairs and started thinking it may be a good idea to mount one outside on my patio, under the covered portion near my back door. Might be a good idea if I ever had a grill fire or something.

Can I mount one out there? I can’t find anything in the packaging or manual with the new one that says I can or can’t. We have pretty cold winters here in SE Pennsylvania which can be single digits at night in January-February and summers can get hot with temps in the high 90’s.

Can a small wall mount Kidde ABC fire extinguisher take those kinds of temps and hold up?

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would say yes, no problems. We have them mounted in every school bus. Which has no AC and around here is hotter inside then the outside ambient temperature. They set there in the cold, and school buses are never very warm and the ABC fire extinguisher do just fine.

SOP is to turn them upside down and shake them at least once a month, I do it once a week.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it should be fine. They also sell those plastic enclosure boxes if it's in a wet location.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I'll add another Yes. It'll be perfectly fine outside.

And a box like Jimmy suggested would certainly protect the extinguisher better, but an extinguisher cover bag will also protect it for much cheaper. Those boxes can be expensive.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
When I was recently at a Mendards acquiring the heater for the garage I noticed they had a sale on fire extinguishers going. Being as the fire extinguishers at the ensigmatic household were "whatever I had on-hand at the time," were probably all undersized, and were all more than 26 years old: I thought "Now would be a good time to address this." So I bought a larger one for the garage, two of the smaller ones for basement and µBarn, and a white one for the kitchen.

The white one's label states "Do not store at high temperatures above 120 F or at extremely cold temperatures below -40 F."

Kidde says only this about storage temperatures: At what temperature should I store my fire extinguishers?

I figure we won't hit -40°F here. At least I hope not! And I doubt it hits 120°F, even in the warmest weather, in either garage or shed.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone.

The area where it will be mounted actually has a roof over it so it won't need a cover.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would suggest some kind of simple plug in the nozzle. We have mud wasps here in York County and I can certainly envision them making a nest right in that spot.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Let me suggest, as a former Fire Inspector (one of many hats) that you take a rubber mallet and give it a few whacks on the bottom while the unit is upside down to keep the powder from caking so much. Monthly is ideal.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post