SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thoughts and experience on the Ford Focus 2016?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts and experience on the Ford Focus 2016? Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
So we just sold off my old Kia commuter car and looking at upgrading. On the radar is a 2016 Ford Focus S. It has 22k miles, is accident free and in good condition. Anyone here on the forum have experience with these?

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
My friend loved that little car. I rode with him and he didnt baby it. He is 7 feet tall and has huge shoes. A ski instructor in Winter. He after years bought a Velocster...spell check that. He likes it but less powerful than his Focus.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it has an automatic STAY AWAY. Ford dropped the ball so badly on the auto transmission in these cars that there are Ford Dealers in the Detroit area who will NOT sell a Focus with an automatic.

BTW, the manuals are really sweet rides, especially the ST and the RS.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SJS
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that years 2015 and earlier had automatic transmission problems due to the clutch design but that was resolved for model year 2016 forward. Got this from a salesman friend when looking at them for my son (didn’t end up buying one).

SJS

Posts: 682 | Location: NC | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have two friends with them and both cars have well over 300k on them.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
we love our 17 rs

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The leather Recaro seat in my 2017 Focus ST was a bit tight to begin with, but now that I have a few thousand miles on it, the seat is snug. My kids love it. Especially my 8 yo who always says "Dad, make the vroom, vroom sound!"

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Son has one and absolutely loves it...except he now has 3 kids. He uses it to commute to work 25 miles each way and to airports when flying out on a business trip.
Zero problems so far and he drives it a lot. Not sure about mileage.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I’d buy a 2016 Mazda3 before a 2016 Focus.

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I’d go with the Fiesta ST over it. That or upgrade to the Focus ST. The Fiesta ST is an outstanding car. Handles like a dream, inexpensive, good fuel mileage. And it has some pep. Poor man’s rally car and would make an excellent DD.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Agreed, the Fiesta ST would be great if you don't need to drive with people in the back seat.

There's probably nothing wrong with the Focus S you are looking at. But the same could be said about a gajillion other cars that satisfy basic point A to B and back transportation, except they are all boring as **** to drive. Life's short, if you're going to spend a bunch of it in a vehicle, you might as well have some fun.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
These cars have possibly the worst transmission ever made.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
My wife drives a 2016 Focus SE, with the one liter Ecoboost and Automatic. She has 43,000 miles on it with no problems. That thing routinely gets about 42 miles per gallon.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6486 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Is the 2016 Focus any good in snow? The wheelbase looks a little narrow and it appears to sit low to the ground. Anyone experience winter driving in one? Thanks! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
We don't get much snow here, but have driven my wife's in a couple of inches of snow and it did fine.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6486 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Fella at work here has one
It has the transmission stutter many complain of in economy mode

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post