SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I know where my Father was on this date in 1945

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
I know where my Father was on this date in 1945 Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
On this date in 1945, we fully secured the Philippine capital of Manila from the Japanese.

My Dad was there.

No real reason for the post, just remembering.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Report This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Although I'm not positive, there's a good chance my Papa (grandfather) was there as well.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Report This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
Yeah... I can always remember when the war in Europe was officially over -> May 8, 1945. And although my father served in the South Pacific, I STILL remember that day, as May 8 was his birthday. I also remember that he was a SUPER Patriot; you'd better not let him hear you say ANYTHING against this country. What a generation! God, ,I wish we had them ALL back now.

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Report This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
On this date in 1945, we fully secured the Philippine capital of Manila from the Japanese.

My Dad was there.

No real reason for the post, just remembering.

My Grandfather was somewhere offshore. He brought home pictures of Manilla all shot up. He said when he came ashore, there were Japanese soldiers floating in the harbor. He brought home a Japanese helmet that I didn't like to look at as a kid (it had a bullet hole in it).

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
My father's log shows his first flight out of Clark Air Base was March 23. He was the System Engineer on a B-24, 43 Bomb Wing, 64 Bomb Squadron.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
My Dad was in Neuss, on the west bank of the Rhine River in Germany, with the 83rd Infantry Division, after surviving weeks of combat in the Hurtgen Forest and then the Battle of the Bulge.

Posts: 1400 | Location: Butte, Mont. | Registered: May 31, 2004Report This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My dad was a sophomore in high school, but FIL was an Officer in 41st Infantry Division in the Phillipines in the front lines fighting the Japanese.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Report This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
My dad was in HS but in the summer 45 joined the Navy and was in the Philippines later in the year on a minesweeper.
He's still around BTW.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Report This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
My Dad was still on Iwo Jima. He left on March 22 or 23.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Report This Post
Loved those Texas
one room schools
posted Hide Post
On this date in 1945 we were living near Alvin, Texas, where Dad was helping build something for the war effort. I think it was a gasoline refinery.

"Louis was furious with the sharks. He thought they had an understanding: The men would stay out of the sharks' turf - the water - and the sharks would stay off theirs - the raft...If the sharks were going to try to eat him, he was going to try to eat them." From Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Posts: 1862 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: May 26, 2005Report This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
My grandmother was in Manilla, as well. Being Philippino and all...

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Report This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Also in the Philippines, but to the north on the Villa Verde Trail. The fighting there continued, some until the Japanese surrender.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Report This Post