SIGforum
Spent this beautiful Fall day on firewood

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/1870033574

October 06, 2020, 09:19 PM
ridewv
Spent this beautiful Fall day on firewood
While I have plenty of wood for this coming Winter I like to stay a year ahead so I decided to spend most of today on some of next year's supply.

Went over on some trails on part of the property I seldom use and realize I need to take the brush cutter on them pretty soon because they're growing over.

Soon I found a dead fallen maple across the trail.

There's a lot of wood in this dead standing oak to the right of the Mule I may work on it tomorrow.

This standing dead oak to the right behind the Mule was next.

Two more loads back to the house which is fine with Sophie.

More splitting.

Took a couple loads to my sister who lives in the adjoining property I have up the road.....

....only to find a dead Scotch Pine that I have been meaning to cut down, had fallen. So that will be sectioned and just pushed over in the woods.

All in all a wonderful day and tomorrow looks to be more of the same.

Post your firewood pics.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.
October 07, 2020, 10:44 AM
old rugged cross
Looks beautiful out there. Getting firewood is a great activity and for us, a necessity.

Before long winter will settle in. The snow will fall. Accumulate and pile up. The cold will come and all will be right with the world again. Once the stove gets lit and the fire burns continuously.

I will be ready for the months ahead.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"
October 07, 2020, 10:50 AM
6guns
I can smell the fall air!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>
October 07, 2020, 11:42 AM
Ox190
I love cutting and splitting firewood. I get a very strong sense of accomplishment every time I do it.
October 07, 2020, 01:25 PM
Rey HRH
It sounds like work but it looks like it's good work. If I knew what I was doing, I wouldn't mind doing that.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.
October 07, 2020, 01:31 PM
chbibc
I can think of no better way to spend the day (other than bowhunting from a tree stand Wink )

I've been working on my supply for the 2021-22 season as well from a huge oak tree that fell not far from me.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.
October 07, 2020, 02:26 PM
Elk Hunter
We moved here in Sept. 1985. Put in a wood stove/fireplace insert. Our property is about 4.3 acres. Have been heating with wood since then, and never bought a single piece of wood.

I estimate we have about 12 cords of wood split and stacked, ready for the colder weather.

Wife and grandson came up with some idea about a new insert/wood stove and ordered it. Supposed to be much more efficient, burns up to 10 hours on a single stoking. Also comes with a steel flue liner which eliminates the chimney sweeping.

We have 3 dead BIG hardwood trees that will come down after the leaves have fallen. Not sure I am looking forward to that, altho the exercise will do me good.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter
October 08, 2020, 05:43 AM
blusmoke
Ok ridewv, what part of the state?
I am just outside of Elkins
Trees here are fantastic this year
We should get together and have a pepperoni roll!
October 08, 2020, 08:08 AM
signewt
now that's a NICE way to spend the day;

I just finished splitting up a couple moderate sized viney maple that fell over in our odd windstorm last month that heralded widespread regional fires.

Viney maple doesn't usually get so large here, these trunks were about thigh sized. Good addition to the wood shed in any case.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

October 08, 2020, 08:35 AM
navyshooter
quote:
Originally posted by blusmoke:
Ok ridewv, what part of the state?
I am just outside of Elkins
Trees here are fantastic this year
We should get together and have a pepperoni roll!

I just talked to my Mom down in Lincoln County and she commented on the trees turning. I really miss this time of year back home.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi
October 08, 2020, 07:01 PM
chbibc
A month ago my buddy and I were able to take all of a huge oak that had fallen. Wood will be great for 2021-22 season. I've been splitting and stacking the smaller logs.

-----------------------
October 09, 2020, 05:13 AM
SummersAtTheLake
Looks like a good time was had for you and your helper. I always enjoy splitting wood and have about a dozen 18" Oak trees felled, de-limbed, and stacked on top of each other after I cleared an area 2 years ago. Some I have been saving for firewood and others I have been cutting into 10-12' lengths and making split rail fence out of..splitting for fence rails is a good workout for an old man like me
October 09, 2020, 07:53 AM
florida boy
I enjoy cutting and splitting firewood. We heat about 80% with wood and I am also involved in a wood ministry thru our church.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry
October 09, 2020, 04:28 PM
chbibc
Your post inspired me! It was such a nice afternoon here that I took off from work and stacked on our front porch. There are two rows there; one behind the other. Ready for the cold!

-----------------------
October 09, 2020, 04:54 PM
Ace31
Where in NWV are you located?
October 10, 2020, 12:37 PM
ridewv
Shortly after posting this I’ve been mostly out of cell signal, tent camping at Burnsville Lake at the moment where there’s a bar of signal.
Nice to see lots of you cut and heat with wood as well.
Preston County WV just south of the PA line.

Off to canoe now

October 10, 2020, 02:40 PM
tomgun
We heat with wood we never use the electric heat. I cut all our wood I’ve never bought any.

My gunstore owner friend has a lot of downed alder trees I’ve been helping him cut, and I’ve taken a couple cords home, with at least one more to come.

Most of my wood is under tarps now.

I also have a friend who works at a pallet place and we get a lot of these 2x6 pieces to add to the mix.

This little Lopi heats the whole house.

October 10, 2020, 02:47 PM
JD DRIVER
Question. What about termites with stacking on the ground? Do you even have them up north?
October 10, 2020, 02:49 PM
tomgun
I keep mine off the ground on pallets. The most troublesome termite here is the damp wood termite so keeping the wood high and dry is the most important thing.
October 11, 2020, 08:32 PM
ridewv
quote:
Originally posted by JD DRIVER:
Question. What about termites with stacking on the ground? Do you even have them up north?

Termites better get out of my fire wood quick or they're in for a hot surprise!
Seriously though I have multiple stacks of wood which I rotate through and none stay on the ground near my house or garage so I've never even seen any termites. Do see the occasional snake and mice though.