SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How much do you tip for delivery?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much do you tip for delivery? Login/Join 
Picture of Green Highlander
posted
Just wondering what everyone tips for delivery? My wife was telling me it should be the same as dine-in but I think that is excessive. What says the collective?

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I rarely get delivery but it's just $3-5. I always thought of it as a flat tip instead of a % because it's not like if I order more it's going to cause them significantly more work to bring it to the car and bring it to my door. Dine in service is totally different as they're taking the orders, refilling drinks, clearing tables, etc.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I use to give 3-5 bucks, but in the current environment I do 20% if it is higher. Especially if it is a local business.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For pick up or delivery, I go with a minumum of three bucks and up to 10%.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
I guess for me it’s based on what it is, where it is from and how far they drive.
I try to take care off folks who touch my food.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I usually tip 20% for dine in.

For delivery, it's also 20% but a minimum of $5. It's only one touch point, but:
  • they're burning gas and have wear & tear on their vehicle.
  • depending on the type of delivery service (e.g. Uber Eats), they could be only doing 1 delivery at a time which is way different than waiting on a half dozen tables at once. Now, if a restaurant has their own delivery staff (e.g. Dominos Pizza) then they're making multiple deliveries on 1 trip.

I took an Uber earlier this year, and noticed the guy also had a food delivery bag in the vehicle so I struck up a conversation with him. He had quit delivering Uber Eats because he wasn't even making minimum wage due to so many people tipping so poorly. He then switched to Favor (both restaurants and grocery), and the final straw was spending 45 minutes picking up groceries and delivering to only get a $2 tip. Around me delivery times have really gone up since there aren't enough delivery drivers and I'm assuming that is tied to poor tipping.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    For delivery I do about 15% plus a little extra rounded up. Dine in is closer to 20%. Take out maybe 10%.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Muzzle flash
    aficionado
    Picture of flashguy
    posted Hide Post
    I never see the people who deliver to me. I use UPS, FedEx, and USPS.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    eh-TEE-oh-clez
    Picture of Aeteocles
    posted Hide Post
    Dine in 20%.

Delivery $5.

In a dine-in restaurant, tips are split with the kitchen and bus staff. The server has the direct ability to affect the timing of your meal by having a good relationship with the kitchen and expediter. You are also tying up the use of the table for the duration of the meal. Tip serves as a substitute for a service charge that would occur when you sat down at a dine in restaurant in other parts of the world.

Delivery tip is just that, a little extra for getting my food to me without delay or hassle.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Unmanned Writer
    Picture of LS1 GTO
    posted Hide Post
    Here in San Diego I used to tip until most delivery places included a delivery fee (gas and convenience).

Just like in sit-down places; once I see that, the option of a tip goes out the window (I will tip a healthy tip during the end of the year (Christmas and Chanukah doncha know) and if/when the service good).

There have been a couple times where I wrote, "with service this bad, there should be an option for a negative tip amount."

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    semi-reformed sailor
    Picture of MikeinNC
    posted Hide Post
    Mrs. Mikes business bought us dinner and had it delivered...we tipped the driver $5....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Hobbs
    posted Hide Post
    Only food I ever order for delivery is pizza. The total usually comes around or just under $20. I don't order delivery pizza very often but when I do, I always tip $5 (and random change depending on the total, because I round up). Figure not only are they delivering in a timely manner but in their own vehicle too. That's how I reason 'bout 25% anyway. Always $5 though and sometimes a buck or two more depending on what's in my wallet. Maybe they know me as the five bucks guy ... dunno.

Posts: 4698 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Leatherneck
    posted Hide Post
    Around 5 bucks regardless of how much the order is.

I was a delivery driver for a while and so I sympathize with the fact that some people tip like shit, but also there is virtually no more effort required to carry 3 pizzas than there is to carry 1.

If I ever went crazy and ordered so much that multiple trips to their car would be required I would tip more but I’ve never done that.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Purveyor of
    Fine Avatars
    Picture of Orguss
    posted Hide Post
    $4 or $5 most of the time. More depending on the situation.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of hjs157
    posted Hide Post
    $5 for pizza or Chinese delivery. Orders typically run between $25 - $35.

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of K0ZZZ
    posted Hide Post
    Usually at least 5 bucks, adding more if it is more than a couple miles away.

I will say though, the best thing for my sanity has been getting Instacart just for Costco. I don't know what Costco does to people shopping there but the intelligence level has to drop by 50% when you walk in those doors. I dread going there unless it's like a half hour before closing and I just need to grab a few things. Now, I have a private buyer get me my 5 lbs of Irish butter and deal with all that hassle, so I tip well there too!

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Ironmike57
    posted Hide Post
    I work for these guys 5 nights a week in Delray Beach.

https://deliverydudes.com/?gcl...hvE9MRhoCHtkQAvD_BwE

Tips vary widely. About 10% is the norm. I have been stiffed on a 200.00 order and tipped 25.00 on a 20.00 order. One of our drivers got a 50.00 cash tip on a 38.00 order the other night. Sometimes, we have to do a "personal shopper" where we have to do grocery shopping at a store like Publix. That sucks sometimes, because we are in the store for 30-45 minutes and get a 2.00 tip. I have a regular customer who orders a bottle of vodka every night. He is good for 10 bucks every time.

One thing that I have noticed is that new money tips cheaply and old money tips very well.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I Deal In Lead
    Picture of Flash-LB
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by flashguy:
    I never see the people who deliver to me. I use UPS, FedEx, and USPS.

flashguy

Neither do I.

Must be something with the names....

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    After reading the many responses, I feel like I need to up my tipping amounts for delivery and pickup.

Slight thread drift ahead...
    So far, the most I ever tipped was $30 for a $20 haircut last summer. It was the 1st haircut in months and wanted to help the local person out.

--Tom
    The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Probably on a trip
    Picture of furlough
    posted Hide Post
    I use Uber Eats for most of my deliveries and I always go 15%. Like people said, they are using their car and even if they combine your order with someone else's they are still making multiple stops.

Also just like Uber for rides - the ratings go both ways. You can rate your driver or delivery person but they can rate you as well. Just like in a sit-down restaurant that you frequent a lot - take care of the people taking care of you.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
    Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post