SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you only had around $50 for a watch...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you only had around $50 for a watch... Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
...what would it be? I thought this might be fun given there are a bunch of people here who really love watches. I had a friend/neighbor pose this exact question to me that got me thinking about it. The only limit on your recommendation is the watch must fall between $50-$60.

After rolling this over in my head, this is my pick. Casio Duro - On Amazon right now for $57. (Regular Black face is only $45, but I think the blue face is cool.)

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not into rubber bands, but that IS a very nice looking watch in blue and Casio builds good watches for the money (durable).

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Great choice. If only they made one without the scuba ring, but something a bit more functional for say, motorcycling.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I don't believe I have ever spent over $25-$30 on a watch.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4133 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
The Duro is hard to beat for an Analog. Here would be my pick for a digital that does just about everything you'd need at $46. Another Casio, the DW5600:

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That Casio “diver” is a decent watch. It’s pretty big, and the lume isn’t great, but I’ve had good service from mine for a couple of years now. I replaced the band with a cheap NATO type nylon strap.

[/url]

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@AH.74 beat me to it; the DW-5600 is hard to beat for around $45 or $50.

$60 is also in spitting distance of a nice little Citizen field watch. The BM8180-03E is 37mm x 43mm, solar-powered (“Eco-Drive”) with a day/date complication. I’ve bought three of them on sale: the first for $62 and the latter two for $57.

Posts: 385 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Personally, I would go with a G-Shock. Chrono24 has had good prices and I have had good results buying there.

https://www.chrono24.com/searc...dex=true&sortorder=0

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would look at a g-shock, a Timex or a Citizen.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As mentioned, the G-Shock 5600. In my opinion, the greatest watch ever made. My first one, purchased in the late 80's, went 12 years before the battery died. All the plastic case had peeled off by then, so it was time to retire it. The Casio Duro, as mentioned, is an excellent choice, too.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5158 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've got a big hand/wrist, so that big Casio diver looks like it would work well for me. And I love the color.

But I'd need to replace the strap ASAP... Perhaps a nice nylon one in matching dark blue.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I put on my 25-27 year old Timex Expedition Indiglo on last November for hunting and haven't taken it off since. My "good" (at least "better") Wink watches are collecting dust.

I AM wearing the backup. I finally wore the original one out. I wore it daily for 20+ years and literally wore the set knob off. I bought the backup on Ebay way back when while looking for a replacement strap. I found buying another watch was less than a strap. Looking online, that same model can be had used for $25-30 And they still make similar looking ones currently.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had one of those Casios for several years. I found a big, beefy stainless band to replace the rubber one. It's a nice watch, especially for the money. It is big, though, so skinny wrists will be overwhelmed.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3524 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
If you're near Philly, you can get this one for $50, and it tells time simultaneously in Beverly Hills, Monte Carlo, London, Paris, Rome, and Schtag.

Posts: 1983 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasScrub:
...and Schtag.

I believe you mean Gstaad (a high-roller resort town in Switzerland). Big Grin

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by TexasScrub:
...and Schtag.

I believe you mean Gstaad (a high-roller resort town in Switzerland). Big Grin

I can't even spell Flabbergasted. Oh wait...

Posts: 1983 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
What the heck, I just ordered myself one, along with a black with blue stripes NATO strap.

Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I'm really rough on watches so I've been wearing these for years. Usually less than $40.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have a tendency to destroy watches. For the longest time I was using Timex Expeditions and going through one or two a year. The last straw was when one exploded on me when I was at the academy 4 years ago. It happened on a monday, and I had to go the full week without a watch. Not good in a very time oriented environment like that, where being late can result in much unwanted "attention".

I decided it was time for something more durable. I endedup with a Momentum Steelix that I found on sale for $50. It has been a great watch. It has a few chips in the crystal now and some scratches, but it's still going strong and keeps good time. It looks like they are running about $100 now, but a quick search found one place listing them for $58.

https://huckberry.com/store/mo.../56715-steelix-nylon

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
hard to go wrong with either casio or timex. I'm amazed at the abuse my beater timex and casio takes. if I'm working outside and they get dirty I literally throw them on the ground and blast them with a hose. I've had them both for at least 15 years, probably 20. when I needed to chang the battery in my timex I couldn't get the back off so I sent it to timex. I told them if they couldn't get it off to just throw it away because I was happy with how long it lasted knowing the abuse it took. They sent me a brand new watch for free!

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post