SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you only had around $50 for a watch...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you only had around $50 for a watch... Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Got my Casio and NATO strap today:
Where did you grab that NATO strap from? That's a heck of a good looking strap.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
The only limit on your recommendation is the watch must fall between $50-$60.

After rolling this over in my head, this is my pick. Casio Duro - On Amazon right now for $57. (Regular Black face is only $45, but I think the blue face is cool.)

On sale this afternoon at Amazon for $48.00. It's been $69.97 for a few weeks now, but it pays to keep checking the price. My cheap self finally pulled the trigger on one.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Casio F-91W. The Casio F108WH is no slouch either.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
...what would it be? I thought this might be fun given there are a bunch of people here who really love watches. I had a friend/neighbor pose this exact question to me that got me thinking about it. The only limit on your recommendation is the watch must fall between $50-$60.

After rolling this over in my head, this is my pick. Casio Duro - On Amazon right now for $57. (Regular Black face is only $45, but I think the blue face is cool.)

That is exactly what I was going to say for a watch for $50!!!! Where did you find a blue face? I have a black face/bezel one I wear to work. They are a decent watch.

Posts: 4028 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where did you find a blue face?

Second to last sentence in the text you quoted says he found it on Amazon. Amazon has it for $48 at the moment.

Posts: 10826 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 362 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of quartz Orient Flight watches in the OP's price range that I really like. They're light, thin, and keep good time. They're $59.99 at Jomashop right now, and I'm pretty sure back when I bought mine, they were around the same price.

https://www.jomashop.com/orient-watch-fung2004f.html
https://www.jomashop.com/orient-watch-fung2005d.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bobandmikako,

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Where did you find a blue face?

Second to last sentence in the text you quoted says he found it on Amazon. Amazon has it for $48 at the moment.

Yep. You’re right. Should have read it better. I was so mesmerized by the stunning blue dial.

Posts: 4028 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
If you want an analog, the Duro as mentioned above is a solid choice.

If you need more functionality, particularly alarms, Digi is the way to go.

I've been using a Casio WS210 for a couple years, good watch...easy to read, tough solar, the usual multi-functions, tide/moon phase, medium size, not too flashy, ~$30.

https://www.casio.com/products...es/sports/ws210h-1av

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
I'm really rough on watches so I've been wearing these for years. Usually less than $40.

This and a G-Shock are my so called work watches.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
I'm really rough on watches so I've been wearing these for years. Usually less than $40.

This and a G-Shock are my so called work watches.

Yep, I've got two Timex Expeditions for "beaters." One analog and one digital. For under $50, I think it's hard to go wrong with a Casio or a Timex.

Thanks for the bump and the heads up last night, Tailhook 84. For that price, I went ahead and snagged a blue Duro. Should have it Wednesday. Smile

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Casio I'm wearing now is a bit more expensive, but I only use digital watches, and have bought most of mine over the years at Walmart and such places. Most of them have been about thirty bucks. Timex expeditions, casios, mostly. Atomic time keeping and world time zones make it easy to swap times, dual time features are nice for keeping zulu and local on the watch, and they look just fine.

A watch isn't a fashion statement to me; just something to keep time. A working tool. It doesn't need to cost more than thirty or forty bucks to do that accurately.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
The blue Casio Duro is on sale on Amazon again. $51 for anyone who missed the deal a few days ago.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw this on FB today. If you like BIG watches it looks like a nice deal. God Bless !!! Smile

https://www.tymepros.com/produ...LpJcpM5inIgEq6rZTSiM

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3057 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Hey everyone,

This was a great thread. I'm looking for a new everyday watch myself, and my criteria is similar to this thread. I'm a novice at watches. I've only owned one Bulova for over 20 years. Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd restart this one. Here's what I'm looking for:

military/field watch style
black face w/ white letters
basic look and function but could have a little pizzazz
Less than 40mm case diameter
Battery powered
stainless steel
looks good with a replacement NATO strap
Budget around $50-$60 but can go as high as $100

If you have any recommendations, feel free to post them. Have a happy Thanksgiving!

Chris

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Chris: you've got email coming.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Chris, take a look at Timex Expedition models. I think there’s a number of them that meet your criteria. I have one that it took me close to ten years to kill the Indiglo on but the watch still runs fine. I’m actually thinking about snagging another one for work.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
At $50, I would go digital or quartz perhaps). Some sort of G-Shock of your choice. Wouldn't bet on a long and reliable life expectancy from anything mechanical in that price range. Not saying it's tremendously likely to have problems, but I'd put my $50 into digital if I had to get a watch at that number.

Posts: 11356 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:
I have a couple of quartz Orient Flight watches in the OP's price range that I really like. They're light, thin, and keep good time. They're $59.99 at Jomashop right now, and I'm pretty sure back when I bought mine, they were around the same price.

https://www.jomashop.com/orient-watch-fung2004f.html
https://www.jomashop.com/orient-watch-fung2005d.html

The strap is more than that! Smile

Posts: 11356 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post