SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    $420 for a brake job?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$420 for a brake job? Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
How did you compress the springs ? I want to change mine.

They come as a pre-assembled strut, springs and all. Stupid easy to change out.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
And that's only for the rear brakes. Pads and rotors. Is that really the going rate?

I had brought my '96 Isuzu Rodeo in for its yearly inspection so I could renew the registration and was told the rear brakes failed. They then quoted me the above figure and said if that's good with me, I'd be out the door in no time. I told them no thanks, and I'll be by to pick up my rodeo and be back on Monday to complete the inspection.

I headed down to AutoZone and bought all the parts I needed for one hundred bucks. Since the Rodeo is not my primary vehicle and now only gets driven about 5,000 miles per year (actually last year it probably had less than 1,000 miles on it), I bought the cheapest pads and rotors they had. Took me about an hour to change both rear pads and rotors. I'll be heading back to the shop tomorrow​ to finish the inspection.

So, is that really what people are paying to have their brakes done? Christ Almighty!

The pads really were shot by the way. It was time for a change for sure. This is a shop I trust and don't mind giving business to, but $420 to do just the rear brakes? Sorry. No way.

My battery as it were was also shot but under warranty. The battery would be free, but it would be $27 to install it. 27 dollars!?!? I told them not to install it. I would do it when I arrive. So that's what I did. When I got there, I grabbed the crescent wrench out of the glove compartment, pulled the battery, and exchanged it. 10 minutes and done. If they said $10, I would've just let them handle it, but $27 to change out a battery? Ridiculous.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but if people are really paying that much for a brake job, they're getting hosed big time.

I was quoted $500+ for Sienna. I went to NAPA today and bought pads and rotators for $140.00. I’ll be doing the job tomorrow afternoon. I was appalled at the cost as well. The hardest part is putting the vehicle on a lift and getting the tires off. Timewise, I imagine a shop would need less than a hour for my two front disks. The hourly rate is more than I charged as an attorney when in private practice.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I am sure someone will be along to ask if they were OEM parts and quote the operating cost of a brick and mortar location. If you have the time and are handy you can save serious money. No question.

I have the quote in hand. I don't know what particular parts they wanted to install were, but the pads they listed were three times as much ($60) as the ones I bought, and the rotors were twice as much ($65) as the ones I bought. ETA: that's for each rotor.

Those prices are in line IF they're using premium brake parts like Wagner Gold. Most good shops will only use premium brake parts because the last thing they want to do is a free brake job because it's squeeling etc.

I had Ford do the rear brakes on my 2008 expedition recently. They charged $199 for pads, turning the rotors and labor. I was fine with that.

Hmmm, why do I have the feeling of déjà vu?

~psst~ Page 2...

LOLOLOLOL I just realized..... but the post on page 2 was almost exactly a year ago. April 16,2017....woops.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Some people have more money than time, and/or are willing to pay for convenience.

I do not have the tools or workspace to do a brake job, though I could probably figure out how to do it pretty quickly if I had those available to me.

Fortunately, I never needed to do the brakes on my old car - they lasted over 100k miles and still had about 5mm left. Cool

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
You know, I live in a pretty affluent area. I'm sure 95% of the people around here just say, "heck yeah, do it."

And yeah, I know they need to make a living and all, but $27 to swap out a battery?

Hell I need to move to your area and be a full-time battery replacement guy. I could replace just 2 an hour and make $54/hour. Big Grin Put in 40 hours a week and that's $2,160/week or $112,320/year. Big Grin

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
If you think $420 per axle is high, don't buy a land rover or anything exotic.

I once got a price in Glen Cove NY at the LR dealer there of around $1k per axle for just brakes... (And that's why most who don't mind getting their hands dirty do their own work).

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
Go to Rock Auto . com and order the rotor & brake pad kit from them, then either do it yourself or find a mechanic who does side work. You will get it done a lot cheaper.
https://www.rockauto.com

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post