SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    $420 for a brake job?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$420 for a brake job? Login/Join 
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Complete rip off. If rusted out drums, maybe $200 for labor. Disc brakes should be no more than $75-100 labor because you can do them in probably 1/2 an hour. Especially, when you have a lift. I can jack up the cars and do the rears within an hour in a cramped garage.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7081 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
That's why I always do my own. I think it was a thread Marzy did maybe 8+ years ago about a brake job. Inspired me to do my first one.

For less than $400 you can do new rotors, and pads all the way around.

Brakes aren't hard. It is dirty. They absolutely rob you on the labor.
Bingo!

Posts: 17917 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
The Inspection Stations are the biggest destroyer of rotors in VA. They over tighten the lug nuts which warps the rotors. Mad So always make sure the lug nuts are not over tightened.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is probably right about the going rate. Maybe a shade high if you shop around. Which was the question he actually asked.

And yes, you can do it cheaper yourself.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I am sure someone will be along to ask if they were OEM parts and quote the operating cost of a brick and mortar location. If you have the time and are handy you can save serious money. No question.

Posts: 27991 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
The Inspection Stations are the biggest destroyer of rotors in VA. They over tighten the lug nuts which warps the rotors. Mad So always make sure the lug nuts are not over tightened.

Don't get me started on that. I actually had to buy a breaker bar and a length of 18" black pipe to use as a cheater in order to loosen up my lug nuts. I was afraid I'd end up snapping one. Darn shop gorillas...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30427 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
It is probably right about the going rate. Maybe a shade high if you shop around. Which was the question he actually asked.

And yes, you can do it cheaper yourself.

It's been over ten years since I've had a brake job quoted to me, and I just don't remember having the same reaction then as I did now. It was for the same vehicle but for all four brakes which I also did myself. But come to think of it, I don't think that included rotors that time. I certainly didn't change the rotors last time.

So considering all that, I can see that this may be a reasonable going rate. Nevertheless, brakes are always something I will do myself.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30427 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got a LR4 2013. Dealer wanted over 700 for rear brakes, pads and rotors. Did all 4 pads at 35k miles for 185.00. Ebc 6000 green pads are not cheap. They wanted over 2k for front and back. Next time I will do front and back complete for 700.00

Posts: 1746 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
You would really need to price what they are putting on to see if that's a rip off or not. Pads and rotors by themselves run me close to $1000 for my car without labor, but my jeep gets the cheapest stuff I can find and I can usually do the whole thing for around $100.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3519 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I replaced front and rear rotors and pads on my Porsche Boxster in one weekend for less than $800 and saved myself a thousand.....

tac

Posts: 11334 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
I replaced front and rear rotors and pads on my Porsche Boxster in one weekend for less than $800 and saved myself a thousand.....

tac

Now you're talking real money.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
I guess these guys gotta make a living too. There are plenty of people who can't or won't do the work themselves.

How many people pay $35 for a dealership to change a $8 cabin air filter? Lots.

You know, I live in a pretty affluent area. I'm sure 95% of the people around here just say, "heck yeah, do it."

And yeah, I know they need to make a living and all, but $27 to swap out a battery?

Well yeah, that's like a 15-20 minute labor rate charge when all in all it takes up 30 minutes of labor when you figure in the phone calls, paperwork, etc. They have to order the battery, deal with the core, the paperwork, drive the car in and out of the bay, take out the right tools, take out the old one, clean the cables and possibly battery tray, and install the new one, and they're heavy.

The problem is ALL of the expenses of running an auto repair business have skyrocketed in the last 10 years. Labor rates have skyrocketed.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rizzle:
If the $27.00 included testing it, it would be considered a fair price around here.

The AutoZones here (and most of their competition) will test and install for free. Matter of fact, last time I had mine tested, the guy surprised the heck out of me by telling me I didn't need a new battery!

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
A "brake job" is a vague term for what is being quoted here. plus there is something called overhead and profit.
I can change a part on a Sig for the price of the part plus shipping. That might be under $10.
Sending the gun to a shop that works on Sig's will usually cost a bit more. Same reason.

Posts: 9538 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
Most shops around here (mine included) are 99-125$ labor + parts. We wont use the cheap pads because we don't want complaints of noisy brakes, especially when its humid out cheap pads will squeak. We sell the pads and rotors to the customer at the parts store list price, which means we make a few bucks on the parts, since the parts stores give us a small discount. Cheap pads won't last as long as the more expensive pads either, those Auto zone 12.95$ pads might get 15-20k miles, the more expensive pads under same conditions will go 3 times as far.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
An automobile or truck shop cannot open their door without incurring a sizable daily debt. They have to charge a lot to just stay in business. I know because I have worked at 4 dealerships. Most were honest, some not so much. If you can do your own work you are very lucky. Most people can't. Prices for parts have gone up over the last several years. So has the cost of labor. This is why so many cars are now "throwaways", it's called marketing.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I’m being quoted $450 for both axles on my truck for new pads, flush and resurface rotors at the dealer.

At the tire shop, it’s $1000 for new rotor, rebuilt calipers, pads and flush. Rotors only if needed.

It’s a Tundra and they are subject to warped rotors but the tire shop does a good job not over torquing the lugs so I’ve had no issues.

Parts on line range from $200-300 per axle for all but fluid. Most are rebuilt calipers as well.

At worst case scenario, the tire shop seems like a fair deal depending on what brands they use, don’t know that yet. Saves me time and messing with the oversized tires. I also like the shop and they treat me well.

Still, I’m thinking about doing it myself. Just have to sit down and the computer and price stuff out.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8345 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I need to know. Has this thread been on your mind for the past year?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Me? No. I need brakes so I searched to see what I could find rather than start a new thread. I saw April but apparently not day or year. As it wasn’t locked I figured it was recent. Decent info anyway.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8345 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
If the book calls for 2.5 hours for the service and the shop has a typical rate of $120/hr then that's $300 just for labor.
Sounds about right to me.
I was a mechanic for a long time and most of the reason I changed careers is due to people always trying to take the value out of my education and experience in the field.
Pay to have it done right or put your money where your mouth is and mess it up yourself.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post