SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    $420 for a brake job?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$420 for a brake job? Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted
And that's only for the rear brakes. Pads and rotors. Is that really the going rate?

I had brought my '96 Isuzu Rodeo in for its yearly inspection so I could renew the registration and was told the rear brakes failed. They then quoted me the above figure and said if that's good with me, I'd be out the door in no time. I told them no thanks, and I'll be by to pick up my rodeo and be back on Monday to complete the inspection.

I headed down to AutoZone and bought all the parts I needed for one hundred bucks. Since the Rodeo is not my primary vehicle and now only gets driven about 5,000 miles per year (actually last year it probably had less than 1,000 miles on it), I bought the cheapest pads and rotors they had. Took me about an hour to change both rear pads and rotors. I'll be heading back to the shop tomorrow​ to finish the inspection.

So, is that really what people are paying to have their brakes done? Christ Almighty!

The pads really were shot by the way. It was time for a change for sure. This is a shop I trust and don't mind giving business to, but $420 to do just the rear brakes? Sorry. No way.

My battery as it were was also shot but under warranty. The battery would be free, but it would be $27 to install it. 27 dollars!?!? I told them not to install it. I would do it when I arrive. So that's what I did. When I got there, I grabbed the crescent wrench out of the glove compartment, pulled the battery, and exchanged it. 10 minutes and done. If they said $10, I would've just let them handle it, but $27 to change out a battery? Ridiculous.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but if people are really paying that much for a brake job, they're getting hosed big time.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
They quoted us $800 to do the rears on the work van.

It had a defective brake caliper from the factory (GM is trash) and ruined the rotor and pads.

It was less than $200 for me to make the repair in under an hour.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always that that labor was about twice the cost of parts +/-.

Our son has a F150 that the shop wanted about $1200 to do shocks and struts.

For about $500, we did shocks, struts, front and rear brakes and rotors.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
The biggest reason I do my own mechanic work. As much as I cuss while doing it, it's still better than paying shop charges.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sure someone will be along to ask if they were OEM parts and quote the operating cost of a brick and mortar location. If you have the time and are handy you can save serious money. No question.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
I just had the front and rear brakes done for my Acura MDX: calipers and pads, and resurfaced rotors. Les Schwab...$600'ish plus state sales tax.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That do seem excessive

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I am sure someone will be along to ask if they were OEM parts and quote the operating cost of a brick and mortar location. If you have the time and are handy you can save serious money. No question.

I have the quote in hand. I don't know what particular parts they wanted to install were, but the pads they listed were three times as much ($60) as the ones I bought, and the rotors were twice as much ($65) as the ones I bought. ETA: that's for each rotor.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I am having sticker shock, quoted $320 just for front pads and turn the rotors at the dodge dealership. Or Les Schwab will do it for $270. I am seriously thinking of doing it myself this time....

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
My cousin just had the rears done on his Cherokee and they charged him $1100. Whew! But that included rotors. Dayum.

That's why I do my own when possible.
I am doing a timing belt and water pump on my sons civic. The dealer quoted my $900. Last time I changed the timing belt and water pump on a civic (my daughters), it took $200 in parts. All the rest in labor. Every time I go to a dealer they try to bEnd me over. They Even make up non existent service issues. My local dealer wanted $1100 to replace a head gasket. I examined the car and found a leaky hose. Bastages!

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
That's a pretty decent price around here and the reason I always wind up doing them myself.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I think prices are up because fewer people these days are capable of and are willing to do repairs themselves. Also, fewer people are choosing this kind of work for a living as well. More demand and lower supply means higher prices.

I'm the only on in my immediate family capable of fixing things. I get the call when anyone needs something, but there's an even chance it comes with a short lecture about being helpless.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I guess these guys gotta make a living too. There are plenty of people who can't or won't do the work themselves.

How many people pay $35 for a dealership to change a $8 cabin air filter? Lots.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
We have motor vehicle inspections here in Louisiana yearly.
I would never take my vehicle to a mechanic shop to get a sticker. It's too easy for them to find a problem that they can fix for a price.
I go to a place that only does inspections if something is wrong they put a rejection sticker on good for 30 days and you go get it fixed and come back and get your sticker.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We have motor vehicle inspections here in Louisiana yearly.

I feel for you. The legislature eliminated the vehicle inspection here a couple of years ago.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
but the pads they listed were three times as much ($60) as the ones I bought, and the rotors were twice as much ($65)

No comment on the overall price issue. But I am good friends with a local mechanic and what he says to me is that if he buys the lowest cost pads and rotors the customer is always back with issues. So he won't do it. That's not to say you shouldn't, but I do understand why a shop might not.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Good for you!

I'm lucky. I have a regular mechanic, pretty reasonable. He once worked at a dealership, but uses the garage attached to his home. I don't give his name to too many people because he has all he can handle and it takes me several days to get an appointment.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
I guess these guys gotta make a living too. There are plenty of people who can't or won't do the work themselves.

How many people pay $35 for a dealership to change a $8 cabin air filter? Lots.

You know, I live in a pretty affluent area. I'm sure 95% of the people around here just say, "heck yeah, do it."

And yeah, I know they need to make a living and all, but $27 to swap out a battery?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
If the $27.00 included testing it, it would be considered a fair price around here.

Posts: 1293 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy the parts and take it to a mechanic that will install it for you. For my vehicle $50 pads front, $50 pads rear, Front Rotors each $120, Rear Rotors each $75. (2) hours labor at approx. $125 / hour. Total without tax $740. If I were to get it done at the stealership they have quoted me over $1000 and they will only resurface the rotors, whereas I am getting new ones. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post