SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Must be my turn for bird sightings
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Must be my turn for bird sightings Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Except in this case, it wasn't me, it was Mrs. PHPaul.

Any kitchen waste we can't compost or we feel is not suitable for the chickens (uncooked meat trimmings, skin, stuff like that) goes in a dish and gets set out on the front stoop for the seagulls, usually first thing in the morning.

It's not unusual to have a couple of gulls (we call them Gertrude and Heathcliff) perched on the peak of the roof waiting for breakfast. As soon as we step inside and close the door, they swoop in and chow down. Sometimes, if they're otherwise occupied, it might take anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours for them to show up. We'll check out the living room window occasionally as we enjoy watching them.

The Wife put the dish out this morning (I was off on business) and didn't get any immediate results so she went about her business. A while later, she checked again and there was an adult eagle helping itself. Less than 3 feet from the front door, maybe 8 or 10 from the window.

Says it gave her quite a start! Wish I could have gotten a picture.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Beautiful birds. What kind of eagle?

I remember when I lived in Alaska, and one weekend afternoon my cats started going nuts by the sliding glass door. There was a golden eagle in the tree about 20' from the sliding glass door.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Bald Eagle. Big sumbitch too according to SWMBO.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Wow! I thought I was lucky to have a hawk perched in a tree a few feet away watching while I was mowing and scaring up an occasional mouse for him. Then one morning I got to see a beautiful pair of hawks calling to each other then mating in the trees very near the house. As near as I can tell, no cigarettes were smoked afterward. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Son of a BITCH!

Apparently the snack on the front porch wasn't enough. I just spotted him sitting on a fence post chowing down on one of my laying hens.

And there ain't a fuckin' thing I can do about it other than keep the birds cooped up, which ain't an option.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
(we call them Gertrude and Heathcliff)

Now that's funny. We had two seagulls that lived on the ridge of our house in Warren, RI on Mt. Hope Bay, and they had the same names. Red Skelton would be proud.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Son of a BITCH!

Apparently the snack on the front porch wasn't enough. I just spotted him sitting on a fence post chowing down on one of my laying hens.

And there ain't a fuckin' thing I can do about it other than keep the birds cooped up, which ain't an option.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:
(we call them Gertrude and Heathcliff)

Now that's funny. We had two seagulls that lived on the ridge of our house in Warren, RI on Mt. Hope Bay, and they had the same names. Red Skelton would be proud.

I was curious how many old farts there were here that would pick up on that. Big Grin

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Son of a BITCH!

No good deed goes unpunished.

I've got two hens that can fly well enough to get over the fence and wander around loose. If I had to lose one, I hope it was one of them and he's not ballsy enough to land in the pen. The feathers are the right color.

If he's snatching them out of the pen, I am well and truly fucked.

posted Hide Post
Two years ago I was in my car on conference call in mall parking lot in Charleston, SC waiting on my wife to pick up a few things. Someone had thrown a McDonalds bag on the ground and evidently there were were some scraps as 3-4 sea gulls were feasting.

Out of the sky an eagle swooped down and stuck talons completely thru the body of one of the gulls. The gull flopped around for a minute or two and the eagle just held on. Several folks including myself got our phone and took pictures.

When the gull was dead the eagle took off with it. The gull was large and I was not sure the eagle could get air born but it did.

Amazing thing to see 30 feet away.

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.

Gene Hill

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post