SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Eric Clapton says he's going deaf
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eric Clapton says he's going deaf Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted
by VARIETY

LOS ANGELES — In a new interview with BBC Radio, Eric Clapton revealed he is going deaf.

On BBC Radio 2's "Steve Wright in the Afternoon," the musician said, "I'm still going to work, I'm doing a few gigs, I'm doing a show in Hyde Park in July. You know the only thing I'm concerned with now is being in my 70s and being able to be proficient."

Image: Eric Clapton
Eric Clapton attends a press conference for "Eric Clapton: Life in 12 Bars" at the Toronto International Film Festival on Sept. 11, 2017. Evan Agostini / Invision/AP file
"I mean, I'm going deaf, I've got Tinnitus, my hands just about work," Clapton, 72, continued. "I mean, I'm hoping that people will come along and see me just because, well maybe more than, I'm a curiosity, you know what I mean. I know that is part of it, because it's amazing to myself that I'm still here."

Clapton appeared on the show to talk about his new documentary, "Eric Clapton: Life in 12 Bars," which follows his life through narration by icons like BB King, Jimi Hendrix, and George Harrison. He said that the film was difficult for him to watch because "it goes on so long about the difficult part of my life."

Eric, you probably went deaf when you were playing with Cream.

Its just gotten worse.

However, my sympathy for you on the tinnitus part, I have it also.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I heard the little news blurb on the radio the other day he had tinnitus. First thing I thought was join the club brother. The first doctor that comes up with a cure is going to be one rich dude. Seems like about half the people here suffer from it.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
With the stuff he's been exposed to for so long I don't see how he wouldn't have it. I have it pretty bad along with my bilateral hearing loss.

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Basically every professional musician I know has hearing damage

Probably the worst is a neighbor who was Pete Fountain’s band leader for many years. Bert played Dixieland jazz for over 50 yrs. he can hardly hear himself think currently

I thank my father (an acoustical engineer) for instilling quality over quantity on me at a very young age. At 52 I can hear a floresant tube lights transformer buzz still

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I heard the little news blurb on the radio the other day he had tinnitus. First thing I thought was join the club brother. The first doctor that comes up with a cure is going to be one rich dude. Seems like about half the people here suffer from it.

Yup, count me in that group.
Worst is when it is relatively quiet otherwise I don't notice it with other ambient noise around. Frown

Posts: 22860 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
Basically every professional musician I know has hearing damage

Probably the worst is a neighbor who was Pete Fountain’s band leader for many years. Bert played Dixieland jazz for over 50 yrs. he can hardly hear himself think currently

I thank my father (an acoustical engineer) for instilling quality over quantity on me at a very young age. At 52 I can hear a floresant tube lights transformer buzz still

Can you begin to imagine the sounds that went through your neighbor’s ears? He must have gotten pretty good use from those ears.

Dixieland is not usually particularly loud compared to Clapton’s music.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pete Townshend has it bad, as does Alex Van Halen, and many others. Eddie Van Halen has said Alex's drum monitors were so loud they threw off your equilibrium.

Sad that people who's life's work is created music via sound, destroy their hearing in the process.

Eric said it was the Marshall stacks in Cream that made him deaf in one ear. He advised, use a 1/2 stack straight cab and let it blast your legs. The top angled cap is the ear killer.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Deafness didn't hinder Beethoven.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8857 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I attended a Clapton concert in the 1990s. I've been to my share of rock concerts, but damn, this thing was incredibly loud- so loud that the evening was nothing more than an endurance test.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
"What?"

Not surprising that hearing loss is common for individuals in the music / concert industry.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am quite deef. Started with jet noise in the USAF.
Given the repeated exposures at high sound levels, I am surprised Clapton isn't totally deaf.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Deafness didn't hinder Beethoven.

It did, actually. Beethoven was a pianist and conductor. His deafness started in his 20’s. He became totally deaf eventually. He ceased performing and conducting the last 15 years of his life. Most of his composing was done during his deafness.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Yup, the ringing in my ears is most annoying. I guess playing guitar and shooting guns are not conducive to good hearing.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post