SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "Happy Holidays"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Happy Holidays" Login/Join 
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted
I was at the feed store earlier this week when an old friend approached. We don't see each other very often, but years ago spent many hours together working cattle. We shook hands and were glad to see each other, I had heard he had passed on a few years ago so this was a good time. We visited about ranch stuff and old friends, then headed our separate ways. I wished him a Merry Christmas and he responded with "Happy Holidays"!

I asked him if he had been watching TV again and our old liberal - conservative debate that we used to practice years ago came to life! Folks started moving in to listen and encouraged the volume and preposterous nature of our discussion.

The owner of the store walked over and asked us if we were serious, we laughed shook hand and moved on.

We can have fun with this stuff.

Posts: 2400 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I say "Merry Christmas" to people, and when people say "Happy Holidays" to me, they get "Merry Christmas" in return.

I understand why some people- who have no problem with Christmas or Christianity- say "Happy Holidays". Their intentions are pure, but I want to do my part in getting us out of this habit.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I too say Merry Christmas.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
I was at the dentist yesterday. On my way out the girls in the reception area said "Happy Holidays!"

I turned around and said "Merry Christmas to you!"

With an almost relieved look they both said "Merry Christmas!"

I have heard that many places are telling their people to say "Happy Holidays" but if a customer says "Merry Christmas" then they are OK to respond in kind.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Around here it is Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year! Of the people are further apart in distance than many places!

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I now say Merry Christmas. But before all this stupid horseshit I always said Happy Holidays and it was just a way to say Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in a shorter way.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I've always said "Merry Christmas" and I'm Jewish.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Right. It's Merry Christmas, not happy holidays.

And it's You're Welcome, not no problem.

Thank you very much.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
No Worries! Wink

quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

Thank you very much.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmahanukwanzakah!

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
No Worries! Wink

quote:

Thank you very much.

As some Australian friends are wont to say, “No wucks”. This is short for “No wuckin’ furries!”

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I need to get a Festivus Pole.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first "Merry Christmas" of the season I heard today while in the doctor's office waiting area. A patient came in, wearing a red Salvation Army t-shirt (he may have been a kettle volunteer, or someone they've helped) said it as he entered the place! He got several in return. Did my heart good.

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
To be honest I usually say... "Happy merry and all that bullshit."

quote:

You're assuming you're welcome.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Bah humbug.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
My standard seasonal greeting has become..."festive holiday greetings".

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4583 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been delighting my office staff by signing cards, “Happy whatever doesn’t offend you...”

Posts: 324 | Location: Columbus OH | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I say "Merry Christmas" to people, and when people say "Happy Holidays" to me, they get "Merry Christmas" in return.

I understand why some people- who have no problem with Christmas or Christianity- say "Happy Holidays". Their intentions are pure, but I want to do my part in getting us out of this habit.

I proceed likewise, Sir. By the by, in a recent team meeting in one of the many, many offices in which the uber-PC Government of Canada functions, yours truly heard that “the ‘Year-End’ festivities would take place on day such and such”. I then objected that such “festivities” should be properly labelled as “Christmas”. My TL objected, as it was not inclusive of all faiths - at which point I retorted that, at the GoC, we *do* celebrate Diwali and Eid, so it’d be fair to name Christians’ main holiday its due name.

A silence descended on the room. It was only broken by said TL moving on the meeting’s agenda (“so... to move on, we’d like to reiterate that this is a scent-sensitive office, and the use of strong parfumerie is discouraged...”).

Oh, Canada.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
When someone wishes me "Happy Holidays" I always ask them "Which holidays are you specifically referring to?" with a quizzical look on my face. For many, it puts them on the spot and they really don't know what to say. Others bravely say "Christmas!" to which I return that greeting with "Merry Christmas!" and a smile.

But I'm an azzhole like that.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2540 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post