SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "Happy Holidays"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Happy Holidays" Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailhook 84:
When someone wishes me "Happy Holidays" I always ask them "Which holidays are you specifically referring to?" with a quizzical look on my face. For many, it puts them on the spot and they really don't know what to say. Others bravely say "Christmas!" to which I return that greeting with "Merry Christmas!" and a smile.
Many of those people are saying "Happy Holidays" when they actually want to say "Merry Christmas". They're trying to not offend others, but are not actually PC themselves. Something to keep in mind, maybe.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
When somebody says “Happy Holidays” to me, I reply in my most non emotional monotone voice, “May your travels be free of incident and live long and prosper.”

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The fact that someone even mentions the holidays is a positive sign.

Again, some (most?) of these people are simply trying to not offend. If they don't know you, then they don't know you, do they? Therefore, they are proceeding cautiously. No need to be a dick about it.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
It's not all about being PC, either. I say it some of the time because there are several holidays coming up including New Years.

If I'm not likely see someone again before New Years, I'll usually tell them to "Have a great holiday season and I'll see you next year." It has nothing to do with avoiding offending them.

If someone offers you a cheerful "Happy Holidays", accept it graciously and reply with whatever you prefer.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
Merry Christmas!!!

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3811 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Patent Pending
Picture of Tonyny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Right. It's Merry Christmas, not happy holidays.

And it's You're Welcome, not no problem.

Thank you very much.

Bingo!

NRA Life Member

Capital punishment means never having to say, "You again?"

Posts: 4135 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
^^^^Good to see you back, TonyNY!

quote:
Originally posted by Parabellum:

Many of those people are saying "Happy Holidays" when they actually want to say "Merry Christmas". They're trying to not offend others, but are not actually PC themselves. Something to keep in mind, maybe.

This, in spades.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had heard he had passed on a few years ago so this was a good time.

Every day is a good day to be alive!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Bah humbug.

^^^ This. Possibly a "ok, thanks".

Edited for doing basically the same thing I hate being done to me.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I prefer the good old:

"Merry Christmas. Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, kiss my ass. Kiss his ass. Kiss your ass. Happy Hanukkah."

Big Grin

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I now say Merry Christmas. But before all this stupid horseshit I always said Happy Holidays and it was just a way to say Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in a shorter way.

Me too, I see nothing wrong with Happy Holidays to cover both among friends who know where you are coming from.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post