SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone else like Red Wing boots?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else like Red Wing boots? Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
I bought a pair of steel toe, water proof and electrical hazard boots last year. Loved them. Heavy but definitely stood up to work conditions.

Bought these last year:

Supersole

Bought another pair today as my new work will reimburse for up to $150 annually for boots.

BRNR

I'm normally not a boot fan but their boots are very comfortable. They're assembled in the US with imported materials. Not cheap but good work boots are definitely worth it, IMO. Especially if you're on your feet for 9 hour a day in construction like I am.

Posts: 13044 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I wore Redwing boots when I worked in the lumber re-saw mill (we did fingerjoint and lamination).

I loved mine. Like you say they are heavy.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of Irish Setter hunting boots last year. They are owned by Red Wing. I am happy so far.

Posts: 5609 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I used to love Red Wing boots till I discovered Danner boots around 15 years ago and I never looked back.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I like Red Wings because they offer durable, well made and lasting boots, shoes in narrow widths, which is what I need. And they also have non-cleated shoes, boots to avoid tracking in mud, grit.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been wearing them for the last 18 years. Only on my third pair.

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve used RW for 20 years with good luck. My current pair were $220. Solid and comfortable.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Since 1990. I'm on my 6th and 7th pair or so, and have resoled one pair once. Fairly early I went with two pairs and wore them in rotation.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KDR:

Did you ever resole them?

quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Since 1990. I'm on my 6th and 7th pair or so, and have resoled one pair once. Fairly early I went with two pairs and wore them in rotation.

The young lady at the store said it costs about $110 and they send them out from their store. Takes about 6 weeks.

Posts: 13044 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big fan of Red Wing boots.

Back in the day when I was a welder/equipment fabricator I would burn through the other brands (Carolina, Timberland, etc.) in less than a year.

I noticed some of the other guys spending a little more for the Red Wings so I tried them for myself.

Lasted 2 to 3 times as long and were way more comfortable.

They take a little more time to break in but I wouldn't buy any other brand after having them.

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I wear mine while on my motorcycle. If I ever bite it hard and they have to recover my remains, my feet will be ok.

Back in the day when I did landscape/mowing jobs, they needed constant coats of waterproofing but even when I didn't, they still lasted the year, compared to cheaper alternatives that lasted only a few months to our morning dew conditions.

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
It's the only brand of work boots I bought for 30 years, definitely "good to go" in my opinion.

Posts: 13666 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Only get RWs for all my work boots. And just got a pair of Iron Ranger boots for casual times....

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4559 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I have had a pair of 606's for somewhere around 10 years now. They're quite comfortable and durable.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
When i retired from the Navy and started working in manufacturing I bought a pair of Red Wings and they were unwearable. I even tried the insoles and could not wear them for more then 4 hours before my knee started to hurt.

I finally found timberland boots and have been good to go ever since.

The Red Wings were built rock solid.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3838 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by KDR:

Did you ever resole them?

quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:

The young lady at the store said it costs about $110 and they send them out from their store. Takes about 6 weeks.

I have not resoled them. I have my last pair sitting in the closet with plans to do so eventually, but my company pays for the boots, so I don't really have any reason to resole them anytime soon

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
I wear mine while on my motorcycle. If I ever bite it hard and they have to recover my remains, my feet will be ok.

Back in the day when I did landscape/mowing jobs, they needed constant coats of waterproofing but even when I didn't, they still lasted the year, compared to cheaper alternatives that lasted only a few months to our morning dew conditions.

Really serious motorcycle boots are like armor for your feet. Most heavy duty looking work or engineer type boots don't protect at all compared to them. Feet often get damaged in motorcycle accidents.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Most of their boots are not made in the USA anymore. There's a handful of models that are and their msrp is usually over $200 to get a US made pair.

I buy the USA made steel toes and they serve me well. I'm about to order another pair I the next few weeks.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I prefer Thorogood to Red Wing. Most of their boots are made in USA and they hold up almost as well, don’t take as long to break-in and aren’t as expensive as the US made Red Wings.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Been wearing mine for years, love them. I wear composite toe, made in USA. Used to like Wolverine boots but they moved to all being made in China. Some Red Wings are not US made, may want to look at the model first.

But I love mine

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post