SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple TV & Sling TV
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple TV & Sling TV Login/Join 
posted
Ready to pull the plug on ConCast and looking for alternative television options.

Any recent experiences with Apple TV, Sling TV or Amazon Firestick?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
I have the FS and very happy with the content, I haven't run out of something to watch. Apple is ho hum for me anyway. Consider getting an antenna so you get local stations over the air, the quality is great and it costs nothing.

I tried Sling but they have commercials and no way to fast forward, a few shows that I liked weren't there as well.

Good luck

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of np149
posted Hide Post
I cut Comcast over a year ago. I'm running Apple TV with Sling. I like it well enough that I don't feel the need to go back. It can be a little spotty at times. Sometimes it hangs up, but that might be my older router.

I also subscribe to Netflix and Starz. Not missing the high cable bills for sure.

Posts: 236 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I use sling on Amazon fire all the time. No complaints. It's a tad slow on startup on a Fire Stick but fine once it loads. Moves quicker on the FireTV.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
We have 1 stick and 2 Fire TV's. Love them.

Love the $150 per month we are saving as well...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a roku and ditched comcast and have the SONY vue tv......streaming TV, over half the price of comcast. ALL of the channels you had on comcast you have with Sony Vue, all HD, free dvr service and can watch on up to 5 devices and it's the same price....... Sling doesn't have discovery or NAT GEO so it was a non starter for me. The price for the level of service you get IS the price they charge your credit card, no BS taxes nor this fee or that fee like Comcast charged.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I use a Roku and subscribe to Amazon Prime and Netflix. I tried Sling TV but it just didn't have enough content of interest to me to justify the $20/mo cost, so I dropped it. I did restart it just for the duration of football season last year to get ESPN, and I'll likely do the same again this year. Otherwise, no.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I was told you can not mirror comcast on apple tv only roku has an xfinity app that allows that (The app is currently free)
But you CAN stream if you have a Mac with a lightening plug and an Apple USB-C to Digital AV adaptor works perfect.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Prepay 3 Months of SlingTV and get a free
Roku Express or an Ultra for $50
https://www.sling.com/devices/offers

I have a FireTv, Fire Stick, and 2 Rokus.

The FireTV is best for me as we do lots of Amazon stuff.
Kind of pissed YouTube app was pulled from the Amazon devices but with the Firefox app you can still pull up YouTube.

The Firestick gets slow and laggy.

Rokus are great as well so the $50 Roku Ultra is what I would do.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I used SlingTV for over a year. It was decent, for the price. I recently switched to DirectTV Now because it has a few more channels that I wanted. Both have had their ups and downs performance wise. For about a week DirectTV Now was quite bad, with lots of buffering and failure to load my Favorites. It's improved the last several days, but it's not nearly as flawless as cable or satellite. Still, worth the savings, IMO.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerBook
posted Hide Post
We have 4 Apple TV's and LOVE them.

We cut the cord years ago and don't miss the expense of TV.

Posts: 1776 | Location: Ashburn, VA USA | Registered: June 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I have a Roku with Sony Vue. The interface is horrible compared to what it was a few months ago, but I like the channels. Sling TV is alright, but when I've had both I watch the Vue more. Honestly, if you have a Roku there are a lot of free streaming channels including a Roku movie channel.

Buy a Roku and an HD antenna and you will be set.

PS I really like the CBS on demand. There is a free trial and when you cancel they offer you a deal. You can watch shows live or on demand a day later. They also have a lot of old shows like Taxi and JAG.
http://www.cbs.com/shows/

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Apple TV now streams Amazon Prime Video, just fyi. I'm currently watching three television series on it now.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
I have one apple tv and two fire sticks. I use Direct TV now as my primary channel line up. The Apple TV is rock solid but the touch pad on the remote is a bit wonky. It is real sensitive. The fire sticks definitely have inferior wireless tech. I have issues with the wireless connection to the fire sticks ever though they say excellent connections and status. Overall I am glad I cut the cord, have every thing I want and save over $120 per month. Direct TV now is coming out with a DVR setup, I got on the "tester" list and I am beta testing it now

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1736 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
One other observation I have made that cord cutters may find very useful, I will use the OP as an example. Let say that the OP has Comcast full service (cable TV, phone, internet) and then cancels all but just the internet service and installs an Apple TV. Op also has a login to his Comcast account which is now internet only, all other services canceled.

OP wants to watch Travel channel but it is not offered on his Sling TV subscription. OP down loads the Travel channel app on to his Apple TV. When OP opens the APP to watch live Travel channel TV the app will prompt him to login to his cable provider to prove he has a subscription. Once OP logs into his Comcast account successfully the travel channel app is opened. The login process does not check to see what OP subscribes to with Comcast only that the login was successful. This process is true for all the other apps that I have down loaded. Some day the cable companies will catch on.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1736 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of np149
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrw:
One other observation I have made that cord cutters may find very useful, I will use the OP as an example. Let say that the OP has Comcast full service (cable TV, phone, internet) and then cancels all but just the internet service and installs an Apple TV. Op also has a login to his Comcast account which is now internet only, all other services canceled.

OP wants to watch Travel channel but it is not offered on his Sling TV subscription. OP down loads the Travel channel app on to his Apple TV. When OP opens the APP to watch live Travel channel TV the app will prompt him to login to his cable provider to prove he has a subscription. Once OP logs into his Comcast account successfully the travel channel app is opened. The login process does not check to see what OP subscribes to with Comcast only that the login was successful. This process is true for all the other apps that I have down loaded. Some day the cable companies will catch on.

Looks like they caught on here. Frown

I just tried your trick and the reply was that I don’t have the proper TV service and that I need to upgrade to sign in. Oh well...

Still enjoy my Sling and Apple TV combo. Now with Movies Anywhere, iTunes, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Vudu, Fx, and Showtime, we are never hurting for content. The only complaint I have is geographically I’m in a bad location for a digital OTA antenna, so no free local TV for me.

Posts: 236 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
If one is wanting a DVR option for OTA shows XBOX ONE is an option.

There is also this that says you can stream OTA to devices and has DVR capabilities with no monthly fee. I have not used it.
WatchAir it was $58 a couple weeks ago and I should have snagged one. Still at $69 if it works it is a deal
WatchAir, Smart Antenna for A Wireless You, Local Live TV Streaming and Recording, No Wire to TV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L...cp_api_rEIwAb2AHDZZW

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
We have used Roku with NetFlix, Prime, and Plex for years.

We are too far away from any towers for OTA to work, it was fine with analog but we are passed the "digital cliff".

Recently added DirecTV Now to watch stuff live, it does fine.
No locals in our area yet, thier DVR is in limited beta.

Posts: 858 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
Love my Fire TV. Does a great job streaming on the marginal 2.5Mbps internet speed we get here.services, too. For example, BritBox which has a lot of content from the BBC and UK independent channels.

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post