SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My nephew was drafted by the Atlanta Braves
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My nephew was drafted by the Atlanta Braves Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
For those of you in Danville Big Grin :
Bruce is making the start in Monday's series finale...
Monday night at 7:00.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24050 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great!

Hope it works out for him. I had nephew who was a pretty good pitcher. Injury stopped his advancement and ended his baseball.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, chellim! That's great news and I wish him well.

I heard recently that my second cousin's son, Hunter Martin from UT-Knoxville, was a 20th round pick by the Houston Astros. Hunter is a righthanded pitcher and saw steady improvement over his four years in Knoxville. He signed and has been assigned to the Tri-City ValleyCats team in Troy, NY.

http://www.milb.com/player/ind.../R/pitching/2017/ALL

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2102 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Bruce hasn't been allowed to pitch more than 2 innings at a time. This is due to the length of the college season and then transitioning. (that sounds like it belongs in a different thread Roll Eyes)

Tonight he started and pitched the first 2 innings. 24 pitches, no hits, no walks, 2 strikeouts, 1 hit batter.

Danville 3, Bristol 0

Oh, and he combined with 2 others for the first no-hitter since 2009 (also a combo).

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24050 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Congrats. I hope he has a good year.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Great to hear. Glad he is doing well.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Outstanding, fifth round means they project him to play in the bigs!

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Very cool! If he gets bumped up to the Rome Braves (single A) I will make sure to go see him play. I like to go to their games and do so every year.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Very cool! If he gets bumped up to the Rome Braves (single A) I will make sure to go see him play. I like to go to their games and do so every year.

Probably at some point...
The Atlanta Braves and St. Louis Cardinals are pretty good at developing pitchers.

Here's the write-up from last night:

Danville trio combines on seven-inning no-no
Zimmermann, Belinda, Curtis achieve club's first feat since '09

Bruce Zimmermann has allowed four earned runs through the first 12 innings of his Minor League career. (Danville Braves)

By Chris Tripodi / MiLB.com | August 8, 2017

Almost eight years to the day of their last no-hitter, the Rookie-level Danville Braves repeated the feat.

Bruce Zimmermann and relievers Jacob Belinda and John Curtis combined to hold Bristol hitless over seven innings in the first game of Tuesday's doubleheader in Danville's 5-0 victory at Boyce Cox Field. The no-no was the team's first since Aug. 11, 2009, when Cory Rasmus finished a doubleheader with a seven-inning gem.

Gameday box score

Zimmermann, Atlanta's fifth-round pick in this year's Draft, struck out two and walked one over the first two innings. Belinda (4-0) struck out four in four perfect innings, and Curtis closed out the game with a perfect seventh, striking out Ben Bengtson and Huascar Fuentes on four pitches apiece to etch the trio's names in the Appalachian League history book.

Braves No. 20 prospect Drew Waters went 2-for-4 with a double and an RBI to pace the offense, while Jeffrey Ramos and Riley Delgado added two knocks for Danville.

https://www.milb.com/milb/news...o-hitter/c-247203034

-rduckwor

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
The minor league season starts April 5.
It's looking like Bruce will probably pitch in Rome, GA (between Chattanooga and Atlanta) the weekend of April 7-8. Not sure yet.

-rduckwor

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M-11:
Today, the Danville Braves, tomorrow the STL Cardinals!

Da Burdz!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Please forgive me if all the good lines from Bull Durham just ran through my mind.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4786 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Cool. Not many get that far. He must have some talent.

Do you get free beer, dogs and nachos at the stadium?

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you get free beer, dogs and nachos at the stadium?

LOL
Uh, no... but they are cheaper at minor league stadiums!

-rduckwor

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
"You throw the ball...you catch the ball...you hit the ball. Sometimes you win...sometimes you lose...sometimes it rains".

Best of luck to your nephew...what an accomplishment!!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
The minor league season starts April 5.
It's looking like Bruce will probably pitch in Rome, GA (between Chattanooga and Atlanta) the weekend of April 7-8. Not sure yet.

Cool! I’m going to try to catch a game.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I hope to see him in the show sometime.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your nephew. Look forward to seeing him in the majors.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1929 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post

Bruce pitched yesterday... and got the win over Hagerstown!

Sat, Apr 7 @ State Mutual Stadium Final
Win: Zimmermann
Loss: Tetreault
http://www.milb.com/milb/stats...x_1&t=g_box&sid=t429

-rduckwor

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Turns out I just got to my overnight in Jackson, MS right across from Trustmark Park, home of the Mississippi Braves. Hope to see him pitch there some day!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post