SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got some bad news today from my doc. Hopefully NO Part 2.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got some bad news today from my doc. Hopefully NO Part 2. Login/Join 
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent.. Now go kick cancer in the nuts!

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5127 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Getting a cancer diagnosis is never a good thing. Been there, done that! Prostate cancer some 8-9 years ago. Doc took 12 samples, 10 had cancer cells.

Underwent a new, back then, treatment of radiation therapy. It used X-rays rather than hard radiation. Took 39 treatments, but have been free of the cancer since then.

Somehow, I was never frightened, even when the doc told me about the cancer.

He asked me why I was not scared, and my response to him was, "Well all that means to me is that if it does not go well, I will just get to meet Jesus sooner than I anticipated".

I realize such a response is not for everybody, but it was what I felt and believed. Still do.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DanPatWork
posted Hide Post
You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I too am in my mid 40s, returning to school, have adult children and I am dealing with my own unexpected health issues. The good news, as has been stated here, is that this is highly treatable and has a very good survivability rate.

My only input would be that it is never saving a family member from the bad news by not keeping them informed. While it can be a shock, depressing, or even scary, the more you keep everyone informed about your condition and the progress throughout treatment, the stronger you family will be.

When my father was facing prostate and later liver cancer he tried to "save us the stress" of dealing with it by not telling us about it until he was going in for surgery. From our point of view this was more stressful because we were completely unprepared for the possible outcomes. This left alot of hurt between my father and the rest of the family. In contrast, my father in-law went through multiple cancer treatments but kept everyone informed along the way. The end result was the whole family came together as a support network for each other throughout the whole process.

As for school, only you can know your own limitations. I would suggest sticking it out. If things get to be too much and you can't finish, take the incomplete and come back to wrap it up once you are up to it. Your decision to go back to school at this point in your life shows your commitment to complete something and you are being hit with something that should justifiably freak out anyone. Give it some time to sink in, talk with your wife, and then make your decision.

Posts: 284 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Thoughts and best wishes to you and your family

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent.

My thoughts are with you.

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Prayers for you.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10892 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
You will beat this, many wishing you well and prayers. Scary, prayers sent

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
In my thoughts. Oh yeah, fuck you cancer.

Posts: 3476 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Just an update to my forum friends.

I had my 1-year post surgery check up October 2019 (from my Thyroidectomy done October 2018). Ultrasound showed multiple enlarged lymph nodes in my neck. Endocrinologist said “we will monitor it and do another Ultrasound after a year”. Also had follow-up check with Oncologist. Onco said “there is nothing to follow-up in a year. Your lymph nodes are not supposed to be enlarged and be that size”. She ordered PET scan to rule out cancer. Insurance denied PET scan. Second approach was MRI and I-131 whole body scan. MRI still showed enlarged lymph nodes (though smaller in size compared to the previous US from last month).

Today, I’m on way to the hospital to do the I-131 scan. I was told I have to swallow a small radioactive pill (I-123). Wait 5 hrs, do the 1st scan. Come back tomorrow morning for the 2nd
Scan. I have to be isolated between 24-48 hrs, I was told.

I’m hoping and praying for the best. I don’t want to go through Round 2 of cancer fight. I don’t want to put my family through this again.

Appreciate everyday and hug your love ones and furry babies.

Posts: 1872 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have my prayers that the docs, nurse, techs and, especially the Lord will allow you to heal completely and return to your normal life.

Bob

Posts: 1557 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I'll be praying for you and your family. Hang in there, man.

Posts: 17035 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Well shit. You do your best to stay positive and we’ll do our best to send prayers and support your way. I’m glad your oncologist is on this. Lots of advancements, I’ve got an old friend who had, what looked like bad news; he’s in complete remission now.

Posts: 13137 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I'll add a prayer and include you in my daily book.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m in the same battle for a different type of cancer that originated in the colon and spread. I’m a hospice candidate but we’re taking it one day at ac time. If my strength and blood lab results improve, they may restart chemo treatment. Please add me to your prayer lists. Thank you.

Dum Spiro Pugno

Posts: 174 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Strider41, you and your family will definitely be in our prayers too. We will fight this for as long as we can. When I was diagnosed over a year ago, my perspective in life changed. I spent as much time as I can with my family traveling and creating beautiful memories. I felt like I live in a borrowed time, and can be taken away at anytime. I live my life to the fullest each day and pray to God to watch over all of us each and every day.

Hang it there. You will be in our prayers.

Posts: 1872 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ador:
Strider41, you and your family will definitely be in our prayers too. We will fight this for as long as we can. When I was diagnosed over a year ago, my perspective in life changed. I spent as much time as I can with my family traveling and creating beautiful memories. I felt like I live in a borrowed time, and can be taken away at anytime. I live my life to the fullest each day and pray to God to watch over all of us each and every day.

Hang it there. You will be in our prayers.

Thank you! They along with my daily prayers help keep my spirits up and positive.

Dum Spiro Pugno

Posts: 174 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Posts: 5688 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
May God bless you, and heal you, amen.

Posts: 13665 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers up.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Prayers up as well.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post