SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got some bad news today from my doc. Hopefully NO Part 2.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got some bad news today from my doc. Hopefully NO Part 2. Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
My wife and I, both cancer survivors, are praying for you and your family, as well as for the medical staff that will be caring for you.

While it is not for everyone, I also pray that you will look to your God for his help.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I am very sorry this is happening to you. I'm going to join with the large host of good people above who will be praying for you. There is great power in prayer.

"The effectual prayer of a righteous man availeth much." James 5:16

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I send prayers of wisdom to your doctors, healing to you, and comfort and faith to your family.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12296 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
50 years ago, this might be a death sentence, but not necessarily now. What did your doc say about the course of treatment, prospects for recovery?

It may be you are in for some unpleasant medical procedures after which you will recover and live a long life.

I just had a visitor this weekend who told me he had been diagnosed with prostate cancer, gone through treatment and was now symptom and cancer free, a year later.

Don’t panic now. Wait until you get to the point that all hope is lost. That may be decades ahead.

In the meantime, tell your family. They will support you as you go through the process knowledgeably, confident, and determined.

What I was going to say, is that 2018 is the best year yet, to get cancer. When you've got to have cancer, NOW is the time.

Perhaps it's a cold comfort, but Jallen is right.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Stay strong. Thoughts and prayers on the way

Posts: 5281 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Oh man, tough to have to deal with this news by yourself, even for a day. All the best in your treatment.

Posts: 13138 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers on the way for you and your family. It is scary to have someone lay that diagnosis down on the table. But, you will fight it, and you will get through it. If you have the will to do what you have to do and can keep the can do attitude, you will get through this.

You have the will, we have the faith in you, and He will help with what you need.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1104 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Hoping you and your family get through this without too much pain. Please keep us posted.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5291 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent.

Posts: 4661 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cry it out when you can then kick it in the nuts and show it who's boss. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ador:
Thanks my friends. I just finished crying like a baby. This news really hit me hard.

I am scared because cancer runs in the family. I saw how it ends with some of them, I want to see my future grand kids and retire with my wife.

It's perfectly normal to be scared. You got this bro. Do what the doctors tell you and you will get to see your grand children. Just to be extra sure I'll put in a good word for you with the big guy in the sky.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20726 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I bet your family will handle it better than you think they might, and offer you all the love and support you need.

I understand being scared, and of course you are. Just keep moving forward, scared or not.

And know I, and everyone else here is thinking of you, praying for you, and sending you all the best wishes we know how to send.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
Not to minimize your concern, but as stated above, I was told that if you had to have cancer, this is the one to get.

I hadn't had a medical checkup in literally twenty years -- I was forty-four, and my wife was pregnant with our second and forced me to go. My cancer was pretty advanced -- the lump was visible (barely) and moved to the adjacent lymph nodes. Okay, get it done.

Surgery (removing thyroid and a number of lymph nodes and relocating some others) went okay, but I had a calcium crash that put me back in the ICU for a day or two. Took me a couple months to get back up to speed, but by then second son had arrived.

Did the radiation pill -- the worst part of that was the awful couple of weeks of no iodine diet preceding. Isolation room for a day or so, then ten days away from the kids til I quit glowing.

I got lucky with the replacement hormone dosage -- no real dialing in or other side effects some people encounter.

Nine years later, just taking the pill daily and keeping up monitoring appointments. One other kid since and one coming any day now. Other than making sure I take the pill, don't think about it at all. It does spoil my daydreams of being stranded on a deserted island, and I won't last long in a TEOTWAWKI event, but other than that, it has little effect on my life. I swim a mile three times a week, along with rowing machine, weights, and stair-stepper -- all to make sure I can keep up with these three (soon to be four) boys.

I don't know the complications of your diabetes, but this can be just a bump in the road. Take it seriously, but know that at the end of a clearly defined process, you can be pretty much back to normal. Absolutely sucks for school timing, but I'm sure you can find a workaround.

Good luck.

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife had half of her thyroid removed 2 years ago due to a cancerous nodule. She's had a few other surgeries (appendix, gall bladder) and said this was the easiest.

The most common form of thyroid cancer is highly treatable. After learning about it, my wife says she even feels guilty about calling it cancer in the presence of women who have had breast cancer.

Surgical removal will very likely be the end of your cancer treatment. If not, the radiation to get the rest is NOTHING like most other cancers. You take radioactive iodine and it is absorbed by every cancerous thyroid cell in your body wherever they are. It's as close to a magic bullet as it gets.

Posts: 8942 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent my friend. Take this burden to God and let him help you.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 882 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I know two women who had thyroid cancer, and both have been fine after treatment, with no recurrence.

You'll come through this okay.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11105 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughter who is married with 3 kids had this done not long ago.

It went smoothly. She said it was not a bad surgery and all her doctors told her there was nothing to worry about. Her husband and father in law told her that first and both are doctors...so, I hope this makes you feel better.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the support and prayers my friends. I just finished talking to my manager and asked for emergency leave tomorrow. I want to spend some time with my wife tomorrow talk about this. I also need to make several calls to make ENT and Oncology appointments. I have been waiting here inside the employee restroom for few minutes now as my eyes are still blood shot from crying earlier. I dont want our patients and my fellow employees see me like this.

Time to put my game face on now and help our patients.

Thanks again for the support my friends.

Posts: 1872 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Already praying for you!

This is probably out of character for you - but call in sick, or take some personal time and go spend time with your wife. Yes, it will freak her out a little, but so what. Your scared, and she will be too. Cry together, hold each other... You can face it tomorrow with a stiff upper lip; tonight, go be with family.

Posts: 364 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: January 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
You can do this. Go see the docs, and if you need support outside of family there are a bunch of cancer survivors here in SF.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post