SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got some bad news today from my doc. Hopefully NO Part 2.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got some bad news today from my doc. Hopefully NO Part 2. Login/Join 
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted
My forum friend, please let me share this with you as I have not said a word to any of my family members. I am devastated by this news from my doc.

I have been a Type 2 diabetic for 5-8 years now. I have made my first appointment with an Endocrinologist a month ago. As part of her routine tests, she ordered ultrasound of my thyroid. Ultrasound revealed 2 nodules that concerned my doctor. I was then referred to do needle biopsy last week. This morning, I got a call from the nurse asking me to come in ASAP. I told myself, this can't be good. When I got to the clinic this morning, the Endocrinologist went over the result of the biopsy. It is malignant. She referred me to see ENT and Oncologist. First step is to surgically remove the affected thyroid. I am SCARED.

I have been working as LPN for 9 years now. I am supposed to start my 2.5 year BSN program this Monday, while working Full Time at the Hospital. Now, I am not sure if I can even push through with school for this semester. I have been going to school part time getting my pre-reqs done for the program. I finished what I needed this past summer.

I am 45 year old. My oldest daughter just got married. My youngest son just started High School. My wife, she is an RN. Medically, I know she can handle the bad news (when I tell her tonight when she gets home from work). But as a wife, I am sure she will burst in tears.

I wanted to spare my loved ones the bad news (wife, daughter, son and mom). But I have to tell my wife.

I will go to work in 2 hours. I will have to wake up my wife tonight when I come home from work so we can sit down and talk about the CA treatment.

I am SCARED. I will do what is needed to face this problem, I am just scared of the fact the cancer cells are sneaky and it can come out somewhere else, someday.

Thanks for listening my friends. Life will go on. I just needed to vent right now as I am SCARED. Deep inside, I feel like crying. But nothing is coming out. I already said my prayers and asked God for strength and guidance. I will have a very challenging days ahead.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ador,

Posts: 1872 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perfection is impossible,
Trying is not…
posted Hide Post
If you feel like crying, cry. It can help. I went thru thyroid cancer 16 years ago, you'll be fine. And as always on this great Forum, All our thoughts and prayers go out to you...

Ray

"Isn't it weird that in AMERICA, our flag & our culture offend so many people - but our benefits do not"

Posts: 516 | Location: OKC | Registered: October 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
You can count on prayers from my family and I.

Naturally you and your wife know more about the implications, so I will only add my Dad had 3 bouts with cancer. He survived them all and lived to the ripe age of 87. Hence cancer can be beat and we hope you will beat yours too.

Posts: 3688 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A quick consult with Dr. Intergoogle would suggest a 10 year survival of 95%.
Treatable and you can prevail. Good luck and keep us posted!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15973 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
You got this brother! Face it head on. Your family and Sigforum will have your back.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1900 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Thanks my friends. I just finished crying like a baby. This news really hit me hard.

I am scared because cancer runs in the family. I saw how it ends with some of them, I want to see my future grand kids and retire with my wife.

Posts: 1872 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Being a cancer survivor I can understand your fear at this time. I've been cancer free for 2 1/2 years now and the doctors say that I'm over the hump for recurrence. You will too I'm sure. Take the fight one day at a time and be thankful this occurred in this day and age of medical marvels.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I really hate that for you and you can believe you will be in my prayers everyday

Posts: 13009 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Said a prayer for you. My neighbor and my cousin both went through this. Both are doing well many years later. It is very treatable. God bless you and your family.

Posts: 1356 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I am lifting you in prayer, ador.

The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make His face to shine upon you, and be gracious to you;
the Lord lift up His countenance upon you, and give you peace.

Posts: 8575 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
50 years ago, this might be a death sentence, but not necessarily now. What did your doc say about the course of treatment, prospects for recovery?

It may be you are in for some unpleasant medical procedures after which you will recover and live a long life.

I just had a visitor this weekend who told me he had been diagnosed with prostate cancer, gone through treatment and was now symptom and cancer free, a year later.

Don’t panic now. Wait until you get to the point that all hope is lost. That may be decades ahead.

In the meantime, tell your family. They will support you as you go through the process knowledgeably, confident, and determined.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Yes that sucks. But you need to be strong for them. You can beat this!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ador:
I am SCARED. I will do what is needed to face this problem...

Completely understandable, reasonable and ok to be scared. Express that anyway you need to. Don’t give in and don’t give give up your own personal power. As you so astutely stated above, “I will...” and so you will!

Fear is just your own courage with its eyes closed. All the prayers coming your way to see you come out on the other side of this!

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Do what you need to do,you are a young man with another forty years ahead of you.
your doc will help you whip this
Crying is nothing to be ashamed of,helps you be stronger.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
My wife and daughter have both had their thyroids removed due to thyroid cancer. It is very survivable.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A cancer diagnosis is what I call a "significant emotional event"!! I say that, as I got that diagnosis 7 years ago. It is a lot of information to take in, and to process.....only a bit of time, and your physicians can help you accomplish this. It does get better mentally, and emotionally, but it takes some time. You won't sleep well for a number of nights, etc. Right now you have essentially ZERO medical information as to what needs to be done, and the prognosis from the procedures. Talk it over with your wife and family.....even your preacher/priest/rabbi if you are so inclined. The more knowledge you get about your condition, the better you can evaluate everything.

Posts: 6596 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I also had a FNA of a thyroid nodule, and while it turned out benign, I was repeatedly told that thyroid cancer is the kind you want if you have to have cancer. Apparently, the treatment is well tolerated with very high success rates and very positive long-term survivability.

I'll say a prayer for you, although I have a feeling you and the doctors will take care of this just fine.

Posts: 6060 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Prayer sent.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19077 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
All my thoughts are with you brother.
My sister had it and she beat it!

You can too!

All the best for a speedy recovery!

Keep positive, try no to despair and FIGHT!

Sincerely
Billy

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
Prayers are inbound.

You can fight this and win.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post