SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pappy's Smokehouse - STL
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pappy's Smokehouse - STL Login/Join 
Picture of jprebb
posted
Had lunch at Pappy's today and I think I had the best ribs I've ever had in my life! We're already planning lunch there again tomorrow!

Anyone else been? What did you think?

JP

Posts: 2048 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Way over rated but that's just me it appears. There's one real close to my office downtown and they sell out every day it seems.

The only joint worse to me is Sugarfire which is another STL favorite.

Posts: 3915 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I like it.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
Way over rated but that's just me it appears.

I'm in STL until Saturday and I'd love to visit a place that has ribs that you think are better than Pappy's. I think that's a tall order, but let me know and I'll give them a shot.

Thanks!
JP

Posts: 2048 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
https://bogartssmokehouse.com

Bogarts is good. It is run by some ex Pappys people. Just as delicious.

Unlike the others, I also like Sugarfire, there are multiple locations.

I can give many more food suggestions if you want, just need to know your mobility nd budget along with tastes.

Wish you had let me known you were in town, I would have shown you around.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed Pappy's, that was some of the best smoked turkey I've ever tasted!

Kevin, still craving that sauce from that wing place you met me at, but forgetting the name. Do you happen to remember which place that was?

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
I can give many more food suggestions if you want, just need to know your mobility nd budget along with tastes.

Wish you had let me known you were in town, I would have shown you around.

I'm in town with a bunch of my colleagues for work-related training and our evenings are all organized or I'd take you up on that. So what we've been doing is breaking out for lunch. We might have to try Bogarts today!

JP

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jprebb:
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
Way over rated but that's just me it appears.

I'm in STL until Saturday and I'd love to visit a place that has ribs that you think are better than Pappy's. I think that's a tall order, but let me know and I'll give them a shot.

Thanks!
JP
In fairness to them I have never had their ribs. They have been sold out the 3 times I have gone there. I gave their brisket a try two times because I was told how fanststic it is but both times it was extremely fatty to the point of only half of it being edible. Also had a turkey sammy that to me was over smoked and had a bitter taste to it which can happen with mesquite wood.

I prefer Bogarts myself. There is a shooting range (sharpshootersstl.com)in St.louis that also has a BBQ restaurant attached and the owner modeled it after Pappys because of the popularity. Everything I’ve had there is better than Pappys including the sides. Excellent naked wings also.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Pappy's is good stuff!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24102 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Woody's in St. Charles on Zumbehl Road! Meat so tender you can literally eat their 32oz pork steak with only a plastic fork!

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
If you like prime rib (who doesn't) then don't miss Kreis' while you are in St Louis.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1449 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I love Pappy's! Their ribs are the best I've ever had!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:

Kevin, still craving that sauce from that wing place you met me at, but forgetting the name. Do you happen to remember which place that was?

Sybergs.

Email me and I will karma you a bottle of their sauce!

Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Sybergs.

Try the shark bites at Sybergs, tastes like shrimp.

Only thing bad about Pappy's is how busy they can get. Their call ahead system seems to be better than what they previously had going on though.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sybergs.

Email sent! You are the Man!

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Sybergs.

That sauce is also great with shrimp. There’s a restaurant called Twisted Tree on Watson that prepares them that way.

posted Hide Post
We have lots of good BBQ in St. Louis; some I haven't even heard of till someone else mentions a name. I don't think I saw Salt and Smoke mentioned yet. Very good.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
We've just started making some BBQ down my way, y'all should try it out sometime.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jprebb:

I'm in town with a bunch of my colleagues for work-related training and our evenings are all organized or I'd take you up on that. So what we've been doing is breaking out for lunch. We might have to try Bogarts today!

JP

Motorola?

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Motorola?

Haha....yep! How'd you know?

JP