SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Insurance Companies Recommending Assisted Suicide
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insurance Companies Recommending Assisted Suicide Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
As chellim correctly pointed out above, it is inevitable that 'enforced suicide' will be mandatory.

All I have to do is apply a little rhetorical license to your comments, and I am right there at the "fall of mankind."

Surely you wouldn't be arguing in favor of mandatory suicide? And would concede it is counter to American principles? And human instinct?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
A little common sense here.

First, RE: the thread title...to be clear, an insurance company cannot 'recommend' a treatment. The doctor recommends the treatment. An insurer can apply or decline coverage of that treatment, and that initial decision can be negotiated/appealed.

Yeah, if an insurer only offered to cover assisted suicide or hospice, and my doctor had other ideas that I wanted to try, I'd be ticked. But that is the start of the negotiation, not the end. Wink

Insurers get convinced to cover treatment they initially declined all the time. If you ask your doctor what fraction of their staff time is spent negotiating coverage with insurers, you will be shocked. If the doc strikes out, there are other approaches too - state insurance regulators, attorneys, human-interest journalists, etc.

Personally, I have zero issues with assisted suicide. I can easily imagine scenarios where I might look at the options and decide to get a one-way ticket to wherever-it's-legalville.

When you think about it, we often are kinder to our pets facing their unchangeable end-game scenarios than to our fellow humans.

Posts: 15026 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
As chellim correctly pointed out above, it is inevitable that 'enforced suicide' will be mandatory.

All I have to do is apply a little rhetorical license to your comments, and I am right there at the "fall of mankind."

Surely you wouldn't be arguing in favor of mandatory suicide? And would concede it is counter to American principles? And human instinct?

In the case of single payer.

There is no other way to contain costs and ration care in a single payer system. Someone has to make a decision on when a procedure is no longer 'cost effective' in a single payer system. Are extraordinary measures going to be approved for an 83 year old in a single payer system? Will the patient or their family have an option?

Of course I am not in favor of a system like that. I would be fine with JALLEN's position or some type of catastrophic only coverage.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
To the OP, if your life insurance policy excludes suicide, it wouldn't matter if it was assisted, recommended, or paid for by insurance.

As Joel9507 said, your health insurer can't even suggest a treatment in a particular case. Do you call Blue Cross when you have a fever or your doctor? And you are certainly getting ahead of your self when you suggest your insurer could "force you into" suicide. Maybe Tony Soprano can do that, but Aetna cannot.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
quote:

In the case of single payer.

There is no other way to contain costs and ration care in a single payer system. Someone has to make a decision on when a procedure is no longer 'cost effective' in a single payer system. Are extraordinary measures going to be approved for an 83 year old in a single payer system? Will the patient or their family have an option?

Of course I am not in favor of a system like that. I would be fine with JALLEN's position or some type of catastrophic only coverage.

I agree that rationing could well be a consequence of a single payer system. Even a likely one. But that is a long damn way from euthanasia. Imagine a no-insurance system: I don't think you'd call a poor person being unable to afford an expensive treatment a suicide. In that same way, rationing is not euthanasia.

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree that rationing could well be a consequence of a single payer system. Even a likely one. But that is a long damn way from euthanasia. Imagine a no-insurance system: I don't think you'd call a poor person being unable to afford an expensive treatment a suicide. In that same way, rationing is not euthanasia.

The outcome is the same no matter how you label it. In a no insurance system the poor person could try to raise the money or negotiate treatment. In a rationing situation someone else makes the decision and the patient has no options. Give it whatever term you want, but the result is the patient having no choice and ending up dead.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Food for thought.
We have to bring down the cost of health care, no matter who is paying for it.
Look at the statistics. Most of the money spent on healthcare in your lifetime is in the last few months. Often the last few days and weeks. By definition, it is unsuccessful healthcare but you don't always know that in advance. Many people are unrealistic when someone else is paying and it really doesn't help the patient. Some people just can't let go.
So what's the answer?

Posts: 9499 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
If you can't punch your own ticket, are you really a free person?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The outcome is the same no matter how you label it. In a no insurance system the poor person could try to raise the money or negotiate treatment. In a rationing situation someone else makes the decision and the patient has no options. Give it whatever term you want, but the result is the patient having no choice and ending up dead.

That is the same argument that supporters of universal health care make. If you can't afford it and don't get treatment, the result is the patient having no choice and ending up dead. You can just hear some lefty saying the current system amounts to euthanasia of the poor, can't you?

I realize there is something to argue about - which system will get more healthcare to more people is one of the real arguments. And there will also be attempts to do that fairly. Opinions on how best to do that will vary widely. (And you and I probably mostly agree.)

But calling rationing "mandatory suicide" is just as illegitimate as calling the inability to pay "suicide."

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
If you can't punch your own ticket, are you really a free person?

End of life is a tough subject.

As to your statement - punching your own ticket - absolutely should be up to individual.

I think the problems come in when you add 'assisted' and especially when you add in 'recommended' or even more when/if it ever becomes decision of bureaucrat crunching numbers.

- John Adams

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is the same argument that supporters of universal health care make. If you can't afford it and don't get treatment, the result is the patient having no choice and ending up dead. You can just hear some lefty saying the current system amounts to euthanasia of the poor, can't you?

I realize there is something to argue about - which system will get more healthcare to more people is one of the real arguments. And there will also be attempts to do that fairly. Opinions on how best to do that will vary widely. (And you and I probably mostly agree.)

But calling rationing "mandatory suicide" is just as illegitimate as calling the inability to pay "suicide."

I'll concede or leave behind the argument on semantics because it's not really central to my point.

There has never been any real discussion of doing away with health insurance and we've never had, nor has anyone proposed, a system where poor people could not access it. In fact, it is explicitly against the law for a hospital to turn someone away based on inability to pay - even illegal aliens.

However, there is real discussion and a lot of support for a single payer system that many think will be a panacea without considering all of the ramifications.

Rationing is a huge part of single payer and decisions on end of life care are made and will be made by bureaucrats in a single payer system.

- John Adams

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
To the OP, if your life insurance policy excludes suicide, it wouldn't matter if it was assisted, recommended, or paid for by insurance.

As Joel9507 said, your health insurer can't even suggest a treatment in a particular case. Do you call Blue Cross when you have a fever or your doctor? And you are certainly getting ahead of your self when you suggest your insurer could "force you into" suicide. Maybe Tony Soprano can do that, but Aetna cannot.

As far as suicide most companies have a 2 year limit on it.

As far as the "force you into" suicide, I see this as a real possibility. No the actual injection but withholding care that could marginally increase your chances of living. The article says that states with assisted suicide laws on the books options are limited. So effectively they are forcing suicide or hospice and not giving a chance for experimental or expensive treatments.

I actually have no problem with this. If a DOCTOR determines you have no chance to live, then I see no need to waste the money to buy 2 weeks or a 1/1,000,000 chance cure. If the insurance company is making the decision that you are a lost cause, I have a real problem with that.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of wild ideas here. This is a doomsday thread, despite rebuttals that it is some kind of economics discussion.

That said, insurers are one of the greatest influences on healthcare in the country, of that there is no doubt. It may not be so for the 80 year old woman with a history of heart failure who is admitted for pneumonia. Actually insurers won't bother those hospitalists much at all. But consider certain fields, most prominently in my mind psychiatry, in which conversations with insurers happen daily. The results of those conversations most assuredly do influence care and have the effect of a treatment mandate. Everything from "nope, they can be treated as an outpatient," to "sorry, the patient does not meet criteria and therefore can not be admitted." The physician can surely overrule these opinions and not get paid. Of course that doesn't stop the patient from getting a whopping bill. The physician, aware of this, will attempt to spare the patient this pain and is influenced towards discharge. It also doesn't stop the hospital from running in the red. This is just one scenario. That, in my mind, indicates the insurance companies are able to strictly limit care to the point of recommending treatment - not the doctor. We would treat psychiatry patients entirely differently, to the point of serving entirely different populations, if insurance wasn't such a major factor.

Obviously there are limits according to politics. Will we ever see "enforced suicide?" Of course not, this is ridiculous. What about refusal to treat such that suicide becomes the only available option? Also ridiculous and I daresay borne of those whose hobby is predicting the next way big government will kill us.

But to deny that insurance companies have any ability to dictate care is the other side of blind.

Posts: 2460 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan:
There are a lot of wild ideas here. This is a doomsday thread, despite rebuttals that it is some kind of economics discussion.

That said, insurers are one of the greatest influences on healthcare in the country, of that there is no doubt. It may not be so for the 80 year old woman with a history of heart failure who is admitted for pneumonia. Actually insurers won't bother those hospitalists much at all. But consider certain fields, most prominently in my mind psychiatry, in which conversations with insurers happen daily. The results of those conversations most assuredly do influence care and have the effect of a treatment mandate. Everything from "nope, they can be treated as an outpatient," to "sorry, the patient does not meet criteria and therefore can not be admitted." The physician can surely overrule these opinions and not get paid. Of course that doesn't stop the patient from getting a whopping bill. The physician, aware of this, will attempt to spare the patient this pain and is influenced towards discharge. It also doesn't stop the hospital from running in the red. This is just one scenario. That, in my mind, indicates the insurance companies are able to strictly limit care to the point of recommending treatment - not the doctor. We would treat psychiatry patients entirely differently, to the point of serving entirely different populations, if insurance wasn't such a major factor.

Obviously there are limits according to politics. Will we ever see "enforced suicide?" Of course not, this is ridiculous. What about refusal to treat such that suicide becomes the only available option? Also ridiculous and I daresay borne of those whose hobby is predicting the next way big government will kill us.

But to deny that insurance companies have any ability to dictate care is the other side of blind.

You outline in your post how insurance companies are already rationing care, and it happens in all areas not just psychiatry, and then go on to say that it won't happen with end of life decisions in a single payer system.

You might want to research single payer systems already implemented in other countries because you will find that economics dictates those end of life decisions in every single payer system - they have to because there is no other way to contain costs.

- John Adams

I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is a doomsday thread, despite rebuttals that it is some kind of economics discussion.

No kidding. Just looked outside --> Sky hasn't fallen.

When an insurance company has to pay 1-500k++ for a drug that maybe extends someone's life for 3-6 months, I can certainly see why they would bitch. I'm NOT saying that is right, just or acceptable. But to think it is in any way sustainable is folly.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
In a single payer system (where we are headed), it would be illegal to procure care outside of the system.

It is hard to say what would come in a single payer system until the legislation is written. Let's hope we don't find out.

Having worked in the UK, I can say that is not how their system works. Everyone gets National Health. Many of those who can afford it buy private insurance through BUPA and use that instead of National Health. I suspect that in addition to BUPA, Harley Street physicians (and other private docs) also accept direct payment.

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan:

This is the age of euphemism. Nationalizing an industry would be politically untenable, but look at the regulation of banks. There are many other examples. We have socialism, but won't call it that, etc.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
There has never been any real discussion of doing away with health insurance and we've never had, nor has anyone proposed, a system where poor people could not access it. In fact, it is explicitly against the law for a hospital to turn someone away based on inability to pay - even illegal aliens.

Hospitals are legally required to proved care to people "actively dying" (P226RN could describe a lot better). It is legal for a hospital to have a medical professional evaluate potential patients who are unable to pay and if they don't meet the rather narrow criteria give them directions elsewhere. Whether this is moral or right is a separate question, but it is legal.

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
Hospitals are legally required to proved care to people "actively dying" (P226RN could describe a lot better). It is legal for a hospital to have a medical professional evaluate potential patients who are unable to pay and if they don't meet the rather narrow criteria give them directions elsewhere. Whether this is moral or right is a separate question, but it is legal.

Those are private hospitals. Publicly funded hospitals cannot turn away based on an inability to pay.

- John Adams

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
In a single payer system (where we are headed), it would be illegal to procure care outside of the system.

It is hard to say what would come in a single payer system until the legislation is written. Let's hope we don't find out.

Having worked in the UK, I can say that is not how their system works. Everyone gets National Health. Many of those who can afford it buy private insurance through BUPA and use that instead of National Health. I suspect that in addition to BUPA, Harley Street physicians (and other private docs) also accept direct payment.

True that we would have to wait to see what actually came out of it, but what is being proposed and pushed by the democrats and socialists like Bernie would explicitly ban private care.

http://www.pnhp.org/facts/sing...r-faq#buy_healthcare
quote:
Why shouldn’t we let people buy better health care if they can afford it?

Whenever we allow the wealthy to buy better care or jump the queue, health care for the rest of us suffers. If the wealthy are forced to rely on the same health system as the poor, they will use their political power to assure that the health system is well funded. Conversely, programs for the poor become poor programs. For instance, because Medicaid doesn’t serve the wealthy, the payment rates are low and many physicians refuse to see Medicaid patients. Calls to improve Medicaid fall on deaf ears because the beneficiaries are not considered politically important. Moreover, when the wealthy jump the queue, it results in longer waits for others. Studies in New Zealand and Canada show that the growth of private care in parallel to the public system results in lengthening waits. Additionally, allowing the development of a parallel, private system for the wealthy means the creation of a permanent lobby for underfunding public care. Such underfunding increases the demand for private care.

Of course, such a system would lead to black market care and the rich would still bypass the public system - that's also inevitable and Econ 101.

- John Adams