SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quote "He wanted my gun so I gave it to him"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quote "He wanted my gun so I gave it to him" Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
And by "I gave it to him" he meant He shot him!

61-year-old man shoots teenager trying to steal his gun on Detroit's west side.

DETROIT - A robbery attempt in Detroit backfired when a teenager picked the wrong man to mess with and quickly learned he wasn't the only person armed.

Darius Summers is a mild-mannered musician in Detroit who just turned 61 years old this week. He also recently received his license to carry a concealed weapon.

"I'd never been through this," Summers said. "Never shot a gun before. All this is new to me."

On Sunday morning near his home on Detroit's west side, Summers was at a gas station.

"I just wanted some coffee, so I walked down here," Summers said.

He said a 16-year-old boy armed with a gun saw that Summers was also armed, and the teen tried to take his weapon. He stuck his gun in Summers' back, thinking he was an older, easier target.

"I said, 'All I want to do is leave,'" Summers said. "He said, 'You can't leave.' I said, 'OK. What do you want to do?'"

Summers said the teen was controlling him, but then the 61-year-old man pulled out his own gun and shot the boy in the stomach. The teen picked up the gun that he dropped and limped out of the store.

Summers said there's no way he was going to let an armed 16-year-old make him a victim.

"I didn't shoot to kill, I shot to save his life," Summers said. "I got him up off me."

Summers is a grandfather, and he tried to talk to the teen as a grandfather.

Xavier Futrell was arrested and charged with assault with intent to murder, carrying a weapon with unlawful intent and a felony firearms violation.

Quote was in the video at the link. At about 1:45

https://www.clickondetroit.com...n-detroits-west-side

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
“There are two tragedies in life. One is to lose your heart's desire. The other is to gain it.” -George Bernard Shaw

Somehow that quote really makes sense now. The victim gave the kid what he desired.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Way to be decisive! Good shooting.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Wait, wait, wait...

Dude's open-carrying a handgun around town, and he has (and I quote) "NEVER SHOT A GUN BEFORE"?!

On one hand: good for him for defending himself. On the other hand: WT-Actual-F, over?

Please tell me he just misspoke or was misquoted, and really meant "I've never shot anyone before; all this is new to me".

Sadly, judging by some of the gun owners I've seen, it's entirely possible that the quote is accurate. Some folks think that guns are magical talismans that they can buy, load, and either stick in a drawer or carry around, and which will miraculously prevent anything bad from happening to them. No need to practice or maintain it, or even plan to use it. Just keep it around and you're safe.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Wait, wait, wait...

Dude's open-carrying a handgun around town, and he's "never shot a gun before"?!

Yea pretty wild!
But he said he has a permit so wouldn't that require some shooting? It does here.

Edit to add:
And he let the perp stop and pick up his dropped gun on the way out!!! WTF. Threat not neutralized... you shoot him again if he reaches for the gun again... that could have easily went very bad for the good guy.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
And if he was carrying concealed, how did the teen know he had a gun? Unless he was really bad at concealing it. I'm not sure I'm buying that he never shot a gun before as I think range time is part of the required CCW class.

That kid must have been pretty stupid if he had the drop on a guy who has never shot a gun and got shot.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
There is a lot wrong with that story. Dude is lucky to be alive. Good that the junior thug is busted.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
16 years old and already a felon in possession of a firearm charge...

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Shooter was more competent than the reporter.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
That's how musicians do it. They give you the gun...

----------
You know I caught my old lady messin' 'round town
And I gave her the gun
And I shot her
Alright
- Jimi Hendrix

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Always give the customer what they ask for. Always.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15575 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I think his statement, "I'd never been through this," Summers said. "Never shot a gun before. All this is new to me.", is refering to getting his concealed pistol license as in before I got a CPL, I never shot a gun. Obviously, he did expect the gun to magically protect him and he planned to use it should become necessary. Good for him.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I think his statement, "I'd never been through this," Summers said. "Never shot a gun before. All this is new to me.", is refering to getting his concealed pistol license as in before I got a CPL, I never shot a gun. Obviously, he did expect the gun to magically protect him and he planned to use it should become necessary. Good for him.

Yes, trapper, I think your interpretation of the poorly-written article is the best explanation. Nothing else makes sense.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
But he said he has a permit so wouldn't that require some shooting? It does here.

I think the story is another example of lazy journalism. At least they did not say ASSAULT RIFLE.

Some states do not require any training for a CCW permit, and others have no training required for open carry. The states that require some shooting are pretty lenient, using the B27 FBI target at three yards or some similar scenario. I am not sure whether Michigan has marksmanship requirements or not. Pennsylvania I believe requires a psychological assessment beforehand if you carry as part of your job, ie security guard.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Well, that settles it for me. I'll never go to the range again or practice mag dumps. No need, right? Wink

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post