SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Made in the USA power tools .
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Made in the USA power tools . Login/Join 
posted
Are there any power tools made in the USA anymore ?

Posts: 4057 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dewalt.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1365 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
My Dewalt 20v drill says "Made in Mexico"

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of the DeWalt stuff is, not all though.

I just picked up a DeWalt 20 volt brushless 1/2" impact gun.

Fantastic and made in the USA (at least assembled in the USA with globally procured parts).

Posts: 326 | Registered: January 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Is your concern quality or politics?
Most of my power tools are Festool, made in Germany; they are very high quality with commensurate high cost.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Is your concern quality or politics?
Most of my power tools are Festool, made in Germany; they are very high quality with commensurate high cost.

It could be pride or economical reasons too.

I would pay 15% more, assuming the same quality, if I knew it was paying the salary of an American worker.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
My understanding about Dewalt is that the company is promoting a made in the USA story, and is having some success even though the actual parts and materials are not USA sourced. I think Milwaukee is mostly USA manufactured but I'm not positive about percentages etc. I have both but I prefer milwaukee for that reason and the high quality. I don't know about Makita, but the quality is as good as Milwaykee or better in some cases.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8683 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Milwaukee is owned by TTI, a company listed on the Hong Kong stock exchange. They, like nearly everybody else, makes their electrical stuff in Asia, Taiwan I think. Even Dewalt’s motors are produced in Asia with final assembly here.

TTI also makes Ryobi tools and all Rigid tools that are orange. Emerson stills build the red Rigid stuff, like pipe wrenches and other plumbing tools.

If you are looking for any electric tool that is purely domestic, I don’t think you’re going to find it. I once was buying a power miter box, and found that the nearly $600 Bosch was built in the PRC. Unfortunately, power tools are like pianos. Old, respected brands are really Chinese products nowadays.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Milwaukee is owned by TTI, a company listed on the Hong Kong stock exchange. They, like nearly everybody else, makes their electrical stuff in Asia, Taiwan I think. Even Dewalt’s motors are produced in Asia with final assembly here.

TTI also makes Ryobi tools and all Rigid tools that are orange. Emerson stills build the red Rigid stuff, like pipe wrenches and other plumbing tools.

If you are looking for any electric tool that is purely domestic, I don’t think you’re going to find it. I once was buying a power miter box, and found that the nearly $600 Bosch was built in the PRC. Unfortunately, power tools are like pianos. Old, respected brands are really Chinese products nowadays.

Almost all of Milwaukee’s battery stuff and circular saws are made by the Chicoms in China, not Taiwan.

DeWalt makes some of their battery power tools in the US and has been producing more and more here.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
With three active plants in the USA Milwaukee still makes tools and accessories in the US... mostly corded tools and accessories. Little or no cordless.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
About the only well to tell for sure is go into Lowes or Home Depot and read the package but most are made in China these days but IMO that does not mean they are bad as a lot depends on the company's QC on internal components. The other day I saw a Metabo reciprocating saw in Lowes for under $100 and when I looked at it it was made in China too LOL. Us oldsters probably remember the days when made in Japan meant crap products for the most part and how that has changed over time.

One could also look at lightly used power tools on Ebay as many postings the seller puts the manufacture label in the picture.

Some of my Bosch power tools were made in Switzerland and Germany while some of my Makita power tools were made in Japan.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
It used to be that I didn’t care so much as long as the tool was of high quality. Lately it’s become more of a political issue with me. The Chicoms seem to want to be our enemy, and I don’t want to do business with a regime that wants to be overly hostile to the US. I’m avoiding it as much as I can, even when it costs me more money.

For example, today I spent $3,900 on eight USA branded tires. I could have saved $500 using Chinese tires, but I wouldn’t even consider it.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
Some of my Bosch power tools were made in Switzerland and Germany while some of my Makita power tools were made in Japan.

My Bosch tools are the same way, German or Swiss. I haven't bought any in more than 10 years, so I can't say where they are made now. I try to buy as much US made as I can, or at least non Chi-com, but sometimes you just can't find anything. It makes me a bit sad and angry at the same time.

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 579 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not so much a quality issue as it is political , economic . I know it's nearly impossible at this time to " Buy American " except on a limited basis . Chinese manufacturing is too deeply ingrained into our economy to think that's even remotely possible . All of that being said I still try when I can .

Posts: 4057 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Stihl, but not all. Thought their stuff were all US made. Bought a hedge trimmer from ACE Hardware last month, assuming it was US made. Came home to find out the "Made In China" was placed away from any direct view. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26387 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I was looking at circular saws to replace the weak 12 amp Skil I bought at Walmart years ago and can’t find one made in other than China. The Skil still works but it struggles in anything other than soft wood. Guess I’ll just use it til it burns out. I’m looking for something to use my $20 off $100 or more purchase at Lowe’s but I guess that won’t be it.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
When looking at anything on Amazon, if it is not clearly specified, I generally post a question (Amazon name is Lamont Cranston, for you old-timey radio fans): "Where is this made? Country of origin?"

Overwhelming majority of answers are "China," so I don't buy unless it's the only thing I can find.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just about none are made in USA. Every brand that you remember is made off shore. Dewalt does assemble a few here in the USA. Milwaukee may make their corded sawzall here but that's about it. Porter Cable, Skillsaw, Bosch 95% is made in China.

It is even very hard to find a true Germany/Switzerland made Bosh and Metbo. (new ones now, not the one you bought 20 years ago)

Some of the brands that use to be made in Japan are now made in China, you would have to bump up to their industrial line to find made in Japan. (again, the new ones today, not that 20 year old Makita drill that is still going strong)

Even gas power tools you have to look at very closely. All of the big, long time brands have a China made line.

The brand name means nothing on where it is made, please look on the tool itself. The box tricks you most times on where it is made. They do this purposely.

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
What I have found is that even though the power tool says it is made in the USA ... some or all of the components are sourced from overseas (China). There are parts that come from Germany, Japan, Switzerland, et cetera ... and I am okay with that personally.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Festool. As previously stated, they are not USA made, but they are German-designed and nearly bullet-proof. As an example, I have one cordless Festool drill that run on one battery for occasional jobs for over 6 years. Without a recharge.

As another example, the Festool Domino system is unmatched for joints, plywood work and cabinet making. Once you use one, you'll never go back to anything else - dominos are ridiculously strong.

And their tracksaw is phenomenal as well - just like their dust collectors.

I have never regretted buying their stuff.

Posts: 117 | Registered: January 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post