SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    St. Louis area members - The Impossible Whopper
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

St. Louis area members - The Impossible Whopper Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
People with a big plastic king want me to buy a fake hamburger? I think not.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
You guys probably poo-pooed fish tacos too.
Eventually, don't we all?

======================================

Well .... Roll Eyes .... only if we eat fish tacos....

and yes, I like fish tacos - so Parabellum is right again. Dang, how is he always so right?

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
Like several previous posters on this subject I am sort of a "religiously committed" meat eater. I ain't ever going to stop eating meat.

But I eat vegetables too. So, I am not particularly "anti-vegan" as it were. To clarify, I can tolerate a vegan-like lunch occasionally if it is tasty.

I have tried a couple of meatless burgers in the past, but didn't really like them.

I became interested in the Impossible Whopper recently when an IPO for a "meatless meat" producer hit wall street and stirred up a lot of discussion among pundits on the subject.

The Whopper Impossible Burger came up in the discussion on various financial networks - many who had tried it had positive reviews. My understanding is that it is only available in the St. Louis area now, but it is becoming quite popular. Rumors are that Burger King may cut short the marketing test (due to the popularity) and bring it out earlier than planned to other cities.

I have heard a couple of times that it is really not any healthier than a normal hamburger (I think it is high in salt), but the taste is very similar or indistinguishable from a regular hamburger.

So I am curious - but I will certainly not fly to St. Lewis to try it. Big Grin

"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Option#1: Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12.

Vs

Option#2: Beef.

I definitely like the ingredient list better on real burger. No tofu burgers for me please.

So I wonder if they are using a separate grill for these? If not it's likely that cooking them in beef fat might make it tolerable for me, but evil to a vegan.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I love my beef... to the point that I usually eat about a 4th of my steak before I barely cook it. But fast food restaurants, and my love of not only beef but good cheese (Cabets extra sharp) and butter finally took the toll just over 3 weeks ago... now I'm pretty much off of all of the above as well as salt... Two and a half hours with your main artery blocked leading to damaging your heart down to a 25% strength will force one to change.
So I'll probably try one and leave off the fries.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Well, I won't be trying it. I'm very basic in my hamburger desires: meat (well done),

If it's well done, it might as well not be meat anyway, since it's now essentially a penny loafer. Big Grin

Considering that a burger is less about the meat than many other meat dishes, the impossible burger sounds like the way to have a burger without eating meat. Sort of like not using top shelf booze in a cocktail.

I would try one, but considering I like my burgers and steaks to be practically still mooing, I'd say that would be tough to compete with. They may indeed be able to make a generally passable burger, but I doubt you'll ever see "impossible steak."

They're trying to grow meat in a lab, too. So it would still be meat, and even genetically a cow, but not ever actually a cow that was killed.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

When I saw "Impossible Whopper" I thought of an extra patty or two (over/above the existing Double Whopper), maybe with bacon or something added, so big you can't get your jaws around it. Razz I'm disappointed. Frown I don't, however, see it as a political statement. Instead, it is good capitalism. Smile Why not try to target a potential market that they weren't getting before and make some money off it? If the burgers sell in St. Louis, they will get introduced in other markets, perhaps eventually nationwide. If the burgers don't sell, they will get quietly dropped.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I'll call it as I see it...It's discrimination, and I think the cows have a good case. This may put a lot of good cows out of work Smile

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have tried it and was amazed at how good it is. I was very skeptical about this thing but I will try just about anything at least once. Went back and had another a few days later. Virtually indistinguishable from real beef!

Don't knock it till you've tried one.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Things that I say “NO” to;

1). Fast food
2). BK in particular
3). Fake ass meat

So no, nothing about this “unpossible” burger appeals to me.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
I'll call it as I see it...It's discrimination, and I think the cows have a good case. This may put a lot of good cows out of work Smile
CFA already did that. . . .

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Out here on the west coast, I can buy them uncooked at Vons (Safeway), at the one by my house they use "floral" date tags vs "meat." I think the butcher is having a good laugh.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

When I saw "Impossible Whopper" I thought of an extra patty or two (over/above the existing Double Whopper), maybe with bacon or something added, so big you can't get your jaws around it. Razz I'm disappointed. Frown I don't, however, see it as a political statement. Instead, it is good capitalism. Smile Why not try to target a potential market that they weren't getting before and make some money off it? If the burgers sell in St. Louis, they will get introduced in other markets, perhaps eventually nationwide. If the burgers don't sell, they will get quietly dropped.

And hamburger is also a similar oxymoron since burgers you crave don't have ham in them.

While this thread is about BK testing the market in St. Louis, BK has already announced that the testing went very well and that the Impossible Whopper will roll out nationwide later this year. Even when they do, they still will be late to the party.

Carl's Jr. uses Beyond Meat as an option on all their burgers. It's pretty good if you've never tried one. Beyond Meat is also used as an optional protein at a growing number of taco places.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Carl's Jr.

I guess some people eat there and think it's actually 'food', but not me.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I love my beef... to the point that I usually eat about a 4th of my steak before I barely cook it. But fast food restaurants, and my love of not only beef but good cheese (Cabets extra sharp) and butter finally took the toll just over 3 weeks ago... now I'm pretty much off of all of the above as well as salt... Two and a half hours with your main artery blocked leading to damaging your heart down to a 25% strength will force one to change.
So I'll probably try one and leave off the fries.

Cut the carbs, keep the fat. That will clear you up.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Collins:
I have tried it and was amazed at how good it is. I was very skeptical about this thing but I will try just about anything at least once. Went back and had another a few days later. Virtually indistinguishable from real beef!

Don't knock it till you've tried one.

=========================

Steve,

I presume by your location you are referring to the actual Burger King product I was asking about. Do you know if it is made from Beyond Beef or some other commercial product?? (Maybe they are keeping that information proprietary).

I would be interested to know how others in your area are reporting their opinions to you if you hear any feedback from them.

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
BK was put on my "never ever again even if I'm starving" list long ago.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
And hamburger is also a similar oxymoron since burgers you crave don't have ham in them.
I believe "hanburgers" were named after the German city, Hamburg (although I'm not secure as to the connection). "Frankfurters" were named after Frankfurt, too. (And "wieners" from Wien (Vienna). I remember in high school when the cafeteria called hot dogs "Vienna in bun".)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
I believe "hanburgers" were named after the German city, Hamburg (although I'm not secure as to the connection). "Frankfurters" were named after Frankfurt, too. (And "wieners" from Wien (Vienna). I remember in high school when the cafeteria called hot dogs "Vienna in bun".)

flashguy

and yet the Hamburger as we know it today was invented in Connecticut.(At a vastly over rated restaurant I might add.)

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I like beef. I eat beef. Good stuff!

Having said that, recently I’ve been buying freshly ground pork at my favorite local grocery stores fresh meat case. It’s ground fresh several times a day, they sell a lot of it. I just tell the guy how much I want, he scoops it out, weighs, wraps and labels it. It’s also fairly lean, not a lot of grease comes out of it.

I don’t know, maybe I’ve had ground beef burgers for so long I’m just enjoying the pork taste, but I like it.

It is a darn good tasty burger, I love the flavor. And it does put the “ham” in hamburger.

BTW in addition to the freshly ground pork, they use it as a base to make Sweet Italian Sausage as well as breakfast sausage. I’m loving it.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post