SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    St. Louis area members - The Impossible Whopper
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

St. Louis area members - The Impossible Whopper Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HighZonie:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Collins:
I have tried it and was amazed at how good it is. I was very skeptical about this thing but I will try just about anything at least once. Went back and had another a few days later. Virtually indistinguishable from real beef!

Don't knock it till you've tried one.

=========================

Steve,

I presume by your location you are referring to the actual Burger King product I was asking about. Do you know if it is made from Beyond Beef or some other commercial product?? (Maybe they are keeping that information proprietary).

I would be interested to know how others in your area are reporting their opinions to you if you hear any feedback from them.

Impossible is actually the brand. Made by Impossible Foods.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
So, Impossible Foods is the company name.

Thanks Arc.

I looked them up here: https://faq.impossiblefoods.co...rticles/360018939274

For anyone interested, there is lots of info on ingredients, nutrition, etc. there.

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I hear bad things about eating too much soy. So I wouldn't really want to try one.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I hear bad things about eating too much soy. So I wouldn't really want to try one.
I've heard the same thing--makes males into metrosexuals.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
I've heard the same thing--makes males into metrosexuals.

flashguy

^^^^^^ I will definately want to check into that! Eek

Do you have any quick reference to the supporting argument of the claim?

Meanwhile, for anyone interested, I found this AP article on the comparison of Beyond Beef, Impossible Burger, and real hamburgers:

Meatsplainer: How new plant-based burgers compare to beef
By CANDICE CHOI

>> https://apnews.com/144141f89d9940b29c0cedde15e93e2f

"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
What a bunch of crusty fucks, you guys are. I can confidently say that those that are complaining about it h have never had a Beyond Meat or Impossible product before.

They are very good, especially for people who after vegetarian and want a burger, for instance.

I'm not a vegetarian and I've had a few of the Beyond burgers from Carl's. Very tasty.

You guys probably poo-pooed fish tacos too.

My wifes a vegetarian and she won't eat any veggie burgers made at any restaurant that also sells similar meat products,

No matter what the company will say, she won't trust that the teens in the back are not slapping that burger on the same griddle/grill where meat products are cooked, much less the counters and tools.

Really don't blame her, after looking into the back area at BugerFI, BK, etc., sure don't see any special vegetarian cooking sections installed.

I'd venture a lot of vegetarians are not going into a BK for a not meat burger simply because of that concern.

She made up some home made veggie burgers, asked me to have one so I fixed it up for lunch on a hot cast iron skillet with bacon....

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hduzLvlMdVg

I'm not allowed to cook veggie burgers anymore...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Seems like they got the flavor down ok by using additives and chemicals.

I guess the big question would be post consumption. Does it behave coming out as well as it goes in?

Anyone remember Olestra used in snacks like chips back in the 90's. Reduced the fat alright, with the cost being bloating and anal leakage.

Diet sodas with the chemical sugar giving some people terrible headaches and actually causing some to gain weight.

I've heard a lot of Taco Bell horror stories over the years. I've often been told this is the result of the "meat" product they use in some of their items.

Time will tell I guess.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I just want to know why if all this vegan shit is so good, why do they always seem to want the product to look and taste like real meat?

That tells me all I need to know about my choices.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6474 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:

They aren't made with soy. Rather, it's pea protein, at least Beyond Meat burgers. The sizzle when you cook them, they are pink on the inside like a medium to medium-well burger, they don't fall through the grill.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
I just want to know why if all this vegan shit is so good, why do they always seem to want the product to look and taste like real meat?

That tells me all I need to know about my choices.

Because that's what the public is used to eating and the products meet those expectations. Beyond Meat also makes crumbles with the taste of ground beef so you can use it as such. Tacos for instance.

If you spend some of this energy you're using to doubt the products to try them, you might be surprised.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
For those who dislike Burger King, but really want to try one of these, I saw this at White Castle yesterday!

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have cousins who are Seventh Day Adventists and vegan. I've eaten meals at their houses and in general found them fairly tasty. However, I don't want to make a habit of such meals.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
quote:

They aren't made with soy. Rather, it's pea protein, at least Beyond Meat burgers. The sizzle when you cook them, they are pink on the inside like a medium to medium-well burger, they don't fall through the grill.

What the heck?!? Soy is the second ingredient behind water in impossible burgers, which this thread is about, not sure what a beyond meat is, but I am pretty sure we are talking about impossible whoppers here.

I posted the ingredient list on pg 2.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
Not being in St. Louis, I can't yet try the Impossible Whopper. but... yesterday.....

I tried the Del Taco Beyond Avocado Taco (seen in the link).

https://www.deltaco.com/beyond

It was remarkably like their beef taco. If I had not known what I was eating, I would have never suspected that it was not their standard fare.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Americans eat a lot of meat. Nearly 3x that of Japan.

There is nothing wrong with trying a soy-based burger. Wonder if it has the same filling effect. It is what they'll be serving exclusively ... in space. Or slime burgers, flavored algae.

If I eat a delicious Italian hoagie, loaded with cured meats, I know it ... for three+ days.

The usual diet of apple cheese bread carrot hummus coffee nuts ... far easier on the gut.

As much as I HATE the phrase, I'll say it. Just sayin'

Camping next month I'll eat plenty of Spam. Salt coma, here I come!

Hey, here's a joke I heard. What do you call a can of vegetarian Spam?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._by_meat_consumption

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I like vegetables, and I like meat. But I want my vegetables in the form of vegetables, and my meat in the form of meat. Trying to make something seem to be like something it wasn't ever intended to be is pretty pointless, imo. Reminds me of this parks and rec scene:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/Q84nfWkLsYU

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Why you shouldn't eat a lot of soy.

Just one article on soy.

Vegetarians, vegans, and anyone who has a large portion of their diet in soy can have problems due to it mimicking estrogen.

Arc.

Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why you shouldn't eat a lot of soy.

Just one article on soy.

Vegetarians, vegans, and anyone who has a large portion of their diet in soy can have problems due to it mimicking estrogen.

=============================================

Eek

Thanks for the link Arc.